• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mad Men Season 4

Lone Wolf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by streetminimal
Does anyone have that quote that Don says about a man near the end?

When a man walks into a room he brings his whole life with him. He has a million reasons for being anywhere. Just ask him. If you listen, he'll tell you how he got there. How he forgot where he was going, and then he woke up. If you listen, he'll tell you about the time he thought he was an angel, or dreamt of being perfect. And then he'll smile with wisdom, content that he realized the world is not perfect. We're flawed because we want so much more. We're ruined because we get these things and wish for what we had.

• Betty's cake looked like the Leaning Tower of Pisa - a subtle reference to how she's a little (spoiled brat) girl in a ************
  • Quite a marked contrast in Don's backseat activities. He may have gotten a ** the first time, but the second time was a lot hotter. The girl was doing him a favor - the lady doc had to wring out her panties when she went inside.

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Harry is realizing that Betty is a child. Once when he scolded her for not acting like an "adult" and the second time when he was leaving in the morning and he kissed her on the forehead (like a father does to their children). He thinks if he eliminates Don's presence from their lives, that they'll be fine, but he doesn't know how immature Betty can be yet.

Don is looking to join the new world which is falling behind. He's noticing that fewer people smoke, fewer wear jackets, a different era is beginning. Joan plays his antithesis this episode as she demonstrates (in the elevator) that she, despite being a woman, belongs to the old boys club. The old way of doing things, and she doesn't know how to handle the change while Don is embracing and making a solid attempt (so far).

I know Mad Men is about the fall of Don Draper, but I felt that his fall occurred at the end of last season when his old identity was revealed to his family and his marriage collapsed. I think this season is a re-imagining of Don and the agency in general. We'll see where things go, but I'm really enjoying this season the most so far (probably because Betty doesn't have as much screen time).

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In just a couple of episodes: "An unannounced visitor at the Francis home rattles Betty; the agency deals with a shocking loss. " Is it going to be Cooper or Sterling croaking? Edit: also, judging by the other upcoming episode summaries - one of the partners dies and control issues are up in the air again. I wouldn't be surprised if the agency goes up for sale due to infighting/new owners per inheritance.

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Maybe Joan will get a masectomy.
uhoh.gif

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^it will probably be bert or the fall of smokes due to the sg's warning

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can't see them getting rid of Roger. He's got a lot to offer the show, and they've been building more into his character lately (anti-Japanese sentiments, his book, more drinking, etc.). Bert's been MIA; it would be fairly anti-climactic to write him off now, but I can see it happening.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
I can't see them getting rid of Roger. He's got a lot to offer the show, and they've been building more into his character lately (anti-Japanese sentiments, his book, more drinking, etc.). Bert's been MIA; it would be fairly anti-climactic to write him off now, but I can see it happening.
I can see him becoming more active for an episode or two, then croaking just he's about to do something important. Or whatever.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve Smith
Her point was interesting. Joan had a convoluted but effective roundabout way to handle the problem. A female solution.

Peggy handled it like a man, Bam - You're fired. Peggy had no way of knowing that Joan had a solution so she went ahead and took care of it. Joan needs to STFU.

I really thought that the whole thing was set up to show the complexity of women breaking into a man's world. The conflict showed the complexity of the politics. Don counseled her to handle it like he would...like a man. Joan had learned a more complex approach that worked for a woman with responsibility but no power. Ultimately Peggy's approach wasn't wrong, it just undermined Joan...which ultimately might just have to be too bad if Peggy is going to establish her own place in the organization.

Anyway. Loved the episode.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Though there were aspects of the episode I didn't like (Don's narrating), I thought it was a nice change. They really know how to keep you on your feet.

Beetleything

Reaction score
Originally Posted by celery
Harry is realizing that Betty is a child. Once when he scolded her for not acting like an "adult" and the second time when he was leaving in the morning and he kissed her on the forehead (like a father does to their children). He thinks if he eliminates Don's presence from their lives, that they'll be fine, but he doesn't know how immature Betty can be yet.

Don is looking to join the new world which is falling behind. He's noticing that fewer people smoke, fewer wear jackets, a different era is beginning. Joan plays his antithesis this episode as she demonstrates (in the elevator) that she, despite being a woman, belongs to the old boys club. The old way of doing things, and she doesn't know how to handle the change while Don is embracing and making a solid attempt (so far).

I know Mad Men is about the fall of Don Draper, but I felt that his fall occurred at the end of last season when his old identity was revealed to his family and his marriage collapsed. I think this season is a re-imagining of Don and the agency in general. We'll see where things go, but I'm really enjoying this season the most so far (probably because Betty doesn't have as much screen time).

Very good observations.

I to am really enjoying the twists and turns of this season and yeah ...Betty...what a spoiled little child she is.

She's only beginning to realize that she has jumped out of the frying pan into the fire.

Beetleything

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
Don was so ON this episode.
fistbump.gif
Loved how his competitive side got the better of him in the swimming pool when he speed up to race the other guy....only to stop at the pool end and watch the guy go on......making Don realize he's got a lot of catching up to do....but he's back on the horse now!

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AldenPyle
{Its kind of funny that their big account is Lucky Strike. In the real world, Lucky Strike must have had about the worst ad agency in the world. By the time, I became cognizant of cigarette brands in early 1980's Lucky Strike was the moldiest brand name out there. They fell faster than Schlitz}

I think Lucky Strike was one of the brands which were included in WWII combat rations. By the early 80's, that WWII vet demographic probably didn't do much for the image of the brand.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lone Wolf
[*]Betty's cake looked like the Leaning Tower of Pisa - a subtle reference to how she's a little (spoiled brat) girl in a ************
[*][/list]

Nice catch. I didn't notice that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads