• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I think I hate San Francisco.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I think it is physically the most beautiful place in the world. The people are not nice but not overtly rude either. More like condescending.

There is no bum like a Berkeley bum.

Fail.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To me San Francisco is the perfect example of what happens when educated, spoiled white people get together in one place.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
To me San Francisco is the perfect example of what happens when educated, spoiled white people get together in one place.

In reality it's more like highly trained white collar workers with little imagination or taste. Still not a bad city.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ That'd be the small California towns that make up Silicon Valley, the world's largest soulless suburb.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
^^ That'd be the small California towns that make up Silicon Valley, the world's largest soulless suburb.
Same ****.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

This part is hell on earth, I sorta counted it as SF but I guess it is "greater SF" if I want to be precise.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was growing up in the South, I dreamed of someday living in SF. It was the second large city that I ended up living in post-college (late 90s), and though I certainly had a lot of fun in the couple of years I was there, the city did not live up to my expectations. To be honest, I felt pretty let down by the reality of the place. I actually found myself unexpectedly enjoying LA much more when I moved there immediately after SF.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
You should move to Pittsburgh.

I actually like Pittsburgh

lefty - sounds like the first impression isn't the best... Have you been hanging out in the Tenderloin ?

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent
Understatement. All of these perpetually smug and uber-liberal cities tend to have the ugliest of wimminz. (See also: Portland, Ore).

Here is the way I think about NY and SF.

If you are on the east coast and ambitious and smart - you head out to NY and try and become a investment banker or other business person.
On the west coast - you go to Silicon Valley and try a startup.

On the east coast - if you are gorgeous - you head out to NY and try and become a model or actress.
On the west coast - you head out to LA.

So basically, if you are ambitious and smart, you leave SF for the Peninsula; and if you are hot, you go down to LA.

Whereas NY is a destination for both.

SF would be better if they loosened up the building code a lot. The old houses aren't very charming, they are mostly ratty. More density and more mixed-use would lower rents and make the city interesting. Then they wouldn't need the marsupialed rent stabilization that encourages super high initial rents and minimal ongoing investment.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Really? I had the impression that the cultural divide was rather pronounced. http://techcrunch.com/2010/10/24/cal...om-the-valley/
Sure, there are differences, but they aren't that great. I've lived in both for long periods of time, both populations are vomit inducing. Basically, same smug assholery, different markers of being cool.

Will C.

Reaction score
I prefer New York. SF has a kind of parochial and suburban aspect to it - a bit staid in comparison. And yet it's ironically dirtier. I love the geography and architecture of the place though.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will C.
I prefer New York. SF has a kind of parochial and suburban aspect to it - a bit staid in comparison. And yet it's ironically dirtier. I love the geography and architecture of the place though.
Well, the architecture is probably the worst of any world class city, so I am not sure where you are going with this. It is a nice piece of land...

Will C.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Well, the architecture is probably the worst of any world class city, so I am not sure where you are going with this. It is a nice piece of land...

You don't like the old residential architecture of San Francisco? It gave me continual enjoyment when I lived there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads