• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hello I'm another noob. Shoulder alteration experiment, contribution.

it's ok ma'

Reaction score
Hello all,

After having been exposed to this forum, I am now glad that 1) I have bought little sport coats in the past and 2) that I have neglected my shoe wardrobe. I was always hesitant to buying 140 dollar sport coats at that warehouse store, so thankfully I followed my gut and have only bought one navy sport coat there out of urgent necessity (was traveling, needed navy color jacket, bought one on sale for $98). I have received occasional sport coats as gifts and have worn them without out much thought. I now realize the fit on all of them is horrible.

I guess I am one the getting-out-of-college noobs on here who say they are starting their wardrobe; and I am one of them who is also poor in a matter of speaking (can't afford bespoke, Don't want to spend more than 400 for RTW at the moment)
blush.gif
So point is I found a tailor who says he can fix the shoulders on my jackets for $50. After reading about alterations on here, I am a bit hesitant because it seems that shoulders are very difficult to fix, if at all possible. But, given that I own nothing of value, I am going to see what can be done for this price. Who knows, maybe I found the golden tailor who is cheap and good at his work.

There seem to be many unanswerable questions to this concern of fixing shoulders, no doubt because of the multitude of factors involved (tailor experience, size of alterations, material, expectations etc.) So, given the low price he quoted me, I am going to take the one navy jacket I like from the cheap things I own and have the shoulders taken in. I will report back here with before pics and after pics for your amusement/perusal. Oh yea, I am also one of the size 36 noobs with narrow shoulders to boot
smile.gif

cowsareforeating

Reaction score
see if you can get someone to proxy a bespoke suit from shanghai. will only run you 100-200 dollars if you can get a tailor here to do perfect measurements.

nothing stellar or amazing, but since its made to measure, will look just fine.

btw get a grey suit.

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cowsareforeating
see if you can get someone to proxy a bespoke suit from shanghai. will only run you 100-200 dollars if you can get a tailor here to do perfect measurements.

nothing stellar or amazing, but since its made to measure, will look just fine.

btw get a grey suit.

you mean MTM. you can't 'proxy a bespoke suit'
facepalm.gif

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ginlimetonic
you mean MTM. you can't 'proxy a bespoke suit'
facepalm.gif

Seriously, it is called "bespoke suit" by most of tailors in Shanghai.
lol8[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads