• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art

artoftime

Reaction score
To me, Longo is redeemed for his past sins with his recent (few years) charcoal drawing work.
Many collectors agree - he sells the **** out of them.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by artoftime
To me, Longo is redeemed for his past sins with his recent (few years) charcoal drawing work. Many collectors agree - he sells the **** out of them.
the titty drawings and the sharks? i'm not so into that stuff, but like peyton, longo has always sold well despite my bafflement. nice to have another member who is interested in contemporary art btw.

artoftime

Reaction score
Longo's huge charcoal drawing exhibitions at Metro Pictures are certainly a spectacle - not necessarily the waves, sharks, *******, etc and the stuff that are basically posters and prints.
Perhaps it's just a nod to artist that honed in on the one area of his oeuvre that is actually decent.
Maybe it's just a shrewd business move.
Agreed on Sherman.
They are two of the lucky ones - most artists that enjoyed incredible success in the 1980's, are now has-beens. (ahem...Rich has-beens)
Yes, this threak is about 5 members strong!
fistbump.gif

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
lol, i said peyton but you can throw cindy in there too. we have her to thank for an entire sub genre of ****** college girl photography. i always thought of longo as more of a graphic artist, which is maybe why his newer stuff makes me
confused.gif
men in the city is the only thing i've ever felt was worth looking at by him. the sharks and cowboy hat are OK. btw, since you mentioned Metro Pictures, i
inlove.gif
Olaf Breuning. they have a pretty good roster although it isn't totally clear to me, living in LA, who they represent and who they simply have works available by.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aphextwin07
I prefer my art in the form of music and film, personally.

then might i direct you to the entertainment subforum, where you can post about them in one of the many threads there dedicated to each medium.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol, i said peyton but you can throw cindy in there too. we have her to thank for an entire sub genre of ****** college girl photography.
This used to make me so angry. I had professors criticizing my work for being not conceptual enough while jacking off all over middle-class girls doing self-portraits ripping off Sherman (and Nan Goldin to a lesser extent, none of them were willing to **** with heroin). I'm a straight, white male, how am I supposed to do that kind of low hanging fruit identity bullshit?

I was 19 or 20 at the time and wasn't yet capable of arguing the concept behind my work - isolation, class issues, etc., and was being influenced by Hiroshi Sugimoto, Uta Barth, Bernd and Hilla Becher rather than Sherman and hacks like JP Witkin.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got my revenge by doing some absurdly bad series on suicide and depression - double exposures with me holding a gun to my head and **** wrists (using syrup for blood - what up Alfred Hitchcock) and such. My professor in that class went apeshit for it.

Found the negatives recently, burned them.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
lol. good work. i'm sure he also would have accepted sympathetic photos of homeless men. nice references too, some of my favorite photographers in there.

artoftime

Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
This used to make me so angry. I had professors criticizing my work for being not conceptual enough while jacking off all over middle-class girls doing self-portraits ripping off Sherman (and Nan Goldin to a lesser extent, none of them were willing to **** with heroin). I'm a straight, white male, how am I supposed to do that kind of low hanging fruit identity bullshit?
Succinct. The art world is a wicked and incredibly political place...much like other entertainment related industries.
uhoh.gif

I was 19 or 20 at the time and wasn't yet capable of arguing the concept behind my work - isolation, class issues, etc., and was being influenced by Hiroshi Sugimoto, Uta Barth, Bernd and Hilla Becher rather than Sherman and hacks like JP Witkin.

Sugimoto, Barth, the Bechers are all steeped in a classical elegance that is borne out of a bygone era.
Art professors are obsessed with their own egos and making their own art/careers - students are all dreaming of landing the cover of Artforvm while still in College - and being picked up by an A-list NYC gallery while still undergrads.
It's insidious, I'm afraid.

Annadale

Reaction score
My ex works at our local college, and every year at the degree show exhibition there is always some poor girl that thinks that making ******-like gourds out of 'found objects' is the height of post modern feminist art.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm rather ignorant to art so I like the things just about everyone knows about or things that speak to me culturally. Of this nature....
785px-Sisley-Bridge_at_Villeneuve-la-Garenne.jpg
Gullah_s_carolina_1790.jpg

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads