• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting Levis 501 Shrink-to-fit to fit like Levis 511s

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Might pay to get them tailored

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last weekend I went to the local Levi's store and bought two pairs of 501s--one STF, one preshrunk. Both were sized 36x36. The STFs were larger in every dimension than the preshrunks. I haven't bought a pair of STFs since the 1980s. Back then you were supposed to size up. Do they now mark them according to the expected size they will be once you shrink them? 'Cuz that's exactly what happened.

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
You can't get a square peg to fit into a round hole son.

If you want a slightly looser fit on the 511's then go for a 514 which is a slightly looser fit than the 511's. Or, size up one on the 511's. But stay the **** away from the 501's.

Older 501s = badass.

Can't say I'm a fan of the new cut. Too diapery.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crn001
I would just buy 511s but I can't find them in the color I want.
What color do you want? There's a slim tapered cut Levi's makes called Matchstick that you might want to check out. Go to the Levi's web site, or just Google it; you might find some additional options. They even have a Kaihara (sorry if I'm butchering that) selvage model in that cut. I didn't think it was fantastic (tried and returned because the Levi's rep lied to me and told me they were button-fly), but it was a raw, selvage pair of Levi's in a cut that was similar to 511s. 1944-style painted arcs, too, for no apparent reason. edit: I just had another one of those apples, and it was fantastic. I have to figure out what the variety is called. It was maybe a little under-ripe, but an excellent flavor nonetheless.

max-t

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
levi's needs to have another awesome sale like they had a few months ago where if you spend $200 you get $80 off.

Froosh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Last weekend I went to the local Levi's store and bought two pairs of 501s--one STF, one preshrunk. Both were sized 36x36. The STFs were larger in every dimension than the preshrunks. I haven't bought a pair of STFs since the 1980s. Back then you were supposed to size up. Do they now mark them according to the expected size they will be once you shrink them? 'Cuz that's exactly what happened.

What?? Even the waist was bigger? A preshrunk 36 should measure about 38 and a STF 36 should be the same.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Froosh
What?? Even the waist was bigger? A preshrunk 36 should measure about 38 and a STF 36 should be the same.

Yep. When I held them up to each other to compare (while trying them on at the store), the STFs were noticeably bigger in both length and waist. Once they shrunk they were pretty much identical. I wear a 36 waist in most pants, which is why I thought it was sort of strange.

Regal

Reaction score
Sizing up on 501s is a bad idea....especially with your 'normal' department store variety. Buy true to size, or maybe even size down one. Put the jeans on, make sure they're not too tight, then soak them in warm water and air dry them. When you put them on, they'll be tight in the waist, but only for a couple minutes. 514s are FAR from slim. In my size (31") they must have a 9" leg opening. I'm sure better results could be had with 501s. Anyway, here's the proof that a slim fit can be accomplished with your everyday, run of the mill STFs (pics too big to post): http://www.denimwiki.net/wiki/index...._Fit_%28STF%29 Or look at Sayocean's khaki STFs (taken from Denim Wiki):
3804866649_1e350253fc.jpg

inq89

Reaction score
Weird, the Levis 501STF were actually kinda slim fitting for me. But I workout so maybe my legs are bigger than I thought.

Regal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by inq89
Weird, the Levis 501STF were actually kinda slim fitting for me. But I workout so maybe my legs are bigger than I thought.

I think a lot of people just have the wrong idea about 501s, partly due to the number of people who size them wrong and end up with baggy results.

If sized right, they are certainly more slim than 514s, which almost looks like a boot cut in many cases.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Regal
Or look at Sayocean's khaki STFs (taken from Denim Wiki):
3804866649_1e350253fc.jpg

Dude is rockin' a serious wedgie. Looks decent otherwise.

Seriously, though, a taper from the knee down could make a decent amount of difference if you're dead set on doing this. Pretty much any tailor can do this, and it's not like you're losing a selvage line on the outseam.

Jump Around

Reaction score
Whoa, saxsnd1's sized down 2 jeans fit great(denimwiki link). Hopefully mine turn out like that.

Big Muscle

Reaction score
I like slim fit Levi's but I never liked Levi's 511/514 because they always missing any attribute of standard Levi's brand - either no two-horse patch, or no copper rivets, or weird button etc. Also I didn't like the colors of existing 511s. Therefore, I was stuck with 501/505, altough I don't like that they are two loose around leg opening.

But currently, I found these Levi's 511-660003 "Rigid Green" - classic indigo color, silver button, copper rivets, two-horse patch. Has anyone experience with them? I am interested in size 36/34. And I'm thinking to give them a chance, but I would need to know their measurements - especially tight (crotch to one side) and leg opening. Is anyone able to provide them for my size? Thank you.

http://www.commonn.co.uk/levis-511-slim-jean-rigid-green-dark-blue-wash.ir

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads