• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Have you ever dated a woman that was one step ahead of you mentally?

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
My previous relationship wasn't terrible... except on this point. She read ****** historical romance novels, believes a psychic predicted her brother's death and never expressed interest in movies aside from comedies and horror.
I took her to the SF MOMA and she was bored to tears - and unironically made a "three-year old could that" crack. She thought I was weird for being excited about a new translation of Tolstoy short fiction.

The sex was fantastic, and I'm down with comedies and horror - but eventually I felt like I was dumbing myself down by staying with her.

dude... you dont exactly sound like a great date. if someone told me my choice of movies was not up to their level, got a boner over Tolstoy or couldnt laugh at the rediculousness of most modern art then Id be over it too.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poorsod
You do realize your strict physical criteria makes such women quite uncommon. The women I've met who meet such criteria tend to be married to men who own their own hedge funds, private equity firms or etc. Perhaps your task would be easier once you have your own hedge fund.
cool.gif

Cute asians in their twenties tend to be married to dudes with hedge funds? Please.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Most cute asians have not delivered on this front.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tomgirl
okay, this is going to sound really self-centered. i'm clearly narcissistic on a few levels though, so i'm allowed.

i consider myself intelligent in the first place, and even moreso in the city i live in. guys who meet me either don't "get" my wit, or else they're initially excited by it. this feeling of excitement wanes quickly though, because i think most men ultimately want a more docile wifey figure and not someone who's going to constantly propose a mental challenge to them. it makes sense that a challenge gets tiring after a while, but i always get kind of annoyed when guys keep insisting they'd kill to date an intelligent woman. it's a little unfortunate, but i'm pretty sure most actually intelligent women went to post secondary and were force-fed feminist rhetoric, and due to this find it difficult to reconcile their independence with being the wifey figure every guy seems to secretly want. if guys have dated intelligent women and not enjoyed it, it's probably for this reason.

Absolutely spot on.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Davidko19
dude... you dont exactly sound like a great date. if someone told me my choice of movies was not up to their level, got a boner over Tolstoy or couldnt laugh at the rediculousness of most modern art then Id be over it too.
Not everyone shares your cultural horizons, Milosz's point is that, at the very least, a little bit of overlap enriches a relationship. You may disagree but, judging by what you usually have to say about women, you are a sad case of insecurity wrapped in misogyny.

c00kz

Reaction score
Not quite yet. Could be because of an age thing, could be because I'm a nerd who frequents thescienceforum.com, it's in the air. I wouldn't say a lack of knowledge is completely damning though. Most of the past relationships in which I was "a step ahead", I was also more immature and loserish, so, hey.

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Pun
Never. The witty girls in my area all look like Kwilkinson with hives.

Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Sounds like a sexy ***** to me.

Plus think of the healthy sized natural ta ta's.

UpperWestie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Most cute asians have not delivered on this front.

You obviously have not sat down with one for a head to head math challenge.
ffffuuuu.gif

Seriously though, it depends on where she's from. Korean? She'll have few issues showing u up in a game of connect four. Japanese? yawn trying to get response.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Generally speaking, the more closely aligned you are on all dimensions (physical and mental), the better your chances of having a solid relationship. This has been born out by countless studies. Even some longitudinal ones.

It's pretty much impossible to pre-screen women for how closely they match your own level of intelligence, but a good match is usually better in the long run than "a step above" or "a step below."

Works the same way for physical attractiveness, socioeconomic status, and so forth. Close alignment isn't some sort of magic recipe for success, but it is very highly correlated with longer-lasting and happier relationships. Disparities in any dimension are not dealbreakers, per se, but the wider the disparity, the more friction is baked into the relationship.

k9n

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
Generally speaking, the more closely aligned you are on all dimensions (physical and mental), the better your chances of having a solid relationship. This has been born out by countless studies. Even some longitudinal ones.

It's pretty much impossible to pre-screen women for how closely they match your own level of intelligence, but a good match is usually better in the long run than "a step above" or "a step below."

Works the same way for physical attractiveness, socioeconomic status, and so forth. Close alignment isn't some sort of magic recipe for success, but it is very highly correlated with longer-lasting and happier relationships. Disparities in any dimension are not dealbreakers, per se, but the wider the disparity, the more friction is baked into the relationship.

+1

"but but opposites attract!"

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard

So you are saying I need to meet a caucasian 6 that is annoyingly sarcastic? My marriage is going to suck.
frown.gif

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
At least the small penis will make it hurt less during sex...

Indeed. The female equivalent of my gargantuan manmeat would indeed be a clitoris as big as a small penis.
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads