• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread

ThomSquared

Reaction score
Yeah I'm not too sure about this little GQ spread he has going on his web site, looks a tad older in person. Either way the empanadas are stellar and should not be missed.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Please Respond
Ohh, I see, you think I'm a career DJ. Nope, sorry, I just do that **** for fun. It's fun and the ladies love it. But guess you didn't know that DJ's are the rock stars of 2010.
As far as the Macy's party.. You're so stupid is ceases to amaze me. You might want to look up, Glamorama. I'm sure I'll see you at the next one
wink.gif

My Hugo Boss Jacket is awesome! Thanks. (Granted that other faux one is a *************, but I still like it.)

Lastly, when do you want to get into a conversation about cars and watches? Bring it, *****.

why is so much of the 2010 class like this?
confused.gif

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThomSquared
Yeah I'm not too sure about this little GQ spread he has going on his web site, looks a tad older in person. Either way the empanadas are stellar and should not be missed.
Have you had the fish tacos Ricky serves up?

ThomSquared

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Have you had the fish tacos Ricky serves up?

Are you kidding? I can typically murder two fish and two shrimp tacos from Ricky's in one sitting. Their a very close second to Tacos Baja in Whittier, but unfortunately that spot is... In Whittier.

Please Respond

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Butter
Have you tried Zankou chicken? Not fried but good chicken nonetheless.

Furaibo in West LA has good Japanese style fried chicken.

Been to Zankou many times, it's also a staple for many indy productions looking to serve a big crew on a budget. Many people like it. For my dollar though, in that style of restaurant, I prefer Al Wazir on Gower followed by Roro's on Sunset.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Butter
Have you tried Zankou chicken? Not fried but good chicken nonetheless.

Furaibo in West LA has good Japanese style fried chicken.

I have never been too impressed by Zankou, I've been there several times and my ex goes crazy for it but it was mediocre to me. I might check out Furaibo though.

Originally Posted by ThomSquared
Although it's a bit on the low brow and in kind of a seedy area I would hit up Pann's Restaurant (of Pulp Fiction fame) off of La Tijera in Inglewood for some really good Fried Chicken, also try Honey's Kettle Fried Chicken in Culver City, their fried chicken and biscuits are ridiculous.

Thanks for the suggestion, i'll put those two places on the list.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Speaking of Farmer's Market stalls, Bigmista BBQ is the best I've had in LA, and frankly better than anything I've had in TX and I lived there for 6 years and have been going there regularly for 15. He's at the Atwater Market on Sundays and a few others during the week. Check out his website for info.

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Didn't know Atwater had a market. Hopefully it's not as lame as Los Feliz's.
You still in LA? You coming to the party saturday night? There should be a few women there that might need their "lives saved".

Made in California

Reaction score
Also, french toast @ Square One. Taking Lobster there for that one.

Baron, really enjoy dinner at Canele, too. Too bad that Cuban place down the street is so average. Had high hopes for it.

Originally Posted by skunkworks
I like Square One a lot.

Originally Posted by Baron
Also, Square One is great, with a nice view of the giant blue Scientology building. Excellent bacon.

I totally agree about Square One's french toast and bacon. It's a really good place to have breakfast.. it's not bad to sit outside in the rain because they have heat lamps, however in the summer they have a problem with flies in the outdoor seating. Interestingly you order bacon by the strip for $2 per, which I thought was a good format for hearty slices of bacon.

It's right down the street from Alcove, but no one's mentioned it. Alcove is delicious, has tons of outdoor shaded seating, and has a unique format for ordering. Also a very good breakfast joint.

eglbc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hit up Koyochon chicken in ktown after Jonsi, and hot damn, koreans make some fine fried chicken. I know im late on the tip, but are there any better spots to check?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kiya
You still in LA? You coming to the party saturday night? There should be a few women there that might need their "lives saved".
I'm still down south but my female proxy should be there. I'd be down to save some more lives if I could, though. Last time was a blast. J's also out of town this weekend, too. You know, FYI in case you wanted to swing by his house and snatch up all his sweet gear.
Originally Posted by Made in California
It's right down the street from Alcove, but no one's mentioned it. Alcove is delicious, has tons of outdoor shaded seating, and has a unique format for ordering. Also a very good breakfast joint.
Love/hate relationship with that place. I can't recommend it 100% because it's almost always packed and not everything on the menu is great. And now with the bar (which a friend who works there says makes great drinks), it'll be even more of a zoo. I also love some of their baked goods but then it's not Alcove that bakes them. I usually tell people to go across the street to Mustard Seed (even though the service blows) or down the street to Home for a solid meal.

ThomSquared

Reaction score
I have mixed feelings about the Alcove as well, very hit or miss and the set up for ordering is obnoxious. I actually quite like Little Dom's down the street for breakfast, there are only a few good items on that breakfast menu but they are damn good.

For some ungodly reason I have yet to try Square One, maybe I will give it a shot this weekend if this rain goes away. Last time I went to Home was for a birthday party and the food was way too Cheesecake Factory-ish for my taste. I have been hearing ALOT about this Canele spot, any recommendations on what to order there for dinner?

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Made in California
Alcove is delicious, has tons of outdoor shaded seating, and has a unique format for ordering. Also a very good breakfast joint.

If by unique format you mean waiting in a long line, that's why I don't go there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads