• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you inherited a sheet load of money...

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jenlain
I work at a company that is primarily controlled by one family. Several of our employees are members of the founding family and they individually own stock worth 9-10 figures. They show up every day and work their asses off (they are also pretty normal and live fairly pedestrian lives). It is pretty inspiring and has convinced me that a large inflow of cash probably would not cause me to change my life too significantly.

The phrase is financially responsible.

Valor

Reaction score
Hookers and Blow.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I work at a company that is primarily controlled by one family. Several of our employees are members of the founding family and they individually own stock worth 9-10 figures. They show up every day and work their asses off (they are also pretty normal and live fairly pedestrian lives). It is pretty inspiring and has convinced me that a large inflow of cash probably would not cause me to change my life too significantly.
Originally Posted by Prada_Ferragamo
The phrase is financially responsible.
Much of this, I would think, is the result of always having had money. There is a massive difference between growing up with everything you need, and suddenly acquiring the means to have everything you've ever wanted.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let us be clear. This is not cash. I have a situation that is similar although I sell down when possible and prudent... Having a large share of stock in a family run business doesn't = cash. I have several friends in a situation like that and they struggle to pay rent like so many others. I think about money often but not in terms of buying things with it. I don't usually buy anything that hasn't been carefully considered. I spend most of mine on travel because I like to do it in a particular fashion. If I was in the situation provided by the OP, my life wouldn't change at all.

MrGoodBytes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonylumpkin
Much of this, I would think, is the result always having had money. There is a massive difference in growing up with everything you need and suddenly acquiring the means to acquire everything you've ever wanted.

agreed, I took a nice inheritance a few years ago. It was enough to pay off my immediate debt, put a nice down payment on a condo, rehab said condo... and experience a certain level of social lifestyle that was beyond my means. The problem is being able to ramp down that living when the bulk of the money is gone. I don't regret being somewhat careless with what I was given, but I didn't really gain anything out of it (at least not until the housing market turns around)

P-K-L

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shoe City Thinker
... what would you do now that your net worth is more than what you made in salary in the past 4 years? Take a new career direction? Go on sabbatical?

I would not change much for i.e. 300.000 Euro - buy some nice things but in general I would continue as before...

jenlain

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CouttsClient
Let us be clear. This is not cash. I have a situation that is similar although I sell down when possible and prudent...

Having a large share of stock in a family run business doesn't = cash. I have several friends in a situation like that and they struggle to pay rent like so many others.

I think about money often but not in terms of buying things with it. I don't usually buy anything that hasn't been carefully considered. I spend most of mine on travel because I like to do it in a particular fashion. If I was in the situation provided by the OP, my life wouldn't change at all.

It is a publicly traded company and there are willing buyers for their stock. They could liquidate tomorrow. The point is not the mechanics, but the behavioral lesson.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is a publicly traded company and there are willing buyers for their stock. They could liquidate tomorrow. The point is not the mechanics, but the behavioral lesson.

smile.gif

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We would own our house outright instead of being on payment 1 of 360 and the lender would be kinda cheesed off at being unable to collect more interest over the 45-day life of the 30-year loan.

Such outlay would require, almost precisely, the entire value of 4x my annual salary + bonuses (not including my fiancee's pay). So... we'd proceed to live in a paid-for house at the age of 30. Not bad.

Freed up monthly income would split evenly three ways: enhancing our standard of living, cranking up our contributions to a Vanguard 401k, and throwing money at whatever charities/causes we think are worthy.

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea congrats. 4x your salary. So even if you are making 250k a year its still only 1m. And if you were making 250k I hope you aren't asking such as stupid question. Unless you are a 23 yr old who inherited upwards of 10m just pay off your debt and put the rest into an index fund.

Dont take a vacation when you are 22. Unless you worked some hardcore hours throughout your life until now, your life has been pretty easy. Taking a long vacation now will screw up your resume and piss off your current employer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads