• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

URGENT -- Protective heel & toe rubber taps

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitMyself
Where can I buy these heel taps and toe taps? What kind of stores sell them?

Thanks!

Let me warn you about plastic heel taps. They are quite uncomfortable. I sent all of my shoes to B. Nelson in NYC to have flush mounted toe taps. I left the heel alone. As long as you have some shoes in rotation, the heel will take time to wear down.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jay Gatsby
Nobody is answering this in my other thread so I resurrected this one.

After I have the heel savers put on, I walk around awkwardly clomping like I was in high heels. And I feel like I'm in high heels. What's wrong
confused.gif

1. the plastic ones are rubbish

2. heel taps either rubber, metal, teflon, plastic have to be installed flush, period

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xiaogou
What about flush mounted metal toe taps?

Can these be installed when the sole at the toe has worn down a bit? I really don't want to re-sole just because a couple millimeters of the front of the sole has worn out.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JesseJB
Can these be installed when the sole at the toe has worn down a bit? I really don't want to re-sole just because a couple millimeters of the front of the sole has worn out.

Yes.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can these be installed when the sole at the toe has worn down a bit?

this should be the case.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As NOBD said, yes. I asked Nick V. this and he affirmed. He said in some cases, they add leather to build up the tip if it is really worn down. Better to get it done sooner rather than later.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You suppose to only install the taps after your shoe has worn down a little. That way the cobbler knows where you get the most wear and places the taps appropriately.

I like Sunken Metal Plates for their aesthetics. I rarely wear down my toes but I blow through my outer heels.

You should only resole when your center sole has been worn down. I think toes or heels can just be reinforced and tapped.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh good. I was putting it off dreading the "Toe taps? you need a whole new sole because of this toe wear, you idiot!" thing.
laugh.gif

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JamesX
1. You suppose to only install the taps after your shoe has worn down a little. That way the cobbler knows where you get the most wear and places the taps appropriately.

I like Sunken Metal Plates for their aesthetics. I rarely wear down my toes. 2. ...but I blow through my outer heels.

You should only resole when your center sole has been worn down. I think toes or heels can just be reinforced and tapped.

1. correct

2. so here is your answer...

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
1. the plastic ones are rubbish.

really? why?

i would imagine metal would make a racket, and would be slippery as well on smooth surfaces. i have slipped far too many times on smooth airport floors and it is one of my least favorite experiences (especially with a loaded shoulder bag).

i hate the squishy feel of rubber.

plastic seems like a good compromise. feels crisper than rubber, reasonable longevity, and offers a bit more traction than metal.

since all that a heel plate does is put a bit more distance between the ground and the shoe, and since they are cheap, i'm not sure how any heel plate could be verboten. if it wears out, put in a new one...

but look forward to learning why you hold the view that you do.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OttoSkadelig
really? why?

long story short: i talk about the cheap ones, which are not installed flush.

the rest is personal preference and the ability to walk.

daspianist

Reaction score
What are some good brands of plastic or nylon toe/heel taps that one could acquire online (or good eBay vendors to buy from) and assemble at home?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads