• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. There is nothing wrong with being a public servant despite what people say (I'm not btw but rely on them for a lot of business in my 9-5), but nice name none the less.

If you need any help locally on places to go for various things then shoot me a pm and I can help you out. Our nations capital, while a beautiful city can be a sartorial wasteland at the best of times. Good to see a few more Canberrans on the site lately.

Yika

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lowly Public Servant
G'day,

I am new to the forum and thought I would introduce myself here. I know I could have done this in one of the 'introduce yourself' threads but being that I am an Aussie I thought this thread would be a little more appropriate.

Bit about me: I just left the ADF and now work as a lowly public servant in Canberra. After about 10 years of being told what to wear each day I now have to think for myself and it is a hell of a lot harder than I thought it would be.

I don't reckon that I will post to the forum too much and if I do it will probably only be to ask questions. I definitely won't be posting any pictures here as I am no where near the calibre of the other members. There is so much that I don't know about men's clothing and the different ways to wear it, make it, buy it, etc that I am really really glad I stumbled across Styleforum. The information and people that can be found here are a valuable resource.

If you are in Canberra and happen to see a lowly public servant that is trying to stand out from the rest of the APS crowd style wise (but probably ******* it up) then stop to say g'day.

LPS
smile.gif

Welcome !

3ff3z8e

Reaction score
G'day, I am new to the forum and thought I would introduce myself here. I know I could have done this in one of the 'introduce yourself' threads but being that I am an Aussie I thought this thread would be a little more appropriate. Bit about me: I just left the ADF and now work as a lowly public servant in Canberra. After about 10 years of being told what to wear each day I now have to think for myself and it is a hell of a lot harder than I thought it would be. I don't reckon that I will post to the forum too much and if I do it will probably only be to ask questions. I definitely won't be posting any pictures here as I am no where near the calibre of the other members. There is so much that I don't know about men's clothing and the different ways to wear it, make it, buy it, etc that I am really really glad I stumbled across Styleforum. The information and people that can be found here are a valuable resource. If you are in Canberra and happen to see a lowly public servant that is trying to stand out from the rest of the APS crowd style wise (but probably ******* it up) then stop to say g'day. LPS
smile.gif

Welcome to the forum LPS! Like you I'm relatively new as well, but it's been a very helpful forum for someone who's had no dress sense until he was 26. Hope the experience will be the same for you as well.
smile.gif

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
G'day,

I am new to the forum and thought I would introduce myself here. I know I could have done this in one of the 'introduce yourself' threads but being that I am an Aussie I thought this thread would be a little more appropriate.

Bit about me: I just left the ADF and now work as a lowly public servant in Canberra. After about 10 years of being told what to wear each day I now have to think for myself and it is a hell of a lot harder than I thought it would be.

I don't reckon that I will post to the forum too much and if I do it will probably only be to ask questions. I definitely won't be posting any pictures here as I am no where near the calibre of the other members. There is so much that I don't know about men's clothing and the different ways to wear it, make it, buy it, etc that I am really really glad I stumbled across Styleforum. The information and people that can be found here are a valuable resource.

If you are in Canberra and happen to see a lowly public servant that is trying to stand out from the rest of the APS crowd style wise (but probably ******* it up) then stop to say g'day.

LPS
smile.gif

LPS, welcome to the forum.

I'm also in the APS, albeit in Brisbane.

Given that you are in Canberra, I'm sure that you'll rise up through the ranks fairly quickly, as hardly anything down there is below an APS6 and there are EL1 positions aplenty!

I'll try to send you a message when I'm next in Canberra and perhaps we can catch up for a drink.

Cheers,
Journeyman

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
G'day, I am new to the forum and thought I would introduce myself here. I know I could have done this in one of the 'introduce yourself' threads but being that I am an Aussie I thought this thread would be a little more appropriate. Bit about me: I just left the ADF and now work as a lowly public servant in Canberra. After about 10 years of being told what to wear each day I now have to think for myself and it is a hell of a lot harder than I thought it would be.
Welcome - although the Oz thread is generalist- i like to think its friendly and lacks the juvenile gauche competitiveness and general immaturity of much of the rest of SF and so is a good place to discuss a range of clothing issues. In addition there must be some style or solutions that are relatively "uniquely" Australian. Re ADF I've just been wondering if the general sloppyness/looseness (I mean that as a description not judgement) of clothing reflects the general *military trend away from a tailored fitted look to say loose camouflage fatigues/ T shirts etc. I have no timelines or photos yet - so I may be well off the mark. * given that military influence/tailoring is behind much of the suit and formal wear.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
LPS, welcome to the forum.

I'm also in the APS, albeit in Brisbane.

Given that you are in Canberra, I'm sure that you'll rise up through the ranks fairly quickly, as hardly anything down there is below an APS6 and there are EL1 positions aplenty!

I'll try to send you a message when I'm next in Canberra and perhaps we can catch up for a drink.

Cheers,
Journeyman

Perhaps we should try to have a Canberra SF get together one day?

tone76

Reaction score
+1 Welcome LPS!

I've also spent much of the last 34 years very poorly dressed, but this is something I've started to remedy.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The beauty of Canberra, asisde from the public servants, is that it is only a few hours drive to Sydney.

There a couple of good menswear stores in Civic, I don't think I am groovy enough to shop in Kingston or Manuka.

DJ's are good at sale time but nowdays I either shop online or go down to Sydney.

As for a SF get together that would be interesting. The Wig & Pen would be a great place for it.

cold war painter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
Welcome - although the Oz thread is generalist- i like to think its friendly and lacks the juvenile gauche competitiveness and general immaturity of much of the rest of SF and so is a good place to discuss a range of clothing issues.
Yeah, there's a couple of spots on SF that are relatively sane and this is one of them.
Originally Posted by fxh
the general *military trend away from a tailored fitted look to say loose camouflage fatigues/ T shirts etc.
That's an interesting idea, worth looking into. Oh, and welcome LPS. I lived in Canberra for a couple of years myself & still have relatives there. The rest of Oz looks down on the place but I'm quite fond of it.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Welcome LPS. I've learned a great many things on SF and hope you have the same fortune.

CHECKstar

Reaction score
Ok gents, what's the likelihood of picking up a decent pair of desert boots in Melbourne? I have done a bit of snooping around and the only ones that I could find were surprisingly locally made "˜Rossi Boots' - I personally have never heard of them before but apparently they have been around since 1910. After a bit of a search online I noted that Sam Bear on Russel St stocks them so I made the trip up at lunchtime and low and behold they did! They seemed quite chunky and rustic, with a rather thick sole. That said, I have not much else to compare them to. Any other alternatives?

Oh, and welcome to the forum Lowly Public Servant - I would agree with all the welcoming comments so far, epically fxh's comments.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Ernesto
Cufflinks - any suggestions on where to buy, what looks good?

I'm in need of a new pair or two.

Cufflinks are definitely a matter of personal taste, but IMO you can't go wrong with a simple pair of solid silver or plain gold cufflinks (depending on the metal of your other jewelry).

Definitely avoid:
a) national flags
b) novelty cufflinks ('hot' and 'cold' taps etc.)
c) anything plasticky - they won't last

We all love Herringbone but I personally think their cufflinks are their best offering. Not cheap, but they are the traditional one-piece and usually quite tastefully decorated.

David Jones also had a surprisingly large collection last time I was there - especially if you are into more colourful English cufflinks, crystal links, or playful (I wouldn't quite say 'novelty', though some of them are and should be avoided) links from the likes of Paul Smith, and the markups aren't too bad considering the prices to order online from the designers work out the same.

Cufflinks I guess are one of those types of things you collect from all sorts of places - I have quite a few nice ones but (not intentionally) no more than one pair from the same source.

bhall41

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley
Cufflinks are definitely a matter of personal taste, but IMO you can't go wrong with a simple pair of solid silver or plain gold cufflinks (depending on the metal of your other jewelry).

Definitely avoid:
a) national flags
b) novelty cufflinks ('hot' and 'cold' taps etc.)
c) anything plasticky - they won't last

We all love Herringbone but I personally think their cufflinks are their best offering. Not cheap, but they are the traditional one-piece and usually quite tastefully decorated.

David Jones also had a surprisingly large collection last time I was there - especially if you are into more colourful English cufflinks, crystal links, or playful (I wouldn't quite say 'novelty', though some of them are and should be avoided) links from the likes of Paul Smith, and the markups aren't too bad considering the prices to order online from the designers work out the same.

Cufflinks I guess are one of those types of things you collect from all sorts of places - I have quite a few nice ones but (not intentionally) no more than one pair from the same source.

I have in the past purchased vintage cufflinks from www.retrocufflinks.com.au Good selection, reasonably priced AND local.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads