Whats the ratio of SB to DB suits in your wardrobe ?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by aj_del, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

2. TheDarkKnight

TheDarkKnight Senior member

Where would you say a DB ranks in prestige (ie needing to be senior in rank to wear one to work)?

My opinion:

1. 3 piece suit - requires most seniority

2. DB

3. SBPL

4. SB

I think this is an important question to ask, as I would not wear a 3 piece suit to work until senior management or thereabouts.

3. OttoSkadelig

OttoSkadelig Senior member

a couple of misguided years ago i also tried a DB sportcoat and it was one of the most idiotic looks i'd ever attempted. all of that pomp and circumstance on top, and nothing to match below.

i don't have any strong objections to DBs aesthetically, but there are just too many things about them that are mildly annoying. the more constricting fit, especially when you want to actually move around, sit down, etc. the enormous, flappy, elephant-ear lapels. the fact that for them to look good the fit has to be extra-perfect -- very unforgiving compared to a SB. which probably means bespoke, which, to be honest, is something that i have neither the time for nor interest in since i have a couple of brands / models that fit me at bespoke quality OTR.

i have respect for them because of the tradition and cultural baggage that accompanies them, but they are more trouble than they are worth, and if they'd never existed and i were to see one for the first time today, i'd probably think they look incredibly goofy. so rather than trying to intellectually justify a purchase to "round out my wardrobe", i've decided to let DBs pass me by, and have zero regrets.

4. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

vox - we know that you own every style of every piece of garment ever designed since the Renaissance. And in every cloth and color. Because, well, why not? That said, other people have to make decisions in life and cannot simply just buy 3 of everything and de facto end up liking everything. Yes, crazy as it sounds, some of us first decide if they like something and then make a purchase decision.

That's rather harsh. The turban that I'm wearing today is surprisingly cooling.

If I didn't have several, how could I have one perfect for August in New England?

[​IMG]

- B

5. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

waht's the over/under on members & guests that have photobucket accounts chock full 'o pix of vox?

I have an actual bucket filled with pics of vox, and what I do with that bucket is no one's business but my own.

6. TheDarkKnight

TheDarkKnight Senior member

0 DBs. I am way too skinny.

I was loving Cillian Murphy's DB in Inception, and he is a slim chap.

I had trouble finding a pic of it though, and this one is not great, but here goes;

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

7. GBR

GBR Senior member

10: 0, the SBs have it.

8. Dewi

Dewi Senior member

6 SB
    0 DB

I'm working on rectifying that, I just have a hard time finding DB that don't look ridiculous on me.

9. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Senior member

According to Despos, the more breasts, the better. If I might ask teh Membership: what is your ratio of Norfolk jackets to ghillie collar jackets? Mine is even. - B
    5 SB suits, 5 SB sport coats. 0 DB s or sc. 1 Norfolk jacket; 0 ghillie collar jackets.

10. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

Double breasted:
    1 dinner jacket
    1 suit
    1 blazer
    1 fiancÃ[​IMG]e!

Single breasted:
    11 suits
    19 odd jackets (blazers, sports jackets etc.)

11. nexus

nexus Well-Known Member

0 DB. It takes a certain type to pull them off. I think I look absurd in them. At some point I may get one but I can't imagine my ratio ever being more than 1:as many SBs as I own.

12. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

Just as interesting is, what is the ratio of suit pants to suit jackets.

13. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

Where would you say a DB ranks in prestige (ie needing to be senior in rank to wear one to work)?

My opinion:

1. 3 piece suit - requires most seniority

2. DB

3. SBPL

4. SB

I think this is an important question to ask, as I would not wear a 3 piece suit to work until senior management or thereabouts.

I think it is the opposite. The senior people in my office wear Tommy Bahama shirts and khakis. Why? Because they make millions, have equity ownership and don't give an F. Besides, we work near the beach and a golf course.

14. calisanfran

calisanfran Senior member

0 DB. And intend keeping it there.

15. amplifiedheat

amplifiedheat Senior member

No double breasted for me. I'm very tall and thin, and I don't think I've seen a DB done well on anyone with my frame. DB also strikes me as too formal for my needs.

0 DBs. I am way too skinny.

The following are all deeply held convictions I have hear about DB jackets:
    "Only tall, thin men can get away with them."
    "Only round men should wear them."
    "They give the illusion of height to short men."

Moral: Anyone who rejects DB jackets on the grounds of body type is an idiot.