• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

do you dress better than your girlfriend?

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Da Luis Vuitton Don
if you have an unshapely body you can wear anything you want and still look like sh1t....this comment is regarding my current spouse...fyi *****, dont wear skin tight shirts if your belly is bulging and dont wear skin tight jeans if the end results resembles sponge bob<<<<just trolled myself by attacking my spouse but it felt good.real good
sneaky2.gif

wtf!?
eh.gif

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife generally dresses about as good as me. But it was not always this way....

About 5 years ago I went on multiple business trips outside of North America for the first time, including Europe and Japan. At the time I was overweight, wearing dad jeans, and XL tees. I knew I didn't look very good, yet somehow I had come to accept this look as my fate since it was what surrounded me in the workplace which was filled with mostly baby boomers, and we all know they dress the worst of any group!

While in Japan I felt more conscious of my poor dress than I would in the US, yet I was largely able to brush my concerns aside since Japan felt so foreign. But Europe was a different story. The culture did not feel overly foreign to me and it was easier to identify with and see myself in the people. This made it virtually impossible for me to to not become overly conscious about how awful I looked.

When I returned home I was so disturbed by the experience that I immediately started loosing weight. While it was a consciences decision, I never even tried that hard-- it simply seemed to happen naturally over the course of year.

My wife was thrilled that I was loosing weight, but she didn't notice that big of change since I had continued to wear the same baggy cheap clothing. However, the day I wore some slim fitting Japanese clothing for the first time she was shocked at how much better I looked. At first she was ecstatic, but a few days later she became deeply disturbed since she knew I looked a lot better than her. Several times she didn't even want to be seen with me in public since she said I made her look bad.

But over the course of the next year, the same process gradually happened to her without even trying. It was as if I had brought a disease back with me from my travels. Over the course of a year she went from wearing US size 8-10 to a size 2-4. After that, she had to buy all new clothing which really forced her to re-think everything about her wardrobe.

Sorry for the long rambling story. My point is that many people will only dress better if their environment tells them to. If you feel your girlfriend/spouse dresses worse than you it may very well be related to her work environment, the friends she hangs out with, or maybe you don't dress as well as you think you do. Anyone remember the studies that were trumped in the media a few years back: Get new friends that are fat and you'll become fat, get new friends that are skinny and you'll become skinny. I am fairly certain the same concept holds for clothing/style too.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
BB1 I hope you two look at that as a positive thing, like wanting to be better for each other, not like a hostile competitive/jealousy thing.

Congrats in a way, though.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you have an unshapely body you can wear anything you want and still look like sh1t....this comment is regarding my current spouse...fyi *****, dont wear skin tight shirts if your belly is bulging and dont wear skin tight jeans if the end results resembles sponge bob<<<<just trolled myself by attacking my spouse but it felt good.real good
sneaky2.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
My wife was thrilled that I was loosing weight, but she didn't notice that big of change since I had continued to wear the same baggy cheap clothing. However, the day I wore some slim fitting Japanese clothing for the first time she was shocked at how much better I looked. At first she was ecstatic, but a few days later she became deeply disturbed since she knew I looked a lot better than her. Several times she didn't even want to be seen with me in public since she said I made her look bad.

But over the course of the next year, the same process gradually happened to her without even trying. It was as if I had brought a disease back with me from my travels. Over the course of a year she went from wearing US size 8-10 to a size 2-4. After that, she had to buy all new clothing which really forced her to re-think everything about her wardrobe.

Sorry for the long rambling story. My point is that many people will only dress better if their environment tells them to. If you feel your girlfriend/spouse dresses worse than you it may very well be related to her work environment, the friends she hangs out with, or maybe you don't dress as well as you think you do. Anyone remember the studies that were trumped in the media a few years back: Get new friends that are fat and you'll become fat, get new friends that are skinny and you'll become skinny. I am fairly certain the same concept holds for clothing/style too.

Sounds like she was paranoid that you would leave her for another woman, so she went and took care of herself.

you herd me what i said;**** that stupid *********.....i dress better then her on my bad days.
Are you angry because she will eat ALL of the turkey tomorrow?
eh.gif

A Fellow Linguist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you herd me what i said;**** that stupid *********.....i dress better then her on my bad days.

Didn't you make a bunch of posts when you first joined about how great your wife is?

Psydelik

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TyCooN
Was anyone's girlfriend bothered because you dressed better than her?
Yeah and she's communicated this to me on a few occasions. She feels like I outshine her, for whatever reason. She thinks I'm way too dressy and as she likes to say, 'fancy'. All because I wear button ups, cardigans, etc. on a daily basis, haha.

Da Luis Vuitton Don

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Fellow Linguist
Didn't you make a bunch of posts when you first joined about how great your wife is?
you find those post then....
1159[1].gif
maybe posts about how great my closet is.... anyway;just let me project my feeling kay? @TyCooN-the turkey will not be edible im guessing....

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Psydelik
Yeah and she's communicated this to me on a few occasions. She feels like I outshine her, for whatever reason. She thinks I'm way too dressy and as she likes to say, 'fancy'. All because I wear button ups, cardigans, etc. on a daily basis, haha.
Buy her nice clothes then

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
ex-girlfriend not only dressed better but was far more attractive than me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads