• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ADD Testing

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nosu3
The symptoms of ADD are similar to other conditions. The reason someone may think they have ADD is because it is more recognized and the symptoms are well known. From looking at the symptoms, I have all of them but have not considered myself having the illness.

The stimulant medicine used for treatment increases the positive neurotransmitters and release of dopamine in the brain. People who use medications that have similar effects sometimes report emotional numbness after discontinuing long use. It may be due to the brain's dependency on the drug and minimizes its neurotransmitter functioning under natural response.

Well, I personally think this is the best advice in this thread. It's always wise to trust the words of an unqualified self-diagnoser.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nosu3
Who are you typing at? Having symptoms is not a diagnosis.

But what do you consider a qualified diagnosis?

You. I didn't say that having symptoms are the equvalent of a diagnosis. My point is that, unless you're a doctor, you're not qualified to decide whether your symptoms mean you have ADD. You may well decide to live with the symptoms (that's exactly what I've done), and your symptoms, as you state, may not even point to ADD. However, you are not qualified to decide whether you "have the illness."

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
You. I didn't say that having symptoms are the equvalent of a diagnosis. My point is that, unless you're a doctor, you're not qualified to decide whether your symptoms mean you have ADD. You may well decide to live with the symptoms (that's exactly what I've done), and your symptoms, as you state, may not even point to ADD. However, you are not qualified to decide whether you "have the illness."

I think you give too much credit to doctors.. These days with 10 mintues of google and pubmed you can self-diagnose with more accuracy than the average doc is going to bring.

Cognacad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jokerman
So I am fairly confident I am ADD and Have been for years. I just never really wanted to be dependent on pills but its only getting worse. I called to make an appointment to get tested well they tell me the test costs $2500 and insurance only pays $600 of it. Apparently the reason the price is so much is because I am an adult. For some reason I feel this isnt right. Anyone have experience with this?
Why would you like to "know" if you have ADD? Would it be for special coverage or treatment? If so, it might be important. If its just to find out, you can maybe read about it. I have done a few adult ADHD assessments recently, but they are for free where I work. Do you not have any free mental health centres in the area? For a "real" diagnosis you would need to see a psychologist or psychiatrist. If its for curiosity don't bother, if its for treatment then try to find somewhere that does it for free (if applicable). You can PM me if you have any questions (but I will not diagnose you!).

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
I was diagnosed as an adult (20), and I didn't have to take any special test. One of my friends had really bad ADD when we were kids, and his mom must have seen some of those traits in me. She gave me some information, and it piqued my interest. The next time I was at the doctor I brought it up. We discussed some of the stuff that I thought might be "symptoms," and I left with a script ADD meds.

The problem was that I hated, hated the meds, and I ultimately stopped taking them after less than six months.

(20) I get this irony, you're not an adult, and never will be one, right?
laugh.gif

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The first test that a Psychiatrist would give you is about 10 questions long and should take you less than 5 minutes. After that, you'd talk it out and figure out whether you have a problem that medication could help. Then, you'd try some pills. I know of no test, medical or psychiatric, that takes 3 days. If anyone tells you a test takes three days, just give them your money and save yourself the hassle of going through whatever bullshit they've contrived.

2balls

Reaction score
I had a friend who had maybe a mild case of ADD ( I'm not sure if that's possible). But she was prescribed adderall which she would take very sparingly- I'm pretty sure she could have functioned fine without it. She ended up selling her excess inventory for 20$ a pop. Her initial test was then paid for and she made a modest amount of cash from it. We were in college though, so the demographic allowed her to sell her pills for a ridiculous amount of money as adderall is in pretty high demand in a lot of colleges AFAIK.

iampeter

Reaction score
self diagnosing i think is important in this whole process, but i also think the doctor is required if you are going to do something about it (life style changes, taking drugs, etc)

you want the doctor to figure out if this applies to you:

if it has stripes, its a zebra.

its obvious you have symptoms, but its the job of the doc to figure out if its ADD or not using his experience/skillset

to TS: sucks about the option they gave you, you could mention that is its not satisfactory with your current doc or go to another one.

slycedbred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
The first test that a Psychiatrist would give you is about 10 questions long and should take you less than 5 minutes. After that, you'd talk it out and figure out whether you have a problem that medication could help. Then, you'd try some pills. I know of no test, medical or psychiatric, that takes 3 days. If anyone tells you a test takes three days, just give them your money and save yourself the hassle of going through whatever bullshit they've contrived.

Well, there actually are a few tests you can take. I would know, I took them.

1.) blood-glucose levels: Make sure you don't have a different disease that presents similar symptoms

2.) brain frequency scan: Measure the frequency of your brain, compared to the average brain frequency.

I believe the cutoff for ADD was about 2.5x the frequency of the 'average' frequency.

With that said, we all know exactly why ANYONE (as an adult) thinks they have ADD. They want legal access to stimulants. How many people do you know that have supposedly have ADD, and attend regular counseling...That's right, none. Damn near every adult that thinks they have ADD just wants a fix of speed. There's nothing wrong with that, it just needs to be recognized for what it is. To pursue that purpose, one can easily find a doctor who would prescribe them without all those contrived tests. Just ask around.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back in '94 I spent a few sessions with a neurologist and was diagnosed with fairly severe ADHD. Ritalin did nothing; the generic variant, though, helped me function.

I stopped bothering with it at graduation when I realized I could tailor my habits around what I needed to accomplish rather than fitting into the expected routine of high school. If I'd gone into a rigorously academic field I would've kept it up.

I still get bored and have trouble focusing; conversely I can switch gears remarkably quickly at the office to address problems as quickly as they come up. ADHD has given me a reputation as a miracle worker.

Mis-wired brain FTW.

DSig

Reaction score
I've been taking ADHD meds for 9-10 years now. In elementary school I was constantly talking, standing up to do my work (as opposed to sitting), and I had a short attention span. After a couple years of this being commented about to my parents, I saw a psychiatrist who diagnosed me. Then after that my pediatrician prescribed me meds. Its been that way ever since.

Obviously it's going to be slightly different for you considering you're an adult now.

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually went to my doctors today and they really had trouble because they are fully convinced I am ADD but I also have anxiety problems so we spent a while on options of medicines. I was told to try ritalin for the ADD side effects and Klonopin for the Anxiety. So we will see how that goes. There is a list of more stuff to try if these don't do the trick.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads