• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive MANBAG Thread Part I: 2009-2014

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Jil Sander has really been doing some interesting bags lately... simple, timeless, functional. The quality is also excellent (checked them out in person a few weeks back.) Pricing is VERY high ($1500-1800), but they are really top-notch. Top two totes are from the women's collection (but completely unisex), second two from the men's. Both for upcoming Spring 2011.
EhKCD.jpg

the women bags are beautiful. Still I am awkwardly attracted to the Celine "it" bag.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Desi
the women bags are beautiful. Still I am awkwardly attracted to the Celine "it" bag.
+1. I really love the style of the Celine bags. UNFORTUNATELY, though, they don't pass the "useful" test, having seen them in person. The plain leather bags are soft, unlined lambskin and the tiny handles are attached in such a way they appear they'd tear/rip off VERY easily. The other larger luggage style bag is very sturdy, though strangely VERY heavy and a little stiff. Still, though, they are some of the simplest, subtly designed and yet stylish bags out there. Price, though, is another matter, as they're stratospheric for what they are (they'd still be overpriced at 1/3 they're current retail). Some pics:
dDfQq.jpg
J4ogL.jpg
pIZz3.jpg
fPWBh.jpg
WzLUs.jpg

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
+1. I really love the style of the Celine bags. UNFORTUNATELY, though, they don't pass the "useful" test, having seen them in person. The plain leather bags are soft, unlined lambskin and the tiny handles are attached in such a way they appear they'd tear/rip off VERY easily.
WzLUs.jpg

nomnomnom This is the type of bag I would like my girl to have (or I have). Which is strange especially because what I like for women is totally opposite what I actually would want to be seen around. Example: my mom fits Tory Busch bags exactly though I wouldn't like my girlfriend to have one.

TimH

Reaction score
I am currently working on two new versions of manbags in saddle and bridle leathers and would appreciate any opinions from SF members on their essential requirements for space, size pockets etc. but in particular laptop and business equipment to be catered for in the cut and thrust world out there. Function and good looks rule my thinking so thanks in advance. Tim

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
x-posting from MC:

Found out about yet another "Made in USA" leather craftsman -- Steve Derricott from Gfeller casemakers. Steve Derricott is a professional geologist and owns Gfeller. Not surprisingly, they seem to make a lot of accesories for geologists but they also make some beautiful covers for moleskine journals. Check out this youtube video.

The prices seem very reasonable. They also make a beautiful briefcase -- it is a little pricey, but the quality seems great. The leather they use is pretty good. Steve says the following about the leather:

it is made using vegetable tanned Skirting Leather from the Hermann Oak Tannery in St. Louis. We are proud to have maintained an account with them for well over 50 years. In our industry, Hermann Oak is the standard to which others aspire….it really is the best leather for our purpose tanned in the USA today. The reddish –orange color results from the particular tree bark used in their tanning process.
Below is a review of the briefcase from another forum. Notice the use of the thick, single ply leather and the expert stitching. The handle is also done really well. The case seems really nice and Gfeller is pretty open to customizations (at a small upcharge). The vegetable tanned leather will age really beautifully, turning more reddish-brown as it ages. The pictures below also show a moderately used moleskine case (it is made of different leather though). The shoulder strap is very nice, but I can think of some improvements to the way it attaches to the bag itself.

What does you guys think?

Originally Posted by univibe88
Many of you may not know about Gfeller Casemakers. I first found out about them on a fountainpen forum when I was looking for a cover for my Moleskine notebook. I have gone on to also buy a very nice leather belt. I have been dreaming about a briefcase and finally pulled the trigger.

This quote from their website sums it up best Originally focusing on the needs of geologists, engineers and field scientists, we developed leather goods that carried tools, protected notes and maps and generally made field work easier and more productive for these adventurous professionals.

It took about 8 weeks from the time I contacted Steve until I received my briefcase. He is very open to customization and will make you anything you want within his abilities. All of Gfellers products are made with heavy sinlge ply leather finished only with neatsfoot oil. The products start a very natural tan color and quickly take on personality. My notebook cover and belt are completely different than the brandnew briefcase. You can see that in the picture of my notebook on top of the briefcase.

The base briefcase is two compartments with a buckle front and padded strap. I had steve add the rear pocket you see below, as well as the internal pockets for my checkbook and Moleskine.

I felt like this is a very high quality product that fits the mold of what many of us like here at the lounge, so I wanted to share it with you.

100_2062.jpg

100_2063.jpg

100_2064.jpg

100_2065.jpg

100_2066.jpg

100_2067.jpg

100_2068.jpg

100_2069.jpg

Some more photos of Steve's personal case used for many, many years from Gfeller's flickr album:

3607869880_e9ae8ef0a4.jpg

3607870102_9ba1e68efb.jpg

3607051521_321f7c2b65.jpg
[/quote]

countcount

Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
vegetable tanned Skirting Leather from the Hermann Oak Tannery in St. Louis

Glaser Designs was also using this leather. I had a duffle made in it and it truly is a unique color and becomes more orange with time.

The bag is back with Glaser now for repairs otherwise I would post pics. Maybe I have some handy somewhere...

pdsf

Reaction score
^^ how much are they asking for the bag? I agree - the shoulder strap attachment needs a bit of work. The logo, being where it is, sort of ruins it for me. Seeing the buckle is slighty off to the side, would the handle work well when it carries some weight?

^ Would love to see pics of an older Glaser!

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pdsf
^^ how much are they asking for the bag? I agree - the shoulder strap attachment needs a bit of work. The logo, being where it is, sort of ruins it for me. Seeing the buckle is slighty off to the side, would the handle work well when it carries some weight?

$450 ... and they are completely open to customizations (incl. the logo placement). I ordered a moleskine cover from today. Spoke to Steve on the phone and was informed that he had a shoulder surgery last week and won't be able to make the bag (he makes it himself, just one person) till Feb. end. I *might* order a bag after that, if all goes well.

Originally Posted by countcount
Glaser Designs was also using this leather. I had a duffle made in it and it truly is a unique color and becomes more orange with time.

The bag is back with Glaser now for repairs otherwise I would post pics. Maybe I have some handy somewhere...

That's awesome to know ... what leathers does Myron use now? Any idea? And how old is your duffle?
ps: love your username and avatar. Did you watch the recent simpsons episode where the count briefly came in for a few seconds?

^ Would love to see pics of an older Glaser!

+100000

pdsf

Reaction score
^ not too bad if the workmanship is good and leather is what Glaser is using. I still wonder if the placement of the buckle to one side would work well with a heavier load if the handle is used.

Shoulder surgery ouch! Hope he feels better soon.

Thanks for the info.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ not too bad if the workmanship is good and leather is what Glaser is using. I still wonder if the placement of the buckle to one side would work well with a heavier load if the handle is used.

Shoulder surgery ouch! Hope he feels better soon.

Thanks for the info.

You are welcome ...

I think that the offset buckle takes the bag from plain to interesting. But if you want it centered, I don't think Gfeller will have a problem.

countcount

Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
That's awesome to know ... what leathers does Myron use now? Any idea? And how old is your duffle?
ps: love your username and avatar. Did you watch the recent simpsons episode where the count briefly came in for a few seconds?

I founds some pics. The duffel isn't that old--I got it about 2 years ago.

I think the Glasers are using leather of free-ranging cattle from Argentina/Brazil and dying it themselves.

Srivats: when was that Simpsons episode? I DVR them and will check it out...

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by countcount
I founds some pics. The duffel isn't that old--I got it about 2 years ago.

I think the Glasers are using leather of free-ranging cattle from Argentina/Brazil and dying it themselves.

Srivats: when was that Simpsons episode? I DVR them and will check it out...

PS I had some trouble uploading pics and could only get one up.

Thanks for the photo -- the bag looks great! It is just starting to orange up nicely. email me the rest (check your PM) and I'll post 'em for you here. What went wrong with the bag? I hope it is nothing serious, though Myron guarantees his products.

BTW it was this year's halloween episode -- the 3rd part of Treehouse of Horror XXI where they made fun of twilight.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.4%

Forum statistics

Threads