• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to get out of college?

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's much easier to get laid than to get paid. I say business before pleasure. The money comes in, pussies will line up like yellow cabs in downtown NYC.

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedScarf7
Could you go one thread without telling everyone how ******* epic you are?
i'd prefer to, of course. but if you rattle my cage i'm going to bark. that's just how it's going to go. i made a simple post offering my advice to a guy. if no one says anything that's my only post in this thread. instead i have a bunch of wiseguys calling me out while taking the thread completely off topic. i'm going to respond to any type of slight.
Originally Posted by Pantisocrat
It's much easier to get laid than to get paid. I say business before pleasure. The money comes in, pussies will line up like yellow cabs in downtown NYC.
+1. you're not going to cry over how you didn't get ***** in college if you end up being some badass doctor/business man/something making tons of $$$. the women will flock.

Dan K

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjakapeanut
+1. you're not going to cry over how you didn't get ***** in college if you end up being some badass doctor/business man/something making tons of $$$. the women will flock.
-1 The "*****" in college is easy, hot and good. If you were to be in the ***** investing business, it would be a smarter strategy to invest ********** in as many young vaginas as you can, as they start to get old, stinky, wrinkly, and/or diseased. Basically ***** now > ***** in ~8 years.

Threak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm an engineering student too (Yes, I'm aware of the derailing up there
foo.gif
). Anyway, one solid piece of advice I can give you is to get involved in any active engineering clubs on campus. Start one up if there aren't any. It will help you develop your career in ways classes can't, and then some.

I was never the club type, but I transferred to a new school last year and didn't know anybody there, so when I heard a new engineering club was starting up I joined it. It turned out that other nearby schools had active chapters of the same club, and there are national events too, so aside from my own classmates I got to meet (and party with) other engineering students all over the place. There are professional chapters in the area too; not only have I gotten to network with them, but they've held workshops to help students looking for jobs. I'm a senior this year, and started a job in my field last month. Several of the friends I've met through club events have offers for the summer. I can go on and on about the benefits, but I'm getting tldr, so I'll leave it at that.

(Disclaimer: there is the chance that any clubs at your school are nothing but a bunch of geeks who have an occasional pizza party and play WoW together.)

What school are you at, by the way?

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dan K
-1 The "*****" in college is easy, hot and good. If you were to be in the ***** investing business, it would be a smarter strategy to invest ********** in as many young vaginas as you can, as they start to get old, stinky, wrinkly, and/or diseased. Basically ***** now > ***** in ~8 years.
***** can't be saved up, and it does not earn interest. There is no time value of *****. Sacricifing ***** over the bulk of your adult life in an effort to load up during college is very silly. Priorities in college should be, in the following descending order: 1. Grades 2. Some strong internships 3. A respected major 4. Connections 5. ***** If you manage your time properly, it's definitely possible to achieve 1 through 4 without sacrificing 5 entirely. You won't get as much ***** as someone who makes ***** his top priority. But you will win the rest of your life, and he will stand a better chance of losing. Think of it this way: would you optimize 4 years of your life now at the expense of the remaining 60 or so? A strong college transcript is the second best investment you can ever make in your entire life (the first being a strong high school transcript, because that one sets all the wheels in motion).

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing you wouldn't be asking this if you were 100% happy with the way you are doing things now.

Arrogant Bastards list is not far of from how I see it. You do want good grades, a couple of good internships, but entirely killing your social life so you can take on more and more academics seems silly.

You are going to get into diminishing returns - yes do well in your classes, by all means do some more academic stuff beyond your required classes, but don't let it take over your entire life. A lot of businesses want to hire a real person, not a robot, so you might want to show you did some extra-curricular activity. You might want to have some fun so you are not completely insane once you leave university. You have more opportunities to try more things in one place than you probably will for a while after leaving.

I wasn't all that wild about some aspects of university, and I had a long term girlfriend for much of it, so whilst I partied a fair bit in my first and second year a lot of the rest was fairly sedate, but I still think that it is a place you should be having fun and partying. Get what you need to get a good job and focus on enjoying the rest of your time, there is plenty of time to be serious later.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't wait to go to uni, some good advice here
smile.gif

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You ******** sluts even if you're not paying tuition, where's the connect?

I do think that everyone who goes to college, regardless of major should probably take:
-a basic desk research skills class (my school had a library science class offered to freshman that was only worth 1 hr, and it was super easy, but this was 10 years ago and we were learning how to utilize search terms in WebCrawler on multi-colored iMacs)
-a basic political science class
-accounting, for understanding personal accounting
-a tax class, for understanding personal tax preparations and laws
-a marketing class, for understanding personal marketing

everything else I consider very optional. I never really learned anything useful in college, and I was in undergrad for 6 years almost. Never got an F, but never really got anything I could take from any of my classes or time with an instructor in line with the amount of money I spent, and I took just about everything, I walked with a Biz degree and wasn't too far from an Arts and Sciences degree as well. I got maybe 70 hours of foreign language study in two languages, can't speak either very well to this day, and had 30 hrs in studio art (I had maybe 15 hrs of just Korean celadon pottery and 10 hours of croquis studio)... that was 100 hrs of just ******* around, and they turned out to be the only things I've ended up really using in order to make money later in life.
I wish I took:

-a classical music course (and more?)
-a wine tasting class (we didn't have this)

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ysc
I'm guessing you wouldn't be asking this if you were 100% happy with the way you are doing things now.

Arrogant Bastards list is not far of from how I see it. You do want good grades, a couple of good internships, but entirely killing your social life so you can take on more and more academics seems silly.

You are going to get into diminishing returns - yes do well in your classes, by all means do some more academic stuff beyond your required classes, but don't let it take over your entire life. A lot of businesses want to hire a real person, not a robot, so you might want to show you did some extra-curricular activity. You might want to have some fun so you are not completely insane once you leave university. You have more opportunities to try more things in one place than you probably will for a while after leaving.

I wasn't all that wild about some aspects of university, and I had a long term girlfriend for much of it, so whilst I partied a fair bit in my first and second year a lot of the rest was fairly sedate, but I still think that it is a place you should be having fun and partying. Get what you need to get a good job and focus on enjoying the rest of your time, there is plenty of time to be serious later.

Depends on the industry, but generally speaking, the highest paying careers and jobs tend to go to the robots of the world and not the people who had lives in school. Now, obviously I am not advocating locking yourself in a room and doing nothing but studying for 4 straight years. Only do that if you are an extreme gunner of the highest degree, who will settle for absolutely nothing less than perfection at all costs. But most of us are not that guy, and life is worth living just a little bit. Find the degree of drive and ambition that works for you. Just be aware that there is no such thing as too driven. You can always be more driven. It's a question of how badly you really want it.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
Depends on the industry, but generally speaking, the highest paying careers and jobs tend to go to the robots of the world and not the people who had lives in school. Now, obviously I am not advocating locking yourself in a room and doing nothing but studying for 4 straight years. Only do that if you are an extreme gunner of the highest degree, who will settle for absolutely nothing less than perfection at all costs. But most of us are not that guy, and life is worth living just a little bit. Find the degree of drive and ambition that works for you. Just be aware that there is no such thing as too driven. You can always be more driven. It's a question of how badly you really want it.
I think I've read that on a resume once
laugh.gif

dissapointedengineer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
facepalm.gif

Just do your thing and don't forget to enjoy life. It is absolutely possible to have a very active social/personal life while working 12+ hours a day, as long as you understand your priorities.

i agree with most of this. i majored in engineering also - it's sorta a lifestyle because of all the work they throw at you. so learn to balance your academic life with whatever it is you like to do. an engineering professor once told me that this is the most free time i'd ever have. i thought he was fckn crazy. 10 years outta college, he was exactly right.

you're prolly at your physical & intellectual peek. yeah...enjoy that.
also enjoy the fact that you aren't in the real world now. you **** something up now, all you get is a bad grade. college is not stressful. you don't know what that word means yet.

it's unlikely that you'll ever be surround by as many single people your own age with similar interests. take advantage of that however you wish..

keep in mind that in engineering, your surounded by the smartest of the smart everyday. after you graduate, be prepared to deal with more idiots.

establish good relationships with your professors. you may have to call on them again after you graduate.

take/pass the FE.

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlackToothedGrin
Please tell me you go to Tulane
laugh.gif
Elite
laugh.gif

no. but i may go to tulane law. all depends. i could end up at LSU because i'm probably going to do public interest work

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard

Well I guess things may be a little different in the states, but here your overachiever is expected to overachieve in social and extracurricular activities too, unless you are going something very technical that leads into a science/quant type job.

Undergrads here are actively encouraged to have society memberships etc. to show they can function as a human being. I also feel no matter how high you are aiming eventually taking on one more course is not going to make a whole lot of difference to how impressive your CV is, you might as well have a little fun. Work out what you need for where you want to get, do that, and no more unless you enjoy it more than the alternatives, but maybe things really are different.

Big T

Reaction score
Again, speaking from a 58 year old perspective and being in college from 70 until 74, it was sex, drugs and rock & roll (in no particular order).

Yes I see some friends who are more successful or have more money or toys, but I had fun and I have more than enough to be comfortable that I'm already semi-retired. Enjoy what is around you!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads