• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting Levis 501 Shrink-to-fit to fit like Levis 511s

Rompson

Reaction score
Just buy them and return if you don't like how they fit/buy the wrong size.

tsekh

Reaction score
Standard 501 STF will never fit like 511, the cuts between the two are very different.

You may have better luck with LVC 501. The 1947, 1954 and 1966 are particular slim, but still quite different from 511 though. The 47s have very slim thigh, and both the 66 and 54 are tapered. Among them, the 47 has the slimmest thighs, while the 54 has the smallest leg openning. Get a pair of 54 true to size, and you will find them fairly skinny after the first few soak/wash. Still, all 501s have higher wasit than 511 and that will not change no matter how much you undersize or shrink them.

Big Muscle

Reaction score
tsekh: I know that the cuts are different, I just want to experiment with another model I have never had. One friend of mine has those rigid 511s (although in size 32x32) and I like them. They look that they have higher rise and are different from another 511s I have ever seen, so I wanted to try them. I already contacted the seller and he gave me the measurements from size 36x34:

Thigh Width - Approximately 25cm (10")
Leg Opening - Approximately 20.5cm (8")

I also found some measurements here: http://www.oipolloi.com/511-slim-classic-rigid-green
Rise: 12" (exactly the same as my both 501s (STF and preshrunk) in 36W)
Thigh: 10"

But thigh is really too slim, so I don't think that the 511s are for me. I need thigh width around 13". Nevermind, I just wanted to know some experience with them.
Btw, I have already looked at 501 - 47, 54, 66, but these are too expensive. $250 is really too much to experiement with. Also, it's not possible to buy them here in Europe.

bigchelis

Reaction score
Well after reading endless threads and seeing lots of cool 501 STF jeans after put through hard use I purchased mine.

I wear 34x30 in 514 Levis.

my first STF 501s were the 36x34. These I have to give away now and a complete waste of money.
I boiled them, washed them, used the dryer and no matter what I do they fit significantly long in the lengh still and the waist is still too big. So much for sizing up like the instructions say.

My 2nd set of 501 STF are 35x32. Closer. I put in water 2 times already but the lengh is still way too long. The waist is perfect though. They are very big from the Knee down. Like they were made for people with big knee caps or something or maybe cause the lengh is too long they bunch up.

My 3rd set will be true to size and I will just not pre-wash them at all.

I trully wish these fit like the 514's or slightly more slim fit but oh well I guess I need one more pair to practice with.

best,
biGC

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well after reading endless threads and seeing lots of cool 501 STF jeans after put through hard use I purchased mine.

I wear 34x30 in 514 Levis.

my first STF 501s were the 36x34.  These  I have to give away now and a complete waste of money.
I boiled them, washed them, used the dryer and no matter what I do they fit significantly long in the lengh still and the waist is still too big.   So much for sizing up like the instructions say.

My 2nd set of 501 STF are 35x32.  Closer.  I put in water 2 times already but the lengh is still way too long.  The waist is perfect though.  They are very big from the Knee down.  Like they were made for people with big knee caps or something or maybe cause the lengh is too long they bunch up.

My 3rd set will be true to size and I will just not pre-wash them at all.

I trully wish these fit like the 514's or slightly more slim fit but oh well I guess I need one more pair to practice with.

best,
biGC

I've been through the whole "try STF 501 and donate" thing after the sizing didn't work out -- which makes the cheap jeans not so cheap anymore. The rule I've found is to size up 1" in the waist and 2" for the inseam. In pre-shrunk Levi's I wear 34x34, so in STF I take 35x36. Fits perfectly. Wish I'd known that going in...

Last edited:

skispry

Reaction score
I am a 34x30 and no mater how many times I tried 'buy your normal size' it never worked. Way too big in the leg, and the waist kept on stretching.

Went down to 33x34 and after a few days, the waist was fine and the fit was much better for my skinny legs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads