• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boots: Should I?

Scrappy

Reaction score
I've got my eyes on a pair of Timberland Earthkeepers but I'll be honest, I have zero fashion sense. I was thinking I'd pair them with some jeans and... and... I don't know what, but something.

http://www.shoes.com/p-ec1002092.shtml

If you check out the rugged first date that's kind of what I'm thinking of putting together. Opinions?
http://www.menshealth.com/style/dressright/

While we're talking rugged fashion, what are your opinions on brown bomber jackets? I've got a Johnston & Murphy one that I love, but I've read mixed reviews on the whole leather jacket thing. Someone said the jacket and boots was trying too hard, and then suggested a preppy outfit which, to my mind, is trying too hard. Doesn't suit my personality at all. The jacket and boots just seem right to me. But then I am trying to dress to impress women, and if a leather jacket is just plain tacky I'll hang it up when I'm on a date.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrappy
I've got my eyes on a pair of Timberland Earthkeepers but I'll be honest, I have zero fashion sense. I was thinking I'd pair them with some jeans and... and... I don't know what, but something.

If you check out the rugged first date that's kind of what I'm thinking of putting together. Opinions?
http://www.menshealth.com/style/dressright/

While we're talking rugged fashion, what are your opinions on brown bomber jackets? I've got a Johnston & Murphy one that I love, but I've read mixed reviews on the whole leather jacket thing. Someone said the jacket and boots was trying too hard, and then suggested a preppy outfit which, to my mind, is trying too hard. Doesn't suit my personality at all. The jacket and boots just seem right to me. But then I am trying to dress to impress women, and if a leather jacket is just plain tacky I'll hang it up when I'm on a date.

May I suggest wearing the Leather Bomber and the Timberland Boots separate.Boots with a decent Denim Jacket(years ago I had a Marlboro one,with a Leather Collar).Leather Bomber with smart casual.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tomorrowstars
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=69462

^ As a member who's been around for a while, I don't always find that thread useful so I'm starting to why these "special flower" threads are getting started more and more.

Anyway, to the OP, I have a pair of the Earthkeeper boots (not sure if they're the same ones as the first link doesn't work for me from work - it's blocked), but I use the boot for trips to construction sites or for shoveling snow or when weather is shite out there. I don't think the Timberland boots should be on your list for pairing in a standard casual outfit, that combo is high school status.

Not sure you're age obviously, but find yourself a better less rugged pair of boots for casual outfits with denim or khakis if that's what you plan on pairing with a leather jacket. More like a leather or suede dessert boot or ankle boot.

cowsareforeating

Reaction score
the fits on that website are horrible. i suggest browsing waywt on here and earthkeepers are fine if thats the look you're going for.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
too pathetic for words

Scrappy

Reaction score
What's up with replies like that? ^^^

Everywhere I've gone to get some advice I get a few good suggestions and then someone comes along and says something completely pointless without adding anything of value. Don't like the boots? Give me some constructive criticism. Point me in the right direction. Or just keep quiet.

Not all of us are keyed into the hive-mind that is fashion sense.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're decent shoes.
That Mens Health article is really ******* bad.
Lane is an ass, Uncontrol is not but he acts like one. Ignore them both for the first six months on this board.
Check my sig for another pair of Timberlands. Pretty decent shoes, but not as easy to wear or match as a plain black or brown pair. I'll cut you a deal.

UC: Why do you go into threads like this, threads that you know will be totally boring to you, just to talk **** and be a little bit nasty to a newb/someone that has different ideas than you?

i10casual

Reaction score
I have not read any of the above posts. I just wanted to say I work with the same leather that is on the boots. It scratches really easy and is a pain. I'm talking finger nails, anything will leave a mark. I'm sure a polish will take most of it. Just a heads up.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
UC: Why do you go into threads like this, threads that you know will be totally boring to you, just to talk **** and be a little bit nasty to a newb/someone that has different ideas than you?

mostly because i often find funny things like that men's health page

i was making fun of that moreso than the OP. i don't even remember what this topic is about

Crockostyle

Reaction score

I have a couple pairs of these boots, and I don't know that I'd recommend them at full price or even anything over about $75. They look decent and the leather, contrary to the poster above, is of pretty decent quality. The zipper broke on one pair, which isn't such a big deal. However, the midsole in these boots is pretty much non-existent. It's somewhat disconcerting to be able to feel every tiny variation in the ground through the rubber outsole and insole. I've not experienced this on any other pair of shoes, so, while I like the aesthetic of the boots well enough, their basic functionality as a pair of shoes leaves something to be desired.

If you're looking for a similar look, though a bit more, er, rugged, I would suggest the LL Bean Katadhins. They get a lot of love on this forum, especially once oiled up, and are going to be a much better, more functional, piece of footwear. Cheaper too.

Just one n00b helping another.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's up with replies like that? ^^^

Everywhere I've gone to get some advice I get a few good suggestions and then someone comes along and says something completely pointless without adding anything of value. Don't like the boots? Give me some constructive criticism. Point me in the right direction. Or just keep quiet.

Not all of us are keyed into the hive-mind that is fashion sense.

lol @ hive mind...I just can't get over that mens health site. If you thought the advice on there was worth attention please stab yourself in the eye socket.

*#..

Reaction score
It's ok Scrappy, don't feel too intimidated by some the posters here. I got your back
biggrin.gif
. You can definitely work on your own style and find what looks best on you. I wouldn't recommend those boots (never used them); they don't look like they're worth $175. Lurk around styleforum to learn more about clothing in general. Look through some of the established threads with lots of replies/views. You'll have a better idea of what to buy after exposing yourself to more things. Also, temple of jawnz makes great, classic leather jackets at a decent price: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=138419 To get you started on your search for your own style, go find out what measurements fit you best when buying shirts. Take your best fitting button-down and measure it. If you don't have a good fitting one, go get yourself measured. A quick google search should tell you how to measure yourself. Know your chest (double your pit-pit measurement), shirt length, sleeve length, shoulder, and collar measurements. Understand that a lot of retailers you have bought clothes from most likely don't fit you very nicely.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads