• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you had 500k, what business would you start ?

newinny

Reaction score
I would create an online forum where men would take pictures of themselves in their favorite outfits for others to critique. \t
biggrin.gif

NameBack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Monaco
Farm

When inflation skyrockets the prices of food, local farmers will be rich.

I don't think you understand what inflation is....

olualbert

Reaction score
I will not start any business, I will invest in Gold and Silver...I mean physical gold then sit on it, when everything collapses, then I will think of liquidating.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by olualbert
I will not start any business, I will invest in Gold and Silver...I mean physical gold then sit on it, when everything collapses, then I will think of liquidating.

I will invest in guns, ammo, and local thugs to come raid your stash.

ImaPro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something that I was passionate about? Probably a paintball field/store. But I wouldn't open one in reality.

NameBack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
serious q, do you think getting something like a consultancy would require so much capital to start ? Wouldnt a consultancy be revenue generating and at least covering expenses from the very start ?

Not unless you have clients lined up and waiting, and staff willing to work for free until you get going.

I mean, you can start a consulting firm for less than 500k, easily, but having that much capital will really help you get moving.

Meanwhile, 500k isn't really very much if you're talking about something brick-and-mortar that has overhead and staff. You could spend half of that just on a kitchen for a restaurant.

NameBack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

haha, I love this mentality

you realize that if everything collapses, gold will lose its value almost entirely, right? Because the value of gold depends on speculative financial markets, which depend on society not collapsing.

If society collapses, the sound investments will be dried/canned food, medicine, and weapons.

But I will enjoy laughing at all the gold bugs desperately trying to trade a heavy, useless metal for things that people actually need.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a crepe stand in Breckenridge (that I think is open 24/7) that always has 5-10 people in line. Can't imagine how much they actually bring in. Charging around 5 bucks for crepes that cost cents to make. Something small like that woudl be fun to run.

+1 to the ice cream/gelato idea.

I would like to start my own small charter/resort flying business, but 500k wouldn't even come close to being enough.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NameBack
haha, I love this mentality

you realize that if everything collapses, gold will lose its value almost entirely, right? Because the value of gold depends on speculative financial markets, which depend on society not collapsing.

If society collapses, the sound investments will be dried/canned food, medicine, and weapons.

But I will enjoy laughing at all the gold bugs desperately trying to trade a heavy, useless metal for things that people actually need.

+100

If society ever collapses, and all order breaks down, the only thing that will matter is who's armed and who isn't. Gold won't be worth its own weight.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ Bibles will be quite precious as well.

olualbert

Reaction score
I think you really need to read to understand what's going on in the world....

olualbert

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Carlos
+100

If society ever collapses, and all order breaks down, the only thing that will matter is who's armed and who isn't. Gold won't be worth its own weight.

I agree, but you will need precious metal to buy goods and services

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I agree, but you will need precious metal to buy goods and services
Probably not, actually. In total anarchy, things will revert to a barter economy. You'll trade 5 shotgun shells and 1 chicken for a few pounds of beef, or what have you. Land, and the ability to successfully defend it, will also be at a premium. The most likely "currency" to emerge will be grain -- which can be stored almost indefinitely under the right conditions, and can also feed people and livestock. Currency as we know it, let alone trading of precious metals, will not return in earnest unless and until civilization is restored.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads