• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the deal with food snobs?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
^ You mean, so I'm not l33t by eating the restaurant week specials? If you would only read my blog, you'd understand I know my ****.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Actually, was thinking of having them with a bottle of the 09 Claypool that just came in.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Just chicken noodle soup and grilled cheese for me.
Originally Posted by gomestar
I do have some special pink "andes mountain" salt that was a gift from a rather famous Peruvian chef. I still prefer Maldon
frown.gif

Grey salt.
inlove.gif

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good indeed.

I saw on Rachel Ray that Chianti goes well with Spaghetti and meatballs.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
Good indeed.

Yum-O

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
actually, I don't think we'll end up going out. We're both beat after a long week, it'll probably end up being some Chianti and a movie at home. Perfect in my book. The only food snobs that really annoy me are the idiots. That is, the ones who declare themselves experts by simply watching Top Chef and starting a blog, and yet say the words amuse-bouche or tourned carrot and they'll just give you a glazed (no pun intended) stare (not that I am not a food idiot - I fully admit that I am). We can group this with the hipsters that eat at fine places only during restaurant week since the $35 cut rate menu is cheaper than the $100 menu - but then proceed to rate and discuss the places like they are seasons regulars not realizing restaurant week is a special crap menu meant to appease people just like them with little effort or thought required by the chef.
the last paragraph could have been summed up as "i hate restaurant yelpers" also, can you explain to me the point of tourne cutting?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mharwitt
the last paragraph could have been summed up as "i hate restaurant yelpers" also, can you explain to me the point of tourne cutting?
I hate everybody, so I am down with all of this. There is no real point to tourne cutting. It's hard to do, and it looks cool, and for most people it takes forever and looks like ****. Some of us like to pretend like it is important.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll be working the concession stand at the local HS football game this evening as a fundraiser for one of my son's school organizations.

Not exactly sure what they'll be serving there, but I'm certain at a minimum it will be Kobe Hot Dogs in a house prepared dijon mustard sauce on oven-fresh rolls. Not certain how the wine list is there, but I'm excited to find out.

I'll be sure to update my blog so you guys can be suitably impressed.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't think the clothing analogy holds as well as everyone thinks it does.

Does everyone here sit around the house in expensive suits and leather-soled shoes? When I'm just relaxing I'm usually in gym shorts and a t-shirt, and when I'm working around the house it's old jeans, tennis shoes, and an old t-shirt. I do this because sometimes you've just gotta wear clothes, and nice clothes don't serve a purpose in those cases. To me, cheap, fast, crappy food is the same. It serves a purpose, and that purpose is to feed me when the only goal is to be full.

I'm not necessarily condemning food snobbery; I just don't think it's analogous to clothing snobbery.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
I'll be working the concession stand at the local HS football game this evening as a fundraiser for one of my son's school organizations.

Not exactly sure what they'll be serving there, but I'm certain at a minimum it will be Kobe Hot Dogs in a house prepared dijon mustard sauce on oven-fresh rolls. Not certain how the wine list is there, but I'm excited to find out.

I'll be sure to update my blog so you guys can be suitably impressed.

Dude, I may be a heathen and have the palate of a peasant, but I actually miss the porkburgers that were served in my high school concessions.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Dude, I may be a heathen and have the palate of a peasant, but I actually miss the porkburgers that were served in my high school concessions.

Food snob!

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
Good indeed.

Reminds me of a recent conversation with a coworker. She mentioned something along the lines of being "in to food/cooking" and a dish she was considering making. I said that I had just come across an interesting recipe for it in a Robuchon book and would be glad to make a copy. **cue glossed-over look** A few minutes later she told me how much she loves Emeril.
facepalm.gif
Somehow I was tactful in my response.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I eat take-out at least three times a week.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
I don't think the clothing analogy holds as well as everyone thinks it does.

Does everyone here sit around the house in expensive suits and leather-soled shoes? When I'm just relaxing I'm usually in gym shorts and a t-shirt, and when I'm working around the house it's old jeans, tennis shoes, and an old t-shirt. I do this because sometimes you've just gotta wear clothes, and nice clothes don't serve a purpose in those cases. To me, cheap, fast, crappy food is the same. It serves a purpose, and that purpose is to feed me when the only goal is to be full.

I'm not necessarily condemning food snobbery; I just don't think it's analogous to clothing snobbery.

People also seem to think that since some people on this board act like an asshole about clothes they are excused to act like an asshole about anything else. Sometimes people unintentionally come off too strong, I know I've done this, and that is cool it happens. I'm also unsure of why people get upset by what others put in or on their own bodies.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
It's false to say there is no point to tourne.

1) The veg is evenly sized and so cooks evenly.

2) It rolls around so that you can brown stuff more easily.

3) It looks cool.

4) It upholds tradition.

5) It allows you to show off.

6) If you can do that, you can do anything because it is the hardest knife skill.

7) It's a way to get some use out of an expensive culinary school education.

8) For instructors, making you do it is a valuable form of hazing.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I hate everybody, so I am down with all of this. There is no real point to tourne cutting. It's hard to do, and it looks cool, and for most people it takes forever and looks like ****. Some of us like to pretend like it is important.
impressive knife work is its own reward?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads