1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I think I hate San Francisco.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by lefty, Nov 7, 2010.

1. softy

softy Senior member

I hope you have a private rickshaw, because both MUNI and the cabs are gross.

2. alexwgoody

alexwgoody Senior member

If you have a family go to Piedmont. Piedmont's awesome.

3. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I have a car.

That said, I like the Aunt Charlie's Lounge, which is a rather divey homosexual bar with necrophiliac drag queens and a disco night.

4. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

I was shocked how few attractive girls were there. I saw about 10 of the "turn and look" variety when I was there over 5 days and about 8 of them were joggers on the Embarcadero. The transit was also disappointing.

5. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

wait are you serious? I can't tell the sarcasm of members with over 10,000 posts.
    Only semi-serious.

6. lefty

lefty Senior member

Here's the part that befuddles me. You sell world class city in an amazing locale and seem to make a far buck on tourism, but your cabs (to use one example) are filthy and manned by idiots. What creates this situation? Is it the drivers? Owners? Residents? Politicians who spend time on Happy Meals?

You have money, nice homes, decent weather and an army of do gooders; how bloody hard can it be to pick up the shit?

I get that a port city in a nice locale is going to attract cheap drugs and those who need them but I've never seen a place more in need of a little Lee Kwan Yew X Buford Pusser love.

lefty

7. SField

SField Senior member

Off the top of my head I can very quickly name 10 places more beautiful/appealing than SF

1 person likes this.
  8. lefty

lefty Senior member

I have a car.

That said, I like the Aunt Charlie's Lounge, which is a rather divey homosexual bar with necrophiliac drag queens and a disco night.

I'm expecting the LK tour, J.

lefty

9. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Off the top of my head I can very quickly name 10 places more beautiful/appealing than SF

Let's hear it.

10. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

The only good city on the West coast is LA.

- B

11. StephenHero

Telluride is the only city I've been in the U.S. that I think is more beautiful on the whole.

12. FStyles

FStyles Senior member

Here's the part that befuddles me. You sell world class city in an amazing locale and seem to make a far buck on tourism, but your cabs (to use one example) are filthy and manned by idiots. What creates this situation? Is it the drivers? Owners? Residents? Politicians who spend time on Happy Meals? You have money, nice homes, decent weather and an army of do gooders; how bloody hard can it be to pick up the shit? I get that a port city in a nice locale is going to attract cheap drugs and those who need them but I've never seen a place more in need of a little Lee Kwan Yew X Buford Pusser love. lefty
    I'm a native and I've ridden a taxi in SF less than 5 times. They're simply not needed unless you're a tourist (which sucks i know). Very diff than NY Cabbies are one of the oldest mafias in town and their unions have made it hard as fuck for any type of reform. Not enough, too expensive, dirty, rude, I could go on. They create it for themselves and the shit flows both ways....kind alike a teeter totter. But we could sit around all day and start nit picking at the various inadequacies of major cities across the world but that'd be hella weak sauce, braw. frisco baby. frisco.

13. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

lol fstyles u mad? [​IMG]

14. Atwigman

Atwigman Well-Known Member

San Francisco have concentration of nicer spots around the vicinity of Union Square.
    There are some nice places scattered about, such as Union Made and Self-Edge if you're into work wears. UM recently have had a visit from the author of Jeans of the Old West. (The collection of century old denim fabrics he brought was incredible.) If you like ice-creams, stop by the Bi-Rite creamery which is also near the area.

The art galleries in the city center have themselves listed in a pamphlets with marked location marked on the map, as well as monthly opening night's schedules. There are theaters and various other shows / entertainments in the general proximity.

Farmer's market in Ferry Plaza can be nice if you haven't been there yet. (It is basically a tourist attraction) Shop in the plaza building itself is open during the week, so after you've checked out the market once, I'd recommend going during the week.

If you're into cheese, check out Spuntino's and Cowgirl Creamery. (And make sure you don't have any expensive sweater on because you'll come out smelling like unwashed socks)
    If you're into wine, Sonoma County is about 30 minutes away, and outskirt of SV have some small but decent vineyards as well.

Anyways, SF have decent spots which will make your life a little better once you start getting the hang of where to go. I personally wouldn't live there though.

15. StephenHero

What percent of people in the city center ride the bus?

16. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

Telluride is the only city I've been in the U.S. that I think is more beautiful on the whole.

since when is telluride a "city?"

17. FStyles

FStyles Senior member

lol fstyles u mad? [​IMG]
    hella mad. [​IMG] PS: My parents did not travel 3000 miles across the fucking pacific ocean to see this city overrun by fucking transplants.

18. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

I've lived in both SF and LA. LA is the worst city hands down for anything other than Women.

19. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Senior member

I've never been to SF proper, but I've been to SV (meh) and to Monterrey/Carmel/Big Sur. That stretch of coastline is simply amazing. The only place I've seen like it was the area around Rio with the dramatic meeting of mountains and sea. Rio is an amazing and complex place. It's like an extremely beautiful toilet.

20. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

hella mad. [​IMG]

hecka mad