• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watch suggestions needed - for a girl (who generally prefers men's watch styles)

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Raven
Hahaha... quit tempting me with things outside of my reach!

+1

I have the Royal Oak GMT/power reserve and I think you're looking at roughly 3 times outside your price range. Some people just post without reading the OP!

B|aze

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wetnose
Stunning design. Does anyone know where I can buy this watch?

Yeah they look great. I have the white model. But they don't make it anymore, so you would have to get a used one. They went out of production about a year ago.

3854948ffd0.jpg

Raven

Reaction score
Originally Posted by venessian
Dornbluth are wonderful. You might email them ([email protected]) to see if they have a dealer in HK. None are listed on their dealer list. Didn't you mention also a GO (that you posted a link to, but now I can't find it) that was similar to one you had seen in a store? I think the model you saw in the store might have been the GO Senator Chronograph XL.
SenatorChronographXL-1.jpg
See also here for white dials with blue hands, if that might appeal to you.

Venessian - I think that's the one I saw at the store. In person, it had a slightly grey dial as opposed to white. I think the price he quoted me was around $6000+? A question though - do you have an idea of how much a discount I can get on a GO if I talk to a dealer? I know it depends on model & brand & exclusivity generally. For example, the store owner said for an entry-level IWC which was around $3500+ ish he could go as steep as a 20% discount. Oh - and I love the white dials with blue hands look too!
laugh.gif

Raven

Reaction score
Originally Posted by B|aze
What about this?
38.5mm with in-house movement

NomosTangomat.jpg

Beauty! How much would that cost? I'm not familiar with Nomos, but I've seen it mentioned a fair bit...

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beauty! How much would that cost? I'm not familiar with Nomos, but I've seen it mentioned a fair bit...

That model is under $2300 at watchbuys.com, which is an authorized US dealer (and a recommended place for buying German watches).

Raven

Reaction score
Originally Posted by spertia
That model is under $2300 at watchbuys.com, which is an authorized US dealer (and a recommended place for buying German watches).
It's within my budget, but pricier than what I expected of a watch that has a newer history. Though it seems consensus on SF is that it's good bang for buck. Well, I'll check it out while I'm in HK too - it's not available where I am. While I don't plan to sell any watch I buy, I'm curious how well Nomos watches resell for/maintain their value?

otheme

Reaction score
Neither the Nomos nor Stowa can be said to have a true in-house movement. Both use a modified ETA/Peseux 7001 movement that beats at 21600 bph. For 2 grand, I would expect to get something that's 28800 bph. Easthetically, the smooth movement of the second hand in a 28800 movement is much more pleasing to the eye.

cluu1

Reaction score
seagull movements are very interesting. I've been wanting to get one for a while,
they're pretty cool.

herenow

Reaction score
If you price out what you are interested in, Hong Kong might be a good deal. Generally, can expect 20-25% off whatever the selling price at the store has the model listed at. (Except for Rolex and whatever is in demand at the moment) And there are no sales taxes on the purchase. Any duties/taxes whe you return home, are another matter.
sarcasm.gif

Just be sure whatever you pick up has a world-wide warranty and it could be a sweet deal.

Raven

Reaction score
Originally Posted by herenow
If you price out what you are interested in, Hong Kong might be a good deal. Generally, can expect 20-25% off whatever the selling price at the store has the model listed at. (Except for Rolex and whatever is in demand at the moment) And there are no sales taxes on the purchase. Any duties/taxes whe you return home, are another matter.
sarcasm.gif

Just be sure whatever you pick up has a world-wide warranty and it could be a sweet deal.

Good call on the world-wide warranty.

For the veterans: on haggling/negotiating prices on watches - do you really have to twist their arm to get the 20-25% discount? Or would they just give it if you ask upfront? Guess I'm trying to decide how to approach the salespeople when I'm over in HK.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good call on the world-wide warranty.

For the veterans: on haggling/negotiating prices on watches - do you really have to twist their arm to get the 20-25% discount? Or would they just give it if you ask upfront? Guess I'm trying to decide how to approach the salespeople when I'm over in HK.

If it's anything like Singapore, just be direct about it and ask them for their best price... You may have to repeat yourself a couple of times to get the price down lower, but just be thick-skinned and persevere.

Mr. Lee

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses so far!

Alpha: Yeah, I'm kind of aware that I'll have only entry-level watches at under $5000 (and I'm completely fine with that), and probably very few that do in-house. I think GO does, but again over $5K. I was thinking about the IWC Portofino as the starter watch to look at (esp. since there's a new 2011 line coming up) but I guess you kind of burst the bubble on that one - that it's higher than 5K : )

I would be hesitant to buy a watch used simply because I'm not particularly experienced, so I wouldn't know if I'm getting a good deal based on quality of the used watch.

And on the Omega... is there a few models you would suggest I look at? I was hesitant to look at them for the same reason as why I wouldn't really want to buy Rolex - because it's pretty common. But at least much less so, it seems.

GBear: The Maurice Lacroix looks interesting (the pic is pretty cool, maybe a bit too busy for my tastes); I'll check it out.

Spertia: Not sure if I want to buy from Cartier... If possible, I'd like to buy from a dedicated watchmaker.

For my price range - are there any watch brands/models I should stay away from?

For the Omega would you be interested in the fairly new Planet Ocean with a wicked orange rubber bracelet? Rolex is overpriced, not that I wouldn't take one if someone gave it to me.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Venessian - I think that's the one I saw at the store. In person, it had a slightly grey dial as opposed to white. I think the price he quoted me was around $6000+?

A question though - do you have an idea of how much a discount I can get on a GO if I talk to a dealer? I know it depends on model & brand & exclusivity generally. For example, the store owner said for an entry-level IWC which was around $3500+ ish he could go as steep as a 20% discount.

Oh - and I love the white dials with blue hands look too!
laugh.gif

Yes, the dial on the GO Chronograph XL is German silver, not white enamel. $6000+ seems high.

I can't really answer your GO discount question; I have never shopped in HK or Singapore so I don't know the culture there. That will depend a lot, I think, on model, store, availability, salesperson mood, etc. I would suggest researching prices on whatever model you decide to buy, and go in with that info in mind. The best approach is to be courteous and professional, obviously, and as academe mentioned, a bit persistent as well.

Raven

Reaction score
Originally Posted by venessian
Yes, the dial on the GO Chronograph XL is German silver, not white enamel. $6000+ seems high.

I can't really answer your GO discount question; I have never shopped in HK or Singapore so I don't know the culture there. That will depend a lot, I think, on model, store, availability, salesperson mood, etc. I would suggest researching prices on whatever model you decide to buy, and go in with that info in mind. The best approach is to be courteous and professional, obviously, and as academe mentioned, a bit persistent as well.

Thanks Venessian - really appreciate the help!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads