• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to get out of college?

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Not really. The question was meant in that he wants advice for getting the most out of college in a way that enhances his life. If you're still in college, anything you say will be absolutely meaningless. Hell, anything I say would be meaningless too, because I'm only 23. You have no idea how to get the most out of college because you are still in it. I'm not being a dick, I'm just saying that it's that simple. If some guy posted a thread saying "hey I'm 30 and just got divorced. I want to try dating again but i'm unsure of myself. Advice?" I wouldn't reply and say "hey bro well i'm only 23 and have never been married, let alone divorced, but I totally think that xxxx and xxxx."

except that your divorce example is COMPLETELY different from what happened in this thread.

i'm not really going to argue the point with you. i'm absolutely shocked that THIS digression is what you're passing your time with at 1PM on a thursday. you can't possible be this bored.

Reborn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Not really. The question was meant in that he wants advice for getting the most out of college in a way that enhances his life. If you're still in college, anything you say will be absolutely meaningless. Hell, anything I say would be meaningless too, because I'm only 23. You have no idea how to get the most out of college because you are still in it. I'm not being a dick, I'm just saying that it's that simple. If some guy posted a thread saying "hey I'm 30 and just got divorced. I want to try dating again but i'm unsure of myself. Advice?" I wouldn't reply and say "hey bro well i'm only 23 and have never been married, let alone divorced, but I totally think that xxxx and xxxx."

+1

Add the fact that you're a sophomore who is pre-law and already talking law school, it makes me think you have already completed some sort of life plan. That makes me want to hit you in the head with a shovel.

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reborn
+1

Add the fact that you're a sophomore who is pre-law and already talking law school, it makes me think you have already completed some sort of life plan. That makes me want to hit you in the head with a shovel.

yes i have a life plan yes it's going to work out swimmingly yes i'm a special flower.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Use it for everything it offers.

The guys who did the best with internships turned out some solid jobs and make some pretty good money to start.

Enjoy the social life and dont get tied down until you're in a career.

Just my 2 cents.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forStyle
Long time lurker here.

I am a junior in college. Until now, my plan has been to take as many courses as I can by sacrificing a large part of my social life. My main major is engineering, and I am taking many classes in sociology, law, etc. I also help a professor with research. Along the way, my writing, thinking, and reading abilities are improving greatly, and I am managing my time better and work better under stress.

My questions are :

I have never been in a serious relationship. Is it worth it to put dating on hold, in order to establish myself career-wise?

Looking back, what were the most valuable experiences from college?

If you start off this way, there is a good chance that you will continue to do so once you get your first job ("I'll put everything on hold socially so I can concentrate on my job") and then when you want to move up etc etc. Unless you are working on the new Manhattan Project, I don't see how you can't balance social and academics. Millions of people have done this. If you don't figure out a way to do it now, you will be a 38-42 year old bachelor before you know it. Nothing wrong with that, if that is what you are looking for. Very few people, if anyone, look back on their lives once they are retired and say to themselves "I wish I had spent more time at the office" or "I wish I had studied harder and gotten an A instead of a B- in English Literature 104". Live life, it is going to go by faster than you realize and you won't get many second chances.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjakapeanut
except that your divorce example is COMPLETELY different from what happened in this thread.

i'm not really going to argue the point with you. i'm absolutely shocked that THIS digression is what you're passing your time with at 1PM on a thursday. you can't possible be this bored.

You greatly underestimate how bored I am. Plus I'm sick and can't work so that makes matters worse.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
If there's one thing I've learned, from a life of extremes, you need balance.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do things you enjoy. College was the perfect time for me to figure what things I actually valued in life. Make times for the things you want to do, but still make the grades. NO use in getting into a good law school if you've hated having to work towards it. You really always have to enjoy the present to some extent.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
If you start off this way, there is a good chance that you will continue to do so once you get your first job ("I'll put everything on hold socially so I can concentrate on my job") and then when you want to move up etc etc. Unless you are working on the new Manhattan Project, I don't see how you can't balance social and academics. Millions of people have done this. If you don't figure out a way to do it now, you will be a 38-42 year old bachelor before you know it. Nothing wrong with that, if that is what you are looking for. Very few people, if anyone, look back on their lives once they are retired and say to themselves "I wish I had spent more time at the office" or "I wish I had studied harder and gotten an A instead of a B- in English Literature 104". Live life, it is going to go by faster than you realize and you won't get many second chances.

+1. Read between the lines of my previous post and this is what you would see.

Originally Posted by Piobaire
If there's one thing I've learned, from a life of extremes, you need balance.

+1. My life is much more balanced now and I'm much happier now. Still, I wish I'd made my relationship mistakes at a younger age.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel

This is good advice. College isn't just about learning in the classroom. It's about learning life skills, which includes things like balancing your work and social life, learning to live independently, etc. College should be about learning to succeed in the classroom, while maintaining all of the other things in your life: dating, friendships, extra-curricular activities, hobbies, etc. Ed's right. If you don't learn to do that in college, you're gonna be screwed when you enter the real world.

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
guys not asking if he should avoid all contact with other humans. he's just asking if he should look to get in a serious relationship. big difference there.

you can have a great great college experience socially without being tied down.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
facepalm.gif
Look, life is short. School is important, relationships with people (both friends and romantic) are important, and putting things aside because you're working for some f-ed up vision of the future that will never happen exactly the way you plan is not necessarily the smartest course of action here. Just do your thing and don't forget to enjoy life. It is absolutely possible to have a very active social/personal life while working 12+ hours a day, as long as you understand your priorities.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reborn
+1

+11

RedScarf7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjakapeanut
what's the problem? i happen to be elite. so what. some people just are.

Could you go one thread without telling everyone how ******* epic you are?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads