• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is French Style to you?

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm deeply saddened to see that Le Corbusuier has made it into any thread on style. The triumph of ego over talent, Nationality notwithstanding. So without further ado...
Le_chateau_de_Vaux_le_Vicomte.jpg
krug%20normale.jpg
org_item_1283438654.jpg
3751206299_43d2bc22de.jpg
249112349qXxvLp_ph.jpg
91418922_c99f6729b2.jpg
Sevres-Porcelain-Urn.jpg
800px-M%C3%A9tropolitainAbbesses.jpg
249112349qXxvLp_ph.jpg
249112349qXxvLp_ph.jpg

artoftime

Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
I'm deeply saddened to see that Le Corbusuier has made it into any thread on style. The triumph of ego over talent, Nationality notwithstanding.

Without Corbusier's influence and essential views on modernism (i.e. 5 points of new architecture manifesto), we might all be subject to the wanton ornamentation of every damned object in existence. It's easy to see (both by your photos and sig) that you would not appreciate him.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm deeply saddened to see that Le Corbusuier has made it into any thread on style. The triumph of ego over talent, Nationality notwithstanding.

Boo.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Mike

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by artoftime
Without Corbusier's influence and essential views on modernism (i.e. 5 points of new architecture manifesto), we might all be subject to the wanton ornamentation of every damned object in existence. It's easy to see (both by your photos and sig) that you would not appreciate him.
Firstly, Le Corbusier wasn't the first architect to advocate the removal of ostentation. Loos did it before him and there were others before Loos. No, I've never appreciated people with a totalitarian 'vision' of the world, that is, that there vision trumps everyone else's 'vision'. Have you ever read 'Toward a new Architecture' ? This sums up the Le Corbusier oeuvre. '...We must see to the establishment of standards so that we can face up to the problem of perfection. Man must be built upon this axis [of harmony], in perfect agreement with nature, and, probably, the universe. We must find and apply new methods, clear methods allowing us to work out useful plans for the home, lending themselves naturally to standardization, industrialization, Taylorization The plan must rule. . . . The street must disappear...' I wonder what the people would have thought about these ideas, or do their idea's not matter? Or must the collective give way to the self-professed enlightened? You may not like ostentation/decoration, but unfortunately, a great many do. Architecture is not like a picture on a an art gallery wall, that can be taken down if it offends, it can be there for decades, blighting the lives of those who live amongst it. Let us feast ourselves once more on this vision:
Chandigarh_Secretariat.jpg

black_umbrella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The main problem with Le Corbusier is that he's basically directly responsible for some of the deadliest housing projects in the states (Cabrini Green in chicago is the most public example wikipedia link). While his architecture I admire, his urban planning is pretty much an umitigated disaster. Kinda sours me on everything he did...

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by black_umbrella
The main problem with Le Corbusier is that he's basically directly responsible for some of the deadliest housing projects in the states (Cabrini Green in chicago is the most public example wikipedia link). While his architecture I admire, his urban planning is pretty much an umitigated disaster. Kinda sours me on everything he did...
I agree with everyting you say above, but I disagree with your views on him as an architect simply because his architecture is every bit as dire as his town planning. It is no coincidence that the Russian communists admired Le Corbusier, in him they recognised one of their own. Anyway, back to a celebration of all good things French.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand the objections, George; they make sense. I've visited the two examples I gave (Villa Savoie near Paris and the church) and another Paris house, and the use of space and light (important architectural ingredients, I'd say) is phenomenal, in my eyes. Both buildings gave me "breathing space""”a feeling of freedom"”hence my enthusiasm.

artoftime

Reaction score
George;3943603 said:
Firstly, Le Corbusier wasn't the first architect to advocate the removal of ostentation. Loos did it before him and there were others before Loos.

I never stated he was the first - far from it - the secessionists, shakers, etc. were aeons before him.
The rest can obviously be debated round and round...not necessarily my desire to do so, just came to the defense of a pivotal figure of modernism.

You may not like ostentation/decoration, but unfortunately, a great many do.

A great many fools are attracted to decoration on anything they can get their hands on. It can serve as a great deviator of functionality in purposeful design. I happen to adore any design or architectural period if it is done well, be it Victorian Beaux Arts, or Minimalism. I gravitate toward the dialogue between and find that's where a harmony exists.

Architecture is not like a picture on a an art gallery wall, that can be taken down if it offends, it can be there for decades, blighting the lives of those who live amongst it.

This is a good point, and a specific duty of Architecture where civic functionality or duty is mostly overlooked.
Corbusier the Civic totalitarian planner? clearly, no. The Architect, Artist, Designer? Absolutely.
Much of his ideology of living systems and the home as a machine, are amazing visions of the functional domesticity we enjoy today.

Let us feast ourselves once more on this vision:

images-7-1.jpg

images-6-3.jpg

images-5-3.jpg

images-4-3.jpg

images-3-3.jpg

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
I understand the objections, George; they make sense. I've visited the two examples I gave (Villa Savoie near Paris and the church) and another Paris house, and the use of space and light (important architectural ingredients, I'd say) is phenomenal, in my eyes. Both buildings gave me "breathing space""”a feeling of freedom"”hence my enthusiasm.
If ever you are in London check out Sir John Soane's Museum. A master in the use of light. Also, take a ride out to see the Art Museum at Dulwich he designed which has formed the basis of Art Gallery design ever since. The Villa Savoie is interesting in that it was a failure functionality, the roof leaked, due to it being flat. So, as we see Le Corb. wasn't immune to letting form, triumph over function. The house was for all intents and purposes practically uninhabitable. He was about to be sued by the owner but the outbreak of the second world war saved him from this IIRC.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If ever you are in London check out Sir John Soane's Museum. A master in the use of light. Also, take a ride out to see the Art Museum at Dulwich he designed which has formed the basis of Art Gallery design ever since.

I definitely need to visit your country and I always visit museums in the places I go to; I'll put these on the list.

The Villa Savoie is interesting in that it was a failure functionality, the roof leaked, due to it being flat. So, as we see Le Corb. wasn't immune to letting form, triumph over function.

The house was for all intents and purposes practically uninhabitable. He was about to be sued by the owner but the outbreak of the second world war saved him from this IIRC.

Leaking roof, stupid owners... details. I think it's a brilliant house. I'd love a house like that; I'd like a modern kitchen and bathroom, but other than that, it would be perfect.

If ever you are in (near) Paris again...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads