• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why don't people at SF like Hugo Boss?

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have a few pairs of shell cordovan bluchers.
The hard, smooth leather is easy to tell from softer leather,
but it's entirely subjective as to which one looks better.
I also have a few pairs of non-shell AE's.

I'm looking forward to Xenon's challenge.
It's unlikely people can tell a $100 suit from a $1000 suit without the aid of tell-tale logos.

Also, research has proven that you can't tell the difference b/w a cheap and expensive bottle of wine.

Macallan9

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving

It's unlikely people can tell a $100 suit from a $1000 suit without the aid of tell-tale logos.

Also, research has proven that you can't tell the difference b/w a cheap and expensive bottle of wine.

Why don't you just shop at H&M and drink $7 wine then? If you can't tell the difference and are happy with cheaper things, then more power to you. Why the need to **** over everyone else's desire to have nicer things?

TobinMarcus

Reaction score
I know someone who has a Hitler Youth uniform made by Hugo Boss
smile.gif

Larson McCord

Reaction score

Why do you even frequent this site? I don't get it

Xenon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by OttoSkadelig
exactly.
differences between good and bad, or very good and passable, you need to have experienced the very good. for example, someone who doesn't know wine will very well question why they should buy anything but the $10 bottle they can get at their grocery store "because they all taste the same to me". but once you have tried the good stuff and built an eye / appreciation for the details that previously may have eluded you, it's hard to preserve the same perspective.

I don't believe this is the point of this thread. Noone (certainly not me) is questioning the fact that a Bentley is a far superior car to a Mercedes S600 is far superior to a B200 is far superior to a Honda civic is far superior to a Kia ect. Hell I don't own a Bentley but the finish on the one across the street is so deep and lustrous I could take a swim in it!

The point is that alot/some of the Hugo Boss is as good as any FUSED RTW/OTR suits you will get given equivalent MSRP. What this means is that more expensive MSRP suits are simply completely disqualified based on MSRP price regardless if you can find them at discount somewhere. This also disqualifies bespoke or tailor made stuff because IT IS not OTR and therefore not available at any typical mall and will require far more effort and time equity.

So lets compare for instance Hugo Boss with Zegna Z instead of Zegna Couture or Kiton or Brioni or any SR bespoke job ect. The latter better be far better since they are 50 to 400% or more expensive.

So I am saying given its MSRP in the RTW/OTR arena only it is comparable on ALL CRiTERIA to competition with MSRP quivalent or less. Period.

Two last points:1) although I far prefer a fully canvassed jacket (half canvassed being a half ass measure that still has all the drape reducing fusing present), a fused section of cloth will exhibit far greater tensile strength than the same unfused cloth. Typical fusings are immune to water and would actually prevent woll from shrinking when drying.

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, boxy fit, uninspiring fabric, pushy and unreasonably snobby salespeople and the availability of a far superior product at a similar price range. I also don't like the type of person who would shop at Hugo Boss and then (from my experience) tell the world where he purchased his suit, its just in bad taste.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Macallan9
Why don't you just shop at H&M and drink $7 wine then? If you can't tell the difference and are happy with cheaper things, then more power to you. Why the need to **** over everyone else's desire to have nicer things?
Actually, I find H&M stuff to be total junk. I also think Uniqlo is total garbage. Stuff that feels like cheap cardboard. But, just b/c something is affordable (or common), doesn't mean its "crap". Seems to be a common there for some here. Also, if I poured you a $15 Bordeaux alongside a $150 Bordeaux, I guarantee you couldn't pick them apart.

Butter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are you kidding me?

You don't even have to touch the fabric to tell between $100 and $1000.

At that level, it's the EASIEST to tell. It gets harder as it gets more expensive. It's MUCH harder to tell between a $3000 and $5000 suit even when you touch it and look at details.

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, I find H&M stuff to be total junk.
I also think Uniqlo is total garbage.
Stuff that feels like cheap cardboard.

But, just b/c something is affordable (or common), doesn't mean its "crap".
Seems to be a common there for some here.

Also, if I poured you a $15 Bordeaux alongside a $150 Bordeaux,
I guarantee you couldn't pick them apart.

Dude stop. Seriously stop

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Yes, I should have used $250 v. $1000.
Or whatever price point you need to get 100% worsted wool at some suit warehouse
It's easy to spot glossy wool/poly blends.

So essentially, the difference between a Macy's level suit (Lauren, Alfani) vs. something like BB1818 or PRL suit? You're telling me you can't tell the difference? Holy ****.

jnm23q

Reaction score
People on here don't like Boss because they charge 90GBP for shirts which have poor fabric quality and plastic buttons
When you have options like Hilditch at that price Boss doesn't make sense

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nereis
Personally, boxy fit, uninspiring fabric, pushy and unreasonably snobby salespeople and the availability of a far superior product at a similar price range. I also don't like the type of person who would shop at Hugo Boss and then (from my experience) tell the world where he purchased his suit, its just in bad taste.

but you have no problem with people on SF bragging about their name-brand custom-made clothes???? Especially when they only do so to impart superiority to others???

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bananananana
So essentially, the difference between a Macy's level suit (Lauren, Alfani) vs. something like BB1818 or PRL suit? You're telling me you can't tell the difference? Holy ****.
Ok, maybe I should adjust that. Walking down the street, or standing around a party, no one is going to know the difference b/w a navy suit of either caliber, provided they are both tailored properly, and the expensive suit isn't given away by things like a ticket pocket or working sleeve buttons. Yes, if you put them side by side, under a floodlamp, I am sure there is some difference. But, I am talking "real life". I have several recent $1000 range Canali suits. I also have some old $200 100% wool "Bill Blass" and "Lauren" caliber suits from my younger days. Looks the same to me. Also, that's easy to overlook is that a $250 warehouse suit is less likely to have the details tailored, like proper shoulder fit, correct jacket & sleeve length. Anyone paying $1000+ for a suit is probably more educated on fit, and will attend to those details. In that sense, expensive suits are more apt to look better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads