• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Mother Has Gone Native!

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
This. Or, I go to the grocery store at odd times...like on the way home from work. I would do it, but I can't seem to get my **** together enough to make it happen.

I have a massive supply of plastic and paper sacks at home. My reuse of them doesn't seem to keep up with the supply.

I now have a supermarket literally over the road from my abode, so taking my own bags is a simple affair. However I have just run out of the huge backlog of plastic bags that I was using for refuse, so now have the dilemma of should I buy plastic refuse bags.
eh.gif

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This. Or, I go to the grocery store at odd times...like on the way home from work. I would do it, but I can't seem to get my **** together enough to make it happen.

I have a massive supply of plastic and paper sacks at home. My reuse of them doesn't seem to keep up with the supply.

Yup, pretty much this.

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
People like you are the reason everyone else thinks americans are fat, rude people who believe they own the world because they're rich.

I can assure you that I'm quite thin.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just keep one in the trunk of my car so I'm not without it. If I go to Safeway, I leave it in the trunk, but if I go to Whole Foods or Draeger's, I'll bring it in with me, because all the hot yoga pants chicks in those places like to see a man with a reusable bag.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I like the canvas bag thing, though the assholes at Whole Foods make things difficult by not allowing you to use it as a shopping basket as well. You have to use a little plastic basket until you have paid. Annoying.
Really? I dump my **** right into the bags and nobody has ever said a word to me. And that's shopping at 3 different stores in the area.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holybich
Many of the "Save the Earth" types are so hypocritical. It's hilarious; they look down on you for not using re-useable canvas bags, and meanwhile they water their one-acre lawns, drive their hybrids (look at me, I'm polluting less than you!) and have 3 kids.

If people truly cared about the planet, they would go Native American or something. Why not take it to the extreme? Why not move to a smaller house, ride a bike, and have fewer children? Why not turn off the AC in the summer and turn down the thermostat in the winter?

This strawman bullshit is so annoying.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not a huge environmentalist or anything but in Montreal a lot of places charge for bags now and in Toronto it's a law. You can still get plastic but it costs 5 cents I think it's a good thing. I kinda wish they'd charge more and put it towards better recycling programs. I wouldn't mind. I buy plastic when I forget the canvas, but I try to remember as much as possible. It's such an easy thing to do.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Get with the times, man. Even my conservative OC relatives recycle and reuse their shopping bags. Reusing your bag is bipartisan.

Composting. That's another story. It's the law in SF.
smile.gif

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
Get with the times, man. Even my conservative OC relatives recycle and reuse their shopping bags. Reusing your bag is bipartisan.

Composting. That's another story. It's the law in SF.
smile.gif

They won't let you compost ***** though. True story.

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
Ehhhh. Talk to me when your mom goes post-consumer and starts dumpster-diving.
I do this, or I used to. Well, I guess I still do. When I was a kid, maybe third grade, I saw kids throwing away everything in their lockers at the end of the school year. I collected it anything usable to bring to a thrift store. Did the same through college and grad school -- if I was around and had the time. In my building now, if I'm throwing out trash and I see (or hear) a bag with cans and bottles in it, I'll rip it open and toss them in the recycling bin. If I see usable stuff (clothes, household goods, furniture), I'll take that to a thrift store too, or leave it on the sidewalk for people to take.
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
I will be sure to announce that immediately upon my arrival.
You have a job now?

A.K.A.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Why? You just enjoy ******* up non-renewable resources? I know that bag thing has been taken to absurd heights when we compare it to other areas where actions should be taken and would have a higher yield but ****, why be a dick with natural resources.

I thought the paper bags at Whole Foods were made of recycled paper? Why do you want to deprive the people at the paper bag factory jobs?

As for me, I use the paper bags to light my charcoal chimney.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The canvas bag advocates may as well be lobbyists for the trash-can liner industry.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holybich
Many of the "Save the Earth" types are so hypocritical. It's hilarious; they look down on you for not using re-useable canvas bags, and meanwhile they water their one-acre lawns, drive their hybrids (look at me, I'm polluting less than you!) and have 3 kids.

If people truly cared about the planet, they would go Native American or something. Why not take it to the extreme? Why not move to a smaller house, ride a bike, and have fewer children? Why not turn off the AC in the summer and turn down the thermostat in the winter?

It's like my uncle telling me to stop eating meat because it's a waste of resources and it indirectly results in the killing of animals. But he thinks nothing of paying for termite control and grub control for the lawn. Or living in a 3000 square-foot house, the building of which definitely killed/displaced many animals.

It's annoying when a more "righteous" person judges you, it's hilarious when a less "righteous" person judges you.

This only bugs me when the people are ''all or nothing'' in their conversation about the environment. It's usually the same people who complain about the horrible conditions that factory workers go through in third-world countries but still wear Nike and Gap.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We have a bunch of those cheap recycled bags from Whole Foods and other markets, but most often we ask for paper bags. If we didn't get those, we'd have a much harder time recycling newspapers, cans and bottles-- and that is a good thing to do, right?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads