• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jobs you can dress up to

kappasigma

Reaction score
heres a few others

nightclub bouncers
financial advisers
vicars (with the collar which doesn't look cool so it doesn't count)

If you think about it there aren't many.....

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jcriswel
How about male shoe salesperson... selling either men's or women's shoes. All the ones I have seen wear a suit.

Al%20bundy.jpg

Shraka

Reaction score
IT professionals?

Heh heh heh.

The way I see it you don't have to dress like a slob if you don't want to.

Financier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by leftover_salmon
You can dress up in banking, but there are far too many poorly dressed bankers.

This is probably true of any profession requiring a suit and tie.

jcriswel

Reaction score
I think the point that has been made so far is that there are many jobs where men wear suits as a regular part of that job. Many of the sales staff in clothing stores, undertakers, used car salesmen, hotel staff, restaurant staff require suits. Any number of service industry jobs that don't necessary pay that well require a suit to satisfy customers. Typically, people in these jobs do not have a great deal of disposable income, so they buy suits as inexpensively as possible and sometimes don't have them fitted properly. Consequently, a stigma can be created regarding people who wear suits as a part of their job.

A further myth/stigma is the CEO image (think Donald Trump and Brioni). One might think that if you could only afford a Brioni you could be like Donald Trump. It doesn't take much to see through that. The point is, regardless of your profession, you must define yourself and your look.

The best policy and I believe the policy that this forum promotes is to establish your personal style regardless of your profession. Once you have created the look that you feel comfortable with and the look that you want to identify with and portray, then maximize that look. Buy good quality clothes that project the image you want to portray. Then get them fitted so that you look like a real pro regardless of the price point, the cut, the style, or the color. You have to decide what you want on price point, cut, style, and color. All of these define your sense of style and how you want the world to perceive you. Once you create your look, you must get it right by having everything fitted to perfection.

It's not an easy process. It takes years for men to get it down. Cary Grant and Fred Astaire worked on it for years and they were still never satisfied. It is a relentless pursuit to achieve your look and maximize it.

bjornb17

Reaction score
I know I am digging up an old thread here, but this is something I've been putting some thought into lately. Even in jobs that people would historically dress up, people are now going towards business casual... usually wearing khakis and a polo shirt or maybe regular dress shirt (not even ironed half of the time).

I work in engineering consulting, so I can pull off the dress shirt and tie from time to time but usually get a some flack from my bosses who don't wear a tie. Seems like just a few years ago everyone wore a tie in this job, and i would get lectured if i didn't wear one. Now things seem backwards.

The way i figure it, I'm only 26, so I would like to dress nice during the best years of my life.

R-H

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bjornb17
I work in engineering consulting, so I can pull off the dress shirt and tie from time to time but usually get a some flack from my bosses who don't wear a tie.

I'm only 26, so I would like to dress nice during the best years of my life.

If you need to fit in at work then you will have to conform to their culture. Conformity is huge with most businesses. It is just the way it is. If you don't give a **** about fitting in or are senior enough to make your own rules, dress how you want. It kind of sucks I know. I imagine engineering firms are n't any different.

GBer

Reaction score
Lobbyist

MaÃ
00ae.png
tre d'

Some real estate agents (A&E or one of those channels had a reality show on it)

Investments (private equity, hedge funds, etc), financier

Trust fund baby

bjornb17

Reaction score
Originally Posted by R-H
If you need to fit in at work then you will have to conform to their culture. Conformity is huge with most businesses. It is just the way it is. If you don't give a **** about fitting in or are senior enough to make your own rules, dress how you want. It kind of sucks I know. I imagine engineering firms are n't any different.

I try to do it only when I have a meeting that day..... usually that sounds like a good excuse but really I do it just for myself
bounce2.gif

mlongano

Reaction score
I've been wearing suits and ties to clients for thirty-five years now. I've been engaged at over three hundred different clients. Many clients of mine wore jeans or khakis to the office.

I have been in the IT field since 1977. Many of my colleagues wear jeans, khakis, t shirts, sneakers, cargo pants, and other "business casual" outfits to the office and to clients.

None of my clients ever sent me away for being over dressed.

Mr. Mystery

Reaction score
I like this topic alot. I've worn blazers/sport coats for a few years, but just got a full suit, a cheap one at that to see how I felt in it. When out around town I did get some feelings of impostering someone who is in a business world of some sort, which is far from what I do. I feel my choice of career is somewhat slanted towards a suit job as I try a figure out what it is I want to do long term. This is a ridiculous way to decide on a career path I will admit to myself.

I do like the feeling of professional-ism it gives me, makes me feel gentlemanly grown up and I like that reaching 30 now.

I by no means would arrive at my job in a suit, but on my leisure it can be a style only thing, plus I don't have to follow office rules. I find working downtown I see so many suits it can all become quite boring sometimes, sad to say. I'm evaluating the idea of wearing "the casual suit" I guess I would call it. The suit i got is gray linen, poly blend, and semi-slim fit/tailored.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moglasdaly