• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please help me lose 20 lbs

Gutman

Reaction score
exercise a little, reduce portion size, eat well in the morning, eat less in the evening (nothing too stodgy), cut out junk food and processed food, be sensible about ***** and sweet foods including those bakery treats.

make small changes, but make them permanent, and you'll lose weight over time and keep it off.

2balls

Reaction score
Theres this fatburner called oxyelite pro. I would highly recommend it. Suppresses appetite, increases energy level.

Opermann

Reaction score
Recently tried apple cider vinegar on a whim as as supplement to my diet.... low and behold it works for weight loss. Something about lowering the ph in your intestine and reducing the amount of insulin released. Lost a couple pounds the first week, and it continues slowly but surely. I recently wore my skinny size 34 pants for the first time in a long time.

I was originally taking it for heartburn a couple times a day (works for that too) and noticed it made me feel pretty good, so I continued. Once I started swimming in my clothes I increased to 2 tablespoons w/16 oz of water (gotta dilute it) before each meal.

Nothing to lose in trying it. Get the good organic stuff and wash your mouth out after taking it. Yum!

Nathaniel72

Reaction score
Stick to certain meal times, I don't do this religiously but I usually only eat two meals a day and a snack at some point. I don't do breakfast so I usually have lunch at around 11, then I try to push dinner until around 7 so I don't feel like I'm starving when I go to bed. The snack falls in wherever convenient or wherever needed. Try to drink your liquids in between meals. That means don't drink any liquids with a meal, especially ice water or cold liquids. When you drink cold drinks with meals it slows digestion and causes the fat in the food to coagulate and separate from the fiber and whatever else it is you eat. What's worse is the fat will stick and build up on the wall of the stomach. I try to wait at least two hours after eating a meal before I drink something, which is almost always distilled water. Heres some books to help, good luck! Rational Fasting and other works by Arnold Ehret The Gerson Therapy by Charlotte Gerson The China Study by Dr. T. Colin Campbell and Tom Campbell Conscious Eating by Dr. Gabriel Cousens

yayorc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nathaniel72
Stick to certain meal times, I don't do this religiously but I usually only eat two meals a day and a snack at some point. I don't do breakfast so I usually have lunch at around 11, then I try to push dinner until around 7 so I don't feel like I'm starving when I go to bed. The snack falls in wherever convenient or wherever needed.

thats pretty terrible advice - anyone will tell you breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Figure out a way to eat something in the morning and it'll change your entire day.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yayorc
thats pretty terrible advice - anyone will tell you breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Figure out a way to eat something in the morning and it'll change your entire day.

There's no real need for breakfast, intermittent fasting yields pretty awesome results if we're talking weight loss. I would have to say that the post-training meal is way more important than breakfast.
Read up on intermittent fasting, fasted training and how your system responds to that if you want to know more.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
well, i am now down to my (previous) goal of 178 lbs. (down from 198+ lbs when i first started this thread). this is my weight in the evening in just shorts.

but now im kind of miss that old stringent , toned look . im toned now , but when i was 167 two years ago i had that sort of stringent runner's look .

im on a new mission for a new '20lb loss challenge' and see if i can set a new record of reaching my college weight of 157lbs. my body was
bounce2.gif
back then. im going to see if i can reach it by sometime first quarter next year.

well, now im down to 173 lbs. im not really even trying anymore. it's been more than 6 months of sensible eating w occasional relapses and the daily cardio/running for about 45 minutes and minimal weights.
this time i am concentrating a lot on my core: lower back exercises, lower abs, tranverse abdominals (suction/vacuum exercises yoga type) , kegels (yes, good for men too).

i try to do the cardio every day if i can. if i cant, well then i cant. but i dont schedule or mandate myself "i have to do 5 days a week" or anything like that, what may will be.

i think my weight now is ideal and even 31 waist jeans (32 ande whall or tts raw jeans) i have to wear with a belt or they slip down throoughout the day. i may be well going down to 160s perhaps but im afraid ill have to get a whole new set of jeans..

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
well, now im down to 173 lbs. im not really even trying anymore. it's been more than 6 months of sensible eating w occasional relapses and the daily cardio/running for about 45 minutes and minimal weights.
this time i am concentrating a lot on my core: lower back exercises, lower abs, tranverse abdominals (suction/vacuum exercises yoga type) , kegels (yes, good for men too).

i try to do the cardio every day if i can. if i cant, well then i cant. but i dont schedule or mandate myself "i have to do 5 days a week" or anything like that, what may will be.

i think my weight now is ideal and even 31 waist jeans (32 ande whall or tts raw jeans) i have to wear with a belt or they slip down throoughout the day. i may be well going down to 160s perhaps but im afraid ill have to get a whole new set of jeans..

Go down to 160s, get new jawnz. Rock new jawnz. Feel awesome as they fit even better.

Blackmaged

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a pretty good way...

1) Record EVERYTHING you eat. Seriously, make an Excel spreadsheet listing Fats, Carbs, and Proteins, and the Total Calories of each meal. Ideally you want a Protein-Carb-Fat ratio of 40-40-20.

2) Along the same lines, you want to create a calorie deficit for yourself. There are plenty of websites to guesstimate the calories you need per day. I believe a 500 cal deficit will get you 1lb/week; anything more than that is usually considered excessive.

3) Exercise. 3 days cardio, 3 days lifting (alternate) and 1 day rest.

4) Cheat meals are NOT bad, just limit it to once a week or something.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TrH
There's no real need for breakfast, intermittent fasting yields pretty awesome results if we're talking weight loss. I would have to say that the post-training meal is way more important than breakfast.
Read up on intermittent fasting, fasted training and how your system responds to that if you want to know more.

Are IF's better results mainly psychological? I feel like a huge reason ppl's diets fail are because they are trying to spread 1500-2000 cals over 6 meals/16-18 hours, whereas w/IF it's much easier (and rewarding) to spread those calories into 2-3 big meals in an 8 hr window Are there studies showing hormonal changes / increased results for IF? I've been contemplating trying IF, but it would require a complete revamp of my daily schedule

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid
Are IF's better results mainly psychological? I feel like a huge reason ppl's diets fail are because they are trying to spread 1500-2000 cals over 6 meals/16-18 hours, whereas w/IF it's much easier (and rewarding) to spread those calories into 2-3 big meals in an 8 hr window

Are there studies showing hormonal changes / increased results for IF? I've been contemplating trying IF, but it would require a complete revamp of my daily schedule

Berkhan has loads of stuff on his site, including links to quite a lot of research, if you're interested. And yeah, a lot of the benefits are just that its an easier dieting schedule to follow for some.

There may be some benefits to IF in regards to body comp, hormone balance and such, but I'm not an expert on this, again I recommend checking the aforementioned site for in-depth scientific discussion.

I'm a proponent of doing whatever works for you - be that the 6 small meals or 2 big ones - as long as you're getting results, that's really all that matters.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics