Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Macophants - The new Macbook Air: you getting one?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Rambo, Oct 20, 2010.

1. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

I am thinking about it. I have a desktop and a 15" MBP, and the 15" doesn't get much use - it is unwieldy to travel with and a bit too big even as a couch-surfing machine.

The problem is the HD isn't very big, I'd need dual boot into Windows, and once you get the bigger SSD and 4GB RAM (the RAM it should just have), it isn't all that cheap.

Soooo, what was the point in geting the MBP?!?! [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

+1

[​IMG]

3. Jumbie

Jumbie Senior member

4. JustinW

JustinW Senior member

I'm not really a fan of the airs. I'm waiting for a significant update before upgrading my MB (though I won't get a good employee discount this time [​IMG] )

5. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

I can't get behind the iPads due to lack of keyboard & weak internal components. I doubt I'll buy a MBAir, but I hope it serves as a push for more laptops with SSD's & w/o the useless optical drive. I mean, really. If you have a portable computer, why do you need an optical drive? Movies can be downloaded now.

6. whiteslashasian

lulz

[​IMG]

7. A Y

A Y Senior member

http://gizmodo.com/5669701/a-note-fr...ber-steve-jobs

There is a difference. Most netbooks come with Atom processors and bad graphics, and have the feel and quality of a cheap plastic toy. The ones that use more powerful CPUs and good graphics (eg. Dell Adamo) are more expensive than even the original MBA, have mediocre battery life, and are usually bigger and heavier.

Also, iPad can pair with BT keyboards, as can the iPhone with iOS4.

--Andre

8. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

macbook pros are thin enough. you would have to be seriously space constrained to need an air.
    I'm considering the 11". 13" MBP at home, I wouldn't mind if it were lighter. And the netbooks I've used feel cheap and underpowered.

9. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

Mmm onboard shared ram graphics.

10. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

There is a difference. Most netbooks come with Atom processors and bad graphics, and have the feel and quality of a cheap plastic toy. The ones that use more powerful CPUs and good graphics (eg. Dell Adamo) are more expensive than even the original MBA, have mediocre battery life, and are usually bigger and heavier.

Also, iPad can pair with BT keyboards, as can the iPhone with iOS4.

--Andre

True, but if I'm on the train for an hour, the last thing I want to do is connect a keyboard to an iPhone or iPad. MBAir, for being so thin & light, has a keyboard, SSD, decent RAM, and satisfactory processor. If all I'm doing on the train is light work, it's the perfect amount of power, and way more convenient than connecting a BT keyboard & trying to prop up an iPad. My MBP 17" stays at home, and the iMac's at work. Still seems too pricey, tho.

11. binge

binge Senior member

It would hit a sweet spot for me. I don't need a high powered laptop, but I do like a normal keyboard, so an iPad is out. I also like the low weight...the lighter the better. Now, just to convince my employer to spring for it...

12. deaddog

deaddog Senior member

I'm very intrigued by the new MBA, primarily because of the touted "instant on" capability that is akin to the iPad. If true, that makes it an iPad that I can use for work as it will run MSOffice Word and give me tracked changes. I'm unaware of any device on the market that can do both: instant-on and MSWord.

13. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I'm very intrigued by the new MBA, primarily because of the touted "instant on" capability that is akin to the iPad. If true, that makes it an iPad that I can use for work as it will run MSOffice Word and give me tracked changes. I'm unaware of any device on the market that can do both: instant-on and MSWord.
    Its not "instant" all the time. When it wakes from sleep its "instant". When it starts up its very fast.

14. Recoil

Recoil Senior member

My bottom of the barrel MacBook is "instant on". I close the lid it turns off, I open it it turns on. I never "shutdown" because there is no point.

15. whiteslashasian

My bottom of the barrel MacBook is "instant on". I close the lid it turns off, I open it it turns on. I never "shutdown" because there is no point.

Funny, my work dell latitude does that too.