• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alternatives to DivX?

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
Do they routinely issue firmware updates? I came close to getting a DVD player similar to this but decided against it assuming that something that cheap would be out of date and scrapped in a year or so.

I opted for the WD TV because regardless how cheap that one is, at least I can be relatively sure there will be firmware/codec updates.

Never updated firmware since I got it. Only thing I did was input some code to allow it to be region free (available online if you google).

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My TV (samsung) has a built-in media player through USB/network. It can read hard drives and everything else.

It doesn't have a seek bar, but there's some function that lets you skip from like 30 seconds to 5 minutes to something like 1/8th way through files at a time. The fast foward works okay too.

What really surprised me about it is just how well it works. It plays anything from mpegs to h264 mkvs. It's actually got better compatibility with files I've downloaded online than PowerDVD 10 does on a computer.

tphd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fraiche
Avoid this like the plague. This is product of spamville.

wtf. cccp is a pretty well known codec pack.

another option :
windows media player 11 or some other DLNA software to stream to your xbox 360 / ps3

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fraiche
Never updated firmware since I got it. Only thing I did was input some code to allow it to be region free (available online if you google).

Ahh, cool. I saw that on the amazon reviews heh.

Also, for those advocating codec packs...completely unnecessary unless you watch wayyyy too much p2p Appreciation. Xvid and (to a lesser extent) Quicktime Alternative should be the only video codecs you really need.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
+1 /\\ Avoid installing Codecs as much as possible. It'll mess things up.

Media Player Classic Home Cinema has built in codecs, DivX and Xvid included.

http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/downlo...lassic-hc.html

As does VLC (I think).....well I *know* VLC has flv support built in natively, so I'm assuming it has Divx/Xvid too. Haven't used VLC in a while, I fell in love with Totem.

pseudonym

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will never understand why people have anything other than VLC for playing video.

So yes, the answer is VLC for all your needs.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pseudonym
I will never understand why people have anything other than VLC for playing video.

If I watched stuff on Windows I'd probably use VLC (or MPC), but Totem for Linux rocks.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deadly7
I use mplayer.

Don't use mplayer, but I LOVE mencoder. Only thing I can find that will convert the Kodak proprietary Quicktime video format into anything else. Even Quicktime itself can't convert the videos made on this Kodak Zi8 "flip cam" whatever the hell it is.

aphextwin07

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pseudonym

because MPC is better in certain aspects, VLC is better for others... at the end of the day though I think MPC is slightly better and I use it as a default.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aphextwin07
because MPC is better in certain aspects, VLC is better for others... at the end of the day though I think MPC is slightly better and I use it as a default.

This man knows his ****.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aphextwin07

+1, I always chose MPC over VLC when I was using Windows. Don't know why, I just preferred MPC.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads