The Definitive MANBAG Thread Part I: 2009-2014

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by rach2jlc, Apr 26, 2009.

1. welcomerain

welcomerain Member

2. ennui

ennui Senior member

Thanks for the further info on the bags. Re the sailor bag - I have little patience for expensive bags to have design flaws (snaps too weak to do the job).

Well, I am glad you have the option of either keeping or returning them. During sales season, that's not always the case!

Ended up returning both bags, and getting a pair of Aldens and a pair of MMM hi-tops. I use shoes much more often than travel bags. [​IMG]

Right now I have one of those plastic-sided carry-on sized rollers, a small manpurse for when I go to Asia, and a Jil Sander weekender bag that I haven't used yet. I probably don't need any more bags since I don't travel as much as I'd like to, but I think I'll always be on the lookout for a nice medium-sized bag for travelling.

3. pdsf

pdsf Senior member

I was thinking of getting this MMM bag

http://eboutique.maisonmartinmargiel...W/areaid//sts/

any thoughts?

To be honest, it's a bit odd and still pricey for what it is. I think the overall aesthetics of MMM bags has gone down since his departure from the label. Often they are replicas, badly designed, or a case of trying-too-hard-and-looking-that-way. That bag, in my humble opinion, falls in the third category (and it's apparently a replica, too....). It's all in the eyes of the beholder though. I would love to hear what others think. Gosh I am kinda mean today... [​IMG]

Ended up returning both bags, and getting a pair of Aldens and a pair of MMM hi-tops. I use shoes much more often than travel bags. [​IMG]

Right now I have one of those plastic-sided carry-on sized rollers, a small manpurse for when I go to Asia, and a Jil Sander weekender bag that I haven't used yet. I probably don't need any more bags since I don't travel as much as I'd like to, but I think I'll always be on the lookout for a nice medium-sized bag for travelling.

Good choices on the shoes. How come you need a small manpurse for when you go to Asia? [​IMG]

ooh, post pics of the Jil weekender please. [​IMG]

4. welcomerain

welcomerain Member

To be honest, it's a bit odd and still pricey for what it is. I think the overall aesthetics of MMM bags has gone down since his departure from the label. Often they are replicas, badly designed, or a case of trying-too-hard-and-looking-that-way. That bag, in my humble opinion, falls in the third category (and it's apparently a replica, too....). It's all in the eyes of the beholder though. I would love to hear what others think. Gosh I am kinda mean today... [​IMG]

Thanks for the input, any other recommended options? Will need to be able to carry a laptop and is for work (where I wear a suit daily). I don't mind something different to set me apart from all the other drones.

Cheers

5. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

Wow, quite a croco bag from Burberry Prorsum for their upcoming Cruise collection. I don't even want to know the price... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. ennui

ennui Senior member

Here's some pics from my EBay listing. I don't really want to sell this bag, so I listed it for quite a bit, as I'll part with almost any item for the right price. I got it from Gilt of all places.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. jet

jet Persian Bro

that is a cool bag keep it

8. rach2jlc

While I'm frightened by the price, I find this Cucinelli bag quite appealing... http://www.yoox.com/item/YOOX/BRUNEL...sr_bagswomen80 I'm generally NOT a fan of his bags (I know, sacrilege!) but I like the luxe materials blended with synthetic/sportswear elements (the cashmere with the leather and nylon)
    Agreed. Jil bags have almost no resale value, compared to retail, so it's doubtful he'd get enough to make it worthwhile. Keep it! It's a classic Raf for Jil design.

9. ennui

ennui Senior member

Good choices on the shoes. How come you need a small manpurse for when you go to Asia? [​IMG]

ooh, post pics of the Jil weekender please. [​IMG]

Really on any trip, not just Asia, though that is where I have gone when on vacation recently. It's useful for holding all the crap that you normally don't have to carry when at home, such as passports, maps, wife's assorted shopping stuff, etc.

Agreed. Jil bags have almost no resale value, compared to retail, so it's doubtful he'd get enough to make it worthwhile. Keep it! It's a classic Raf for Jil design.

OK you guys have convinced me to keep it. I'm still looking for something a bit more casual in a similar size.

10. pdsf

pdsf Senior member

Wow, quite a croco bag from Burberry Prorsum for their upcoming Cruise collection. I don't even want to know the price... [​IMG] http://i.imgur.com/h38Pj.jpg
    Could equal a down payment for an apartment/a house somewhere..
    Here's some pics from my EBay listing. I don't really want to sell this bag, so I listed it for quite a bit, as I'll part with almost any item for the right price. I got it from Gilt of all places.
    Nice Jil bag. I remember seeing it somewhere. Keep it, but let me know if you want to sell it [​IMG]
    While I'm frightened by the price, I find this Cucinelli bag quite appealing... http://www.yoox.com/item/YOOX/BRUNEL...sr_bagswomen80 I'm generally NOT a fan of his bags (I know, sacrilege!) but I like the luxe materials blended with synthetic/sportswear elements (the cashmere with the leather and nylon)
    It's very you, Rach!
    Really on any trip, not just Asia, though that is where I have gone when on vacation recently. It's useful for holding all the crap that you normally don't have to carry when at home, such as passports, maps, wife's assorted shopping stuff, etc. OK you guys have convinced me to keep it. I'm still looking for something a bit more casual in a similar size.
    I agree. I find messenger bags very useful when I go abroad. There should be lots of casual weekenders on the market, and given the time of year, you should be able to find some good deals! Have fun shopping. [​IMG] A quick report: I am currently in Hong Kong and I came across a few satchels and music bags by the Cambridge Satchel Company (http://www.cambridgesatchel.co.uk) a couple of days ago. I have to say I quite liked them! Given their price point don't expect lux leather and gorgeous hardware but I thought they looked quite good taking into account they're cheap. The leather is quite thick and I think they'd look quite good after some use. They come in various colours so I reckon they could be a good way to spice up your wardrobe. The mark-up in Hong Kong is insane. I might order a music bag in navy when I am back in the US.

11. tomorrowstars

tomorrowstars Senior member

A quick report:

I am currently in Hong Kong and I came across a few satchels and music bags by the Cambridge Satchel Company (http://www.cambridgesatchel.co.uk) a couple of days ago. I have to say I quite liked them! Given their price point don't expect lux leather and gorgeous hardware but I thought they looked quite good taking into account they're cheap. The leather is quite thick and I think they'd look quite good after some use. They come in various colours so I reckon they could be a good way to spice up your wardrobe. The mark-up in Hong Kong is insane. I might order a music bag in navy when I am back in the US.

Really tempted by that Navy Music Bag

12. pdsf

pdsf Senior member

^ I was surprised by how good the music bags looked (they only have black, brown and red at the store here). And...I like the fact that the shoulder strap is also made out of leather. A lot of full leather bags lately come with either nylon or canvas shoulder straps...

13. tomorrowstars

^ I never understood that. It can't be that much more costly to make a matching leather strap. I thrifted a Cutter & Buck briefcase that had a nylon shoulder strap with a leather shoulder pad and, as a result, I've never used the strap.

14. rach2jlc

^It's not just about cost; the leather straps are the parts that bend/wear the most, and so a textile strap tends not to show wear as much as the leather. I agree that leather looks nicer, but it doesn't necessarily hold up as well over time.

Nylon and canvas don't crack, split, etc. Again, not my own preference, but a number of bags that had leather straps (a lot of LV messengers, for example) switched to a nylon/textile strap, and it really wasn't due to cost-saving.

15. tomorrowstars

That sounds about right, the straps on my leather backpack show a lot of wear. I'm sure they'll eventually fail, but I love how they look right up until they do.