• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Whats the ratio of SB to DB suits in your wardrobe ?

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where would you say a DB ranks in prestige (ie needing to be senior in rank to wear one to work)?

My opinion:

1. 3 piece suit - requires most seniority

2. DB

3. SBPL

4. SB

I think this is an important question to ask, as I would not wear a 3 piece suit to work until senior management or thereabouts.

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
a couple of misguided years ago i also tried a DB sportcoat and it was one of the most idiotic looks i'd ever attempted. all of that pomp and circumstance on top, and nothing to match below.

i don't have any strong objections to DBs aesthetically, but there are just too many things about them that are mildly annoying. the more constricting fit, especially when you want to actually move around, sit down, etc. the enormous, flappy, elephant-ear lapels. the fact that for them to look good the fit has to be extra-perfect -- very unforgiving compared to a SB. which probably means bespoke, which, to be honest, is something that i have neither the time for nor interest in since i have a couple of brands / models that fit me at bespoke quality OTR.

i have respect for them because of the tradition and cultural baggage that accompanies them, but they are more trouble than they are worth, and if they'd never existed and i were to see one for the first time today, i'd probably think they look incredibly goofy. so rather than trying to intellectually justify a purchase to "round out my wardrobe", i've decided to let DBs pass me by, and have zero regrets.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
vox - we know that you own every style of every piece of garment ever designed since the Renaissance. And in every cloth and color. Because, well, why not? That said, other people have to make decisions in life and cannot simply just buy 3 of everything and de facto end up liking everything. Yes, crazy as it sounds, some of us first decide if they like something and then make a purchase decision.

That's rather harsh. The turban that I'm wearing today is surprisingly cooling.

If I didn't have several, how could I have one perfect for August in New England?

confused.gif

- B

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
waht's the over/under on members & guests that have photobucket accounts chock full 'o pix of vox?

I have an actual bucket filled with pics of vox, and what I do with that bucket is no one's business but my own.

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Yika
0 DBs. I am way too skinny.

I was loving Cillian Murphy's DB in Inception, and he is a slim chap.

I had trouble finding a pic of it though, and this one is not great, but here goes;

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Dewi

Reaction score
6 SB
0 DB

I'm working on rectifying that, I just have a hard time finding DB that don't look ridiculous on me.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
According to Despos, the more breasts, the better. If I might ask teh Membership: what is your ratio of Norfolk jackets to ghillie collar jackets? Mine is even. - B
5 SB suits, 5 SB sport coats. 0 DB s or sc. 1 Norfolk jacket; 0 ghillie collar jackets.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Double breasted:
1 dinner jacket
1 suit
1 blazer
1 fiancÃ
00a9.png
e!

Single breasted:
11 suits
19 odd jackets (blazers, sports jackets etc.)

nexus

Reaction score
0 DB. It takes a certain type to pull them off. I think I look absurd in them. At some point I may get one but I can't imagine my ratio ever being more than 1:as many SBs as I own.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight
Where would you say a DB ranks in prestige (ie needing to be senior in rank to wear one to work)?

My opinion:

1. 3 piece suit - requires most seniority

2. DB

3. SBPL

4. SB

I think this is an important question to ask, as I would not wear a 3 piece suit to work until senior management or thereabouts.

I think it is the opposite. The senior people in my office wear Tommy Bahama shirts and khakis. Why? Because they make millions, have equity ownership and don't give an F. Besides, we work near the beach and a golf course.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mercretas
No double breasted for me. I'm very tall and thin, and I don't think I've seen a DB done well on anyone with my frame. DB also strikes me as too formal for my needs.

Originally Posted by Yika
0 DBs. I am way too skinny.

The following are all deeply held convictions I have hear about DB jackets:
"Only tall, thin men can get away with them."
"Only round men should wear them."
"They give the illusion of height to short men."

Moral: Anyone who rejects DB jackets on the grounds of body type is an idiot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads