• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheap Reliable Used Car not a Toyota/Honda

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because I like to be different from everyone else.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Nissan Sentra - underrated
the old Infiniti G20 - underrated and reasonably nice for what you'll pay for it

bcate3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
Nissan Sentra - underrated
the old Infiniti G20 - underrated and reasonably nice for what you'll pay for it

+1. also from the g20 era, a 200SX. personal choice would be mazda protege5.

summej2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bcate3
personal choice would be mazda protege5.

I bought one of these when I got back to the country; in seven years there's been nothing but routine maintenance (oil changes, new tires about a year ago, etc.). I bought it super cheap off the lot at the end of the model year and negotiated in a seven-year warranty, which I never used.

Mauby

Reaction score
Ford Crown Vic...not a fan myself, but an uncle of mine buys a used one every few years. They are usually used police cars. He never has any problems with them.

turboman808

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lemmywinks
Because I like to be different from everyone else.

Then you should get an unreliable honda or toyota.

I can't think of anything that I would call interesting and also call reliable.

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is no brainer: Volvo 240.
1. reliable
2. You'd be different for sure.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is where a the grand prix/malibu/impala/grand am/alero comes in. Plenty of room in those cars. the 3600 series v6 is bullet proof. you can easily find some with around 100k miles on them for $3000, or less. Most will be fully loaded with power everything, cushy seats, and quiet cabins. You will also get low 20's city/low 30's freeay mpg with those cars.

I'll always endorse those cars to anyone.

amnesiac

Reaction score
+1 90s nissan/infiniti

the sentra, 180sx, g20 are all reliable and there are tons of parts available for good prices as well as several very large forums with enough information to diagnose anything that could possibly go wrong with them.

I'm partial to the 4th generation 95-99 nissan maxima. it was the first generation of the now legendary (if only because of ward's and ubiquity backed by marketing) VQ engine and the thing is bulletproof. I have a 98 that's been in my family since 98 and it still runs well at 200k, the interior is clean and all we've had to do was regular maintenance - oil, plugs, filters, just redid the shocks and got lowering springs, clutch, fluids, etc. Also, as long as you have a good shop or can do the work yourself, nothing short of totaling it is out of reach for fixing. This is the case with all of the above mentioned cars. Also, they're pretty quick and handle well even still.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads