• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Mother Has Gone Native!

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A.K.A.
I thought the paper bags at Whole Foods were made of recycled paper? Why do you want to deprive the people at the paper bag factory jobs?

As for me, I use the paper bags to light my charcoal chimney.

The problem isn't really the bags its that dirtbags like maduro or you actually feel proud about their negative impact. Granted everything you've ever posted has shown what a horrible piece of garbage in dire need of recycling you are but I guess I'm still hoping there is a possiblity you'll keep your rabid political opinions but at least stop being entirely uncaring of your environment.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
MrsG and I are somewhere in the middle on this. We tend to do one or two massive shops a month, and then pick up a few bags of items with a short shelf-life, or a high rate of consumption, about once a week. For the former we tend to get plastic bags, because it's completely impractical to carry around 20 reusables, but for the latter we try to use reusable bags.

One of the nice things about living in a college town is that nearly everyone we know is kind of a hippie, so they've given us canvas bags. The only reusable bags we've spent any money on are the ones that come with the little pouch sewn in. You can stuff the bag into the pouch, and it's small enough to keep in a glove box (where we each keep one). That way we've always got one around if we need to run in for a few items.

I think our approach is pragmatic. We're helping to cut down on our consumption of something that isn't particularly good for the environment, but we're not all extremist about it.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
MrsG and I are somewhere in the middle on this. We tend to do one or two massive shops a month, and then pick up a few bags of items with a short shelf-life, or a high rate of consumption, about once a week. For the former we tend to get plastic bags, because it's completely impractical to carry around 20 reusables, but for the latter we try to use reusable bags.

One of the nice things about living in a college town is that nearly everyone we know is kind of a hippie, so they've given us canvas bags. The only reusable bags we've spent any money on are the ones that come with the little pouch sewn in. You can stuff the bag into the pouch, and it's small enough to keep in a glove box (where we each keep one). That way we've always got one around if we need to run in for a few items.

I think our approach is pragmatic. We're helping to cut down on our consumption of something that isn't particularly good for the environment, but we're not all extremist about it.

Applying this to numerous aspects of our lives could certainly yield pretty good results if everyone had a similar approach.

D Yizz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
My mother, who is somewhat well known in this county (Santa Cruz) and regarded as a fascist (she is a centrist Democrat), has always held herself apart from the libs around here who so tormented her in her past life. She wore their scorn as a badge of honor, in the defiant words of Dan Quayle.

Well, today we went to Whole Foods in Capitola and, like a hippie eco-green killjoy epigone, she ... brought in her own empty canvas grocery bags!! WTF? I was incredulous.

I asked her what on earth she was doing. Had she become a green without me noticing? No. It was peer pressure, pure and simple. Shame. She could no longer stand the dirty looks and snide comments of the cashiers and especially of the other granola patrons. They wore her down.

What's next? Will she become a block captain?

What does this mean? That since she's a "centrist democrat" she has to consciously keep using plastic bags as a political statement? Please, I don't think a decision like that has anything to do with your sociopolitical ideas. I do not consider myself "green" or "tree hugger". Hell I drive a premium gas guzzling 300hp car, but if I can help just a bit to avoid pollution, I consciously do so. For example, Every 2 or 3 days I buy a bag of mallorcas (sweet rolls) on the gas station/convenience store close to my house. The clerk automatically hands me a plastic bag but I always refuse it. What's the use for it? None. I can easily carry the pastries bag by itself. It's the same with using canvas bags for shopping. It doesnt hurt anyone except of course the plastic bag industry. Sure, there are people that cave in to peer pressure, but this is ridiculous.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Thank you for clearing that up.

A.K.A.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
The problem isn't really the bags its that dirtbags like maduro or you actually feel proud about their negative impact. Granted everything you've ever posted has shown what a horrible piece of garbage in dire need of recycling you are but I guess I'm still hoping there is a possiblity you'll keep your rabid political opinions but at least stop being entirely uncaring of your environment.

46 words and no additional punctuation, almost unintelligible.

I recycle plastic bags by using them to pick up my dogs' crap when we walk them on our 2 mile loop. Sometimes the plastic bags from the grocery store (when I shop at a supermarket) have holes in the bottom rendering them useless to be repurposed as schitebags.

We bought 1000 plastic t-shirt bags at Costco for $13. Awesome! That is enough dog crap bags to last almost three years.

By the way for all of you plastic grocery bag haters, if left in the sun the bags deteriorate to confetti in a month. Bury them in the ground, and who knows how long it takes them to break down. Good thing the landfill engineers have us covered.

Usul

Reaction score
Originally Posted by D Yizz
What does this mean? That since she's a "centrist democrat" she has to consciously keep using plastic bags as a political statement? Please, I don't think a decision like that has anything to do with your sociopolitical ideas. I do not consider myself "green" or "tree hugger". Hell I drive a premium gas guzzling 300hp car, but if I can help just a bit to avoid pollution, I consciously do so. For example, Every 2 or 3 days I buy a bag of mallorcas (sweet rolls) on the gas station/convenience store close to my house. The clerk automatically hands me a plastic bag but I always refuse it. What's the use for it? None. I can easily carry the pastries bag by itself. It's the same with using canvas bags for shopping. It doesnt hurt anyone except of course the plastic bag industry. Sure, there are people that cave in to peer pressure, but this is ridiculous.

The idea of someone having a continuing relationship with gas station pastries makes me feel a little hopeless.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I estimate I probably use canvas grocery bags about two-thirds to three-quarters of the time when grocery shopping. I don't always remember to have it with me which accounts to some of those times and the others are conscious decisions in order to have enough paper bags to separate my recyclables. Besides the environmental benefits, as I often walk to the grocery store there is no bigger
ffffuuuu.gif
moment (outside of conne's life that is) than when one of the handles on a paper bag rips while still several blocks from home. Getting caught in a sudden downpour with paper bags has led me to curse the heavens for forsaking me before.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Applying this to numerous aspects of our lives could certainly yield pretty good results if everyone had a similar approach.

This is precisely the logic that drives me to do these types of things. Small improvements are still improvements, even if the people who lead these movements (for lack of a better term) want us all to believe it's an all-or-nothing proposition.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually take this bag with me to WF. I get looks but no hippie has the balls to open their mouth after they give me the once over. Let me know if moms needs one
smile.gif

Cnd7eTUjmoFPQ2qkrBjP9YujyQk1s5TWf6KqKeCrB9g_0ESQQ1X59KViGWMn3LK6Ka3oCc3yO9jeVuxMIqOH6wtCEhWjHm-RJYSBMF8NGLfdQPIpvG9Lh6jnNNE8h3PInh-8x7CvCChA78Et_llB1R2_8rZxzJyV9qpn4qjWh6iY3Y9UafnVnGHeae35jHTmHeEMFCpA8vXAoeS-D4IxI1LcwmO0Cl5IiQ

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
That'll go over big here.

Blog Marley

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xiaogou
I usually take this bag with me to WF. I get looks but no hippie has the balls to open their mouth after they give me the once over. Let me know if moms needs one
smile.gif

Cnd7eTUjmoFPQ2qkrBjP9YujyQk1s5TWf6KqKeCrB9g_0ESQQ1X59KViGWMn3LK6Ka3oCc3yO9jeVuxMIqOH6wtCEhWjHm-RJYSBMF8NGLfdQPIpvG9Lh6jnNNE8h3PInh-8x7CvCChA78Et_llB1R2_8rZxzJyV9qpn4qjWh6iY3Y9UafnVnGHeae35jHTmHeEMFCpA8vXAoeS-D4IxI1LcwmO0Cl5IiQ

this is awesome, if i didn't enjoy the disposable paper bags I would proudly walk around with this at WF.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xiaogou
smile.gif

Lyndon Larouche's people wave signs like that outside a nearby Whole Foods.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
A Republican won a special election for State Senate here yesterday. I expect a 10.0 earthquake before I leave.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads