• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Macophants - The new Macbook Air: you getting one?

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, that's my point, I don't get this "instant" thing. I remember Windows 7 making a big deal about it on their commercial a little while ago, but I just assumed all laptops were like this for at least the last 5 years or so.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LVoer
Yes, that's my point, I don't get this "instant" thing. I remember Windows 7 making a big deal about it on their commercial a little while ago, but I just assumed all laptops were like this for at least the last 5 years or so.
Its Apple bullshit. Yes, it starts up faster. So do all computers that boot off of SSD and/or flash memory.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Strongly considering the 11", would be good for lazing about and browsing the internets in bed. and plus I am an apple laptop slut.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
lulz
340x.jpg

lol. so true. I didn't understand what kind of person would actually have use for the macbook air.... until I saw this.
laugh.gif
Up until recently, the Apple TV was the dog in apple's lineup that didn't seem to impress anyone (until the new one came out this quarter, Steve Jobs had never even disclosed sales figures for apple tv), I wonder if that dubious distinction of apple's weakest selling product will now go to the macbook air.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I thought about it, briefly, when I was replacing a black macbook which was just a bit too slow. In the end, chose a second hand MBP 15" 2.2G which works great but weighs a ton. I'll think a bit more about it after Lion is released.

Jayboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
Why are Macs so limited in RAM?
Lets se.. The 13" and the 15" laptops can have 8 gig ram. The iMac can have 16 gig. The Mac Pro can have 32. It doesn't feel so limited to me. On top of it they use a 64 bit os that uses the memory very good, with hardware thats designated for the os. The air having only 4, i guess everyone understands why. I work extra at an Applestore, and i went there today the first time since the release, and tried the 11". It surprised me, how quick it where. The one i tried only had 2 gig ram, but with 4 i think this one would be good enough. The flashmemory gives it a good bump. Good thing about it is that it didn´t have a netbook feel to it at all. I liked it.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Edit: Nevermind. I just noticed that you are a Swede. I'll give your English a pass.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jayboy
Lets se.. The 13" and the 15" laptops can have 8 gig ram. The iMac can have 16 gig. The Mac Pro can have 32. It doesn't feel so limited to me. On top of it they use a 64 bit os that uses the memory very good, with hardware thats designated for the os.

The air having only 4, i guess everyone understands why.

I work extra at an Applestore
, and i went there today the first time since the release, and tried the 11". It surprised me, how quick it where. The one i tried only had 2 gig ram, but with 4 i think this one would be good enough. The flashmemory gives it a good bump. Good thing about it is that it didn´t have a netbook feel to it at all.

I liked it.

In other words you're an annoying ****.
Sent from my MacBook

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually the whole thing that bothers me is the "good enough" line. why not better? Why does my Mac Book only have two slots? And while we're at it why can't anyone that works at a Mac store EVER admit that there is a problem with ANY Apple product. More than anything it's this that drives me nuts.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Its Apple bullshit. Yes, it starts up faster. So do all computers that boot off of SSD and/or flash memory.

Looks like Windows jumped all over that bandwagon.

blairh

Reaction score
Looking to get the 11" MBA + a 60W HyperMac battery. Small footprint plus extra battery life when necessary.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't understand this product in relation to the iPad. I guess it's supposed to be a transitional thing until tablets become powerful enough to replace computers, but it's a technological step backwards. If you already own a computer at home, I don't see why you'd choose this over an iPad with a BT keyboard ($550), unless you really need to use photoshop or MS Office on the road.

blairh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
I don't understand this product in relation to the iPad. I guess it's supposed to be a transitional thing until tablets become powerful enough to replace computers, but it's a technological step backwards. If you already own a computer at home, I don't see why you'd choose this over an iPad with a BT keyboard ($550), unless you really need to use photoshop or MS Office on the road.

Two totally different machines. One is OS X, the other iOS. I want the freedom to drag and drop a movie file onto my MBA for travel. With the iPad I have to convert it to the right format, sync to iTunes, etc. And I still encounter websites with flash. Don't want to deal with blue question marks when I need to look at something on the road.

The only concession I'll make to the iPad is battery life. The 11" MBA has ****** battery life, hence why I'll probably bring along an external battery just in case.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads