• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Navy blazer. Stylish, or... safe?

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tim_horton
+1. It's hard to find something in my closet that doesn't go with my navy sports coat (I don't like brass buttons), and there are few situations in which I can't wear it.
in my case, there are few situations in which i can't wear it, but there are also few situations in which i want to.

IBJanky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BoomDiggs
Myke -

Do you own one of these? The only reviews I have seen are on AAAC but I don't trust the product specific reviews over there.

Yes, I own one of these.

I did change the buttons out to silver buttons instead and had it tailored to my liking.

Haven't been disappointed yet.

myke

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OttoSkadelig
in my case, there are few situations in which i can't wear it, but there are also few situations in which i want to.

Well put.

I can't think of a single occasion in which I wouldn't have the imagination and inclination to wear something different; there's always a better option. I wouldn't own one.

vida

Reaction score
Certainly both, but the overall effect depends greatly on the look of the outfit and the style or cut of the coat. A trim, peak lapel paired with a dark tie and sleek trousers can look very hip...think urban Italian. Conversely, a sack coat and tan trousers is going to come off as very trad.
IMO, a well fitting navy coat and gray trousers is the perfect solution for many of today's business environments given the ever increasing move toward casual attire.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Navy blazer + brown penny loafers = Preppie Douche.

scott anderson

Reaction score
With regard to Andy I need to tell you what a really great guy he is. He truly loves clothes and is not easily bought. I've gotten to know him personally over the last several years and he's been a keen supporter of my product from the start. His website is done purely for his love of clothing and based on his own personal experience as a men's clothing salesman and an avid fan of clothing. He does not need to do it and does not profit greatly from it.

It would be a disservice to accuse him of being easy. He turns down products and offers every day. He is an honest and decent man. While you may disagree with his opinions, you cannot question his character.

I hold him in high regard and would have felt the same had he not liked my product.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by westinghouse
Navy blazer + brown penny loafers = Preppie Douche.

Really? Maybe in the 1980s, but in the brave new world of 2010 that's more of a self-aware hipster Band of Outsiders thing.

Originally Posted by OttoSkadelig

Exactly. There's always a better option.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scott anderson
With regard to Andy I need to tell you what a really great guy he is. He truly loves clothes and is not easily bought. I've gotten to know him personally over the last several years and he's been a keen supporter of my product from the start. His website is done purely for his love of clothing and based on his own personal experience as a men's clothing salesman and an avid fan of clothing. He does not need to do it and does not profit greatly from it.

It would be a disservice to accuse him of being easy. He turns down products and offers every day. He is an honest and decent man. While you may disagree with his opinions, you cannot question his character.

I hold him in high regard and would have felt the same had he not liked my product.

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...st-from-Whooga!

boxing[1].gif

I agree with 99% of what you said though, especially the fact that he had done a great service to the internet, and although I do not know him personally, I have heard he is a good person. However, some of the endorsements are a bit questionable for a men's forum...

With that said, I have heard your blazers are excellent, especially for the price point, and I know where to turn if I ever need a replacement in the navy blazer category.

As for the question, I think I enjoy navy blazers because they really are a timeless item. They may be a bit uniformish, but I enjoy dressing somewhat uniformly. The beauty of the navy blazer is that is lets you be more adventurous in your other accessories, while still remaining somewhat conservatively.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Consider the Prince of Kent, who often wears blue blazers but never blends in. (Pro tip: Consider growing a magnificent beard.)

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HandsomeBoyModelling
I know every guy's supposed to own one, and I do, but every time I put it on I can't help feeling like a real estate agent, or Thurston Howell III. Just a simple, wool blazer with darker buttons (vs brass) but can't seem to get it looking like anything other than some kind of uniform. Anyone with me on this?
Life is short and too tiring to take yourself too seriously. Don't get something because someone you don't know says you need it. Wear something you like and that will amount to giving you a lot of pleasure. Turn some heads whether good or bad make your own road.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
Turn some heads whether good or bad make your own road.

This is not, in fact, good advice.

Jack2000

Reaction score
I've been looking for a version with little or no shoulder padding and patch pockets that is in the under $400 range. Any thoughts?

AskAndyAboutClothes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BoomDiggs
I must admit that I haven't read that thread in a while, but last time I did it was a few pages long. I am a little spooked because of what I have learned about Andy's endorsement being fairly easily purchased. Also, from my time spent looking at that site, once Andy backs something everyone else thinks it is the bee's knees and goes on about how great it is. I am assuredly being too cynical. I just thought I would see if anyone over is SF had any experience with an AL blazer.

BoomDiggs:

I appreciate you spreading the word that I'm "easy"!!
smile.gif
Just not about my reviews.

I just got criticized for recommending a necktie that is only $25 ! The Members of AskAndyAboutClothes.com thought that there could not be a "good" necktie for that price point. I agree that the lining and the silk isn't the same quality as neckties selling for $175 but I really liked the patterns!

So some of what I review is personal opinion in the face of high quality. And I do turn down (just don't review) a large number of garments sent to me. I look for quality and value since I know many of the Ask Andy Members can't afford (or don't need to afford) really expensive goods.

If there are ever any questions about my reviews please e-mail me.

And yes, the Anderson-Little blazer is a great value and the perfect "keep in your office or the trunk of your car plus travel blazer" ever!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads