• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quality of Tombolini suits/jackets?

fredrik80

Reaction score
Has anyone got experience with the italian brand Tombolini? How good are their suits and jackets? Fused, partially canvassed or fully canvassed?

I know they produce for Ferre, Dell Acqua and Thierry Mugler but not much more info ...

fredrik80

Reaction score
Damn, i was hoping for atleast partially canvassed. I read on another board that they had canvassed lapels atleast (like most italian midrange brands)
There's a really nice navy pinstripe 2 button suit on yoox now for just about $200, then the 10% yoox coupon against@yoox for even more discount

Worth taking a chance on =)

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'd say it is definitely worth $200.

My experience with the company is limited for their own line and while it certainly isn't Kiton, it also isn't garbage. The cuts and style were the best point... not quite so fashion forward as some of the brands they make for, but also not terribly boring. If you wear a suit day in/day out for work, I probably wouldn't recommend it, but if you want it for going out and such, I think it would be fine.

Digby

Reaction score
I have a beautiful brown plaid Tombolini jacket that I bought while in Italy a few years ago. It still gets compliments whether I wear it with grey flannels or jeans. I've practically lived in this thing and it's held together really well. I travel a lot and it's always my "go to" jacket. I will be a wreck if something happens to it.

fredrik80

Reaction score
Received it a few days ago and it was pretty decent. fused construction but very soft and thin fusing, like the better RL blue label suits. some nice halfmoon stitching around pockets etc, nice fabric too. Good deal for $190 incl shipping, cheaper than H&M suits =)

pkiula

Reaction score
Bought one today at a very very good deal. It's surely not fused only. Tombolini seem to be tailors, in Italy, who make stuff for many higher-order brands.

I tried to Google for the brand, and this thread seems most google-optimized
smile.gif

Here's some info I found:
http://www.tombolini.it/en/collections.html

Trendy cuts. Very trendy.

But unlike the likes of, say, Isaia, Tombolini seems to be more down to earth in its pricing (sidebar: why would one want to splurge on Isaia at those prices, when we could get Canali or Zegna or Corneliani at same ballpark?).

I saw some fused, very ordinary stuff from Tombolini, but priced accordingly. A blazer with bluish herringbone and a Drop 8 type cut was for about 350-ish. Worth it for casual wear.

But they also have superbly crafted fully canvassed suits. Those were more expensive, in the $1200 range.

Then they had truly interesting stuff like a 100% cashmere suit without any padding in light camel shade. Great for people with olive skin.

Their website seems to be not very search engine optimized, but they do some good work and for decent prices. I especially loved their cuts. For the leaner gentlemen, they can easily be in the consideration set. Don't expect a Zegna construction -- but then some colorful variety in one's wardrobe is fun.

pkiula

Reaction score
Just to add, they seem to be featured in some magazines too, so they're not a totally unknown brand

http://www.tombolini.it/en/pressroom.html

Note: not associated with them in any way. Perhaps trying to justify my purchase
smile.gif
-- but only a bit. It's not often that a new brand impresses..

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pkiula
But unlike the likes of, say, Isaia, Tombolini seems to be more down to earth in its pricing (sidebar: why would one want to splurge on Isaia at those prices, when we could get Canali or Zegna or Corneliani at same ballpark?).

because Isaia better made than all the 3 brands you mentioned ?
confused.gif

pkiula

Reaction score
Absolutely. There's a reason Tom Ford has chosen to work with Zegna.

I still have to see a suit better done than some of my Zegnas. I guess Kiton, Brioni, etc would be there. Corneliani and Canali mainline are pretty stellar too.

Anyway, don't want to sabotage this thread with another fanboy thread. If Isaia suits you (no pun intended) then so be it. I still have to see something as superlative as you seem to suggest, but maybe I haven't seen their best stuff.

clintonf

Reaction score
Absolutely. There's a reason Tom Ford has chosen to work with Zegna.

I still have to see a suit better done than some of my Zegnas. I guess Kiton, Brioni, etc would be there. Corneliani and Canali mainline are pretty stellar too.

Anyway, don't want to sabotage this thread with another fanboy thread. If Isaia suits you (no pun intended) then so be it. I still have to see something as superlative as you seem to suggest, but maybe I haven't seen their best stuff.

Hi, I'm certainly not trying to jump on anyone here. I do have a question about your observations. Would you please provide your basis for comparison of the brands?

Are you talking about Zegna Couture or Zegna Mainline?
Are you talking about Canal Exclusive or Canali Mainline?

Whilst I don't own a suit manufactured Canali Exclusive, I do own items (read suits) from Zegna Mainline, Zegna Couture, Canali Mainline and Isaia Mainline. So i'd be interested to read how you drew your conclusion that Isaia isn't better Zegna and/or Canali?

Thanks

Clint

pkiula

Reaction score
I'm talking mainline for both Z and C.

Why both appeal to me more than Isaia:

1. Natural shoulder fall instead of overly droopy wannabe "slim" style. When I want snug fits, Zegna Milano and Canali's 14000 are both good, modern fits for me without being a second skin. Milano's shoulder drape is a bit like Kiton's as you know.

2. Isaia's fabrics are occasionally nice. But I've seen a ton of gibberish without fine sartorial details. Wonder if they have lower lines like "Z Zegna" drivel? Mainline Z and C's fabrics are super while being workhorses. Even my 15milmil15s have weathered well with very frequent wear and travel. Btw, I've seen several Isaias with super 100 (not something I'd invest in at that price) and yet there are others that have made me wonder if it's the softest wool I've ever touched.

3. Fabric patterns more understated, classier, more elegant than the fashion forward stuff I see from Isaia. In this, tastes surely vary and mine is simple: effortless design instead of shiny stripes and checks are more confident and more appropriate to business attire. I'm in a more flexible corporate sector -- not regular law or banking etc, and I still want understated man suits, not the colorful stuff preferred by boys.

Anyway, Isaia I'm sure makes topnotch stuff and let me not get into a discussion about which is better. Z, C and Isaia are all pretty good suits with good materials. Personally, even Armani and such have not worked for me, ever. Isaia is just one of those lines. (Perhaps the dearth of occasions to truly Isaia's range is one of the reasons--their availability is fairly limited.)

clintonf

Reaction score
I'm talking mainline for both Z and C.

Why both appeal to me more than Isaia:

1. Natural shoulder fall instead of overly droopy wannabe "slim" style. When I want snug fits, Zegna Milano and Canali's 14000 are both good, modern fits for me without being a second skin. Milano's shoulder drape is a bit like Kiton's as you know.

2. Isaia's fabrics are occasionally nice. But I've seen a ton of gibberish without fine sartorial details. Wonder if they have lower lines like "Z Zegna" drivel? Mainline Z and C's fabrics are super while being workhorses. Even my 15milmil15s have weathered well with very frequent wear and travel. Btw, I've seen several Isaias with super 100 (not something I'd invest in at that price) and yet there are others that have made me wonder if it's the softest wool I've ever touched.

3. Fabric patterns more understated, classier, more elegant than the fashion forward stuff I see from Isaia. In this, tastes surely vary and mine is simple: effortless design instead of shiny stripes and checks are more confident and more appropriate to business attire. I'm in a more flexible corporate sector -- not regular law or banking etc, and I still want understated man suits, not the colorful stuff preferred by boys.

Anyway, Isaia I'm sure makes topnotch stuff and let me not get into a discussion about which is better. Z, C and Isaia are all pretty good suits with good materials. Personally, even Armani and such have not worked for me, ever. Isaia is just one of those lines. (Perhaps the dearth of occasions to truly Isaia's range is one of the reasons--their availability is fairly limited.)

Thanks for taking the time to explain. My reason for asking is that your comparison may be understood differently by some people here (myself included) without the above qualification.

Most people here seem to discuss aspects such as the amount of handwork, finish, availability of fabrics and fit of various makers. I just hoped that you'd clarify your rational for the comparison, something that you did do.

What I've generally found is that the "higher" up the construction chain you get, the more delicate the garment is. This may not suit all tastes.

Thanks again

Clint

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads