• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Right:

I'm not sure how one can acquire tasting skills without tasting. I don't know. Gome, you took this course? Do we get some grape juice or not?

You do taste wine, but only as part of the class, not as part of the exam. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
You do taste wine, but only as part of the class, not as part of the exam. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Ah, gotcha. Whew. Was rethinking possibly taking the class if I didn't get any vino!

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi gang.

Will be in WA for a wine tour and some work in a week or so. I have a couple of days in Seattle before heading down to Walla Walla (where the serious wine seems to be, hence the five hour drive!).

My question is about Woodinville, just outside of Seattle. Many of the state's 500 wineries ship in the grapes from the far east of the state (Red Mtn, Yakima Valley, WW) to their wineries in Woodinville.

Anybody know the area? Other than Ste. Michelle and Crest, any suggestions? Appreciated.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Took Mrs. Piob out for lunch. She's not interested in doing the class but wants me to go for it. I'll be checking out the cost/size of some books on Amazon tonight. Btw, d/l the word doc course outline. Has a nice summary of DOCGs and French appellations.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Took Mrs. Piob out for lunch. She's not interested in doing the class but wants me to go for it. I'll be checking out the cost/size of some books on Amazon tonight. Btw, d/l the word doc course outline. Has a nice summary of DOCGs and French appellations.

NICE. The Wine Bible, while outdated in some regards, is excellent. As is the World Atlas of Wine, I reference this often.

I need to get the Oxford companion sometime.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
If we all pass this exam, in 2011 we can start a thread just for people that have passed exams by the Court.
laugh.gif

We need a /pretentious: emoticon. Actually, I'm going to go propose that in TransMod. Can you think of an emoticon that could be used on SF more often that that?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to recommend Hesperian. Met the winemaker at a tasting, and his stuff is pretty reasonably priced and really, very good. For immediate drinking, the Anatomy No. 1 2007 is well balanced and ready, and the Rutherford 2006 was good too, though still pretty tannic. I want to have enough time to get my bonafides
frown.gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Went to Kermit Lynch over lunch. They had an excellent deal on '08 cru Beaujolais, so I bought more than I wanted. Also a bunch of rose.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I am so looking forward to going to Kermit Lynch one day. Will that wine hold until the fall, Matt? I plan to do a little buying and have them hold.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A very pleasant, inexpensive ($14) Rhone blend from South Australia. Anticipated for the winery's provenance, but, even with my limited wine experience, the implied price/plonk ratio was worrying. No worries. Good fruit, good balance and structure. Lovely with the BBQ and friends. Will drink again.

stumpjump.jpg

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's definitely allocation season. Got my Kistler fall release allocation today. 26 bottles and I'm not sure if I'll order any or not.

Basically my allocation was 18 bottles split between 5 different single vineyard Chards ($75 per bottle), 6 Sonoma Coast Pinot Noirs ($80/bottle) and 2 single vineyard Pinot Noirs ($90/bottle).

I feel wine purchased out. Would love to have some more as my Kistler stock is running low, but I ordered a few bottles three months ago that haven't arrived yet, so I might just pass on this one.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
It's definitely allocation season. Got my Kistler fall release allocation today. 26 bottles and I'm not sure if I'll order any or not. Basically my allocation was 18 bottles split between 5 different single vineyard Chards ($75 per bottle), 6 Sonoma Coast Pinot Noirs ($80/bottle) and 2 single vineyard Pinot Noirs ($90/bottle). I feel wine purchased out. Would love to have some more as my Kistler stock is running low, but I ordered a few bottles three months ago that haven't arrived yet, so I might just pass on this one.
Can you PM your allocation, with vineyard suggestions, if you feel up to having part of your allocation shipped to me? In fact, some of us in this thread should probably talk about sharing parts of our allocations we don't want. Edit: Oh, Mrs. Piob has late meeting. I had an odd dinner. Baked broccoli with sliced garlic, char soo, and 2007 Eagle Point Stefania Syrah.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads