• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackTheRipper

Reaction score
Went to a Goodwill yesterday and found this green leather jacket that was a bit small on me, but looks great as a cropped jacket. After some googling, I'd date it to the 80s.

Larson McCord

Reaction score
I have read a lot on here about desert boots and suede shoes in general so decided to find some. I was on Ebay and found a pair of hardly worn Calvin Klein Earle boots in sand. Got em for $16 shipped. Fit like a glove. Retail is around $125 on sale but they are discontinued.

About 10 minutes later I see an auction ending for a tobacco brown Allen Edmonds Calhoun, again hardly worn. got em for $30 shipped. These were $300 new, on closeout for a bit over $200 most places I've seen.

So my boots are done I looked for some oxfords and find tobacco Salvatore Ferragamo plain toe bluchers...$13 shipped. Not sure what model they are but I like em a lot.

Got them all this week and all 3 are in remarkably good condition. Not too shabby I think

CasmirRadon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Larson McCord
About 10 minutes later I see an auction ending for a tobacco brown Allen Edmonds Calhoun, again hardly worn. got em for $30 shipped. These were $300 new, on closeout for a bit over $200 most places I've seen.
Not too shabby I think

Excellent finds, especially these. Wish I could find a cheap pair in my size.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just got back from a post-taco stroll through the local goodwill and scored three great ties: one aquascutum and two bb makers, all like-new if not new ... $5.97 total.

EBTX66

Reaction score
Today was tie day! The first stop yielded a Ike Behar for Nieman's dress shirt for $4.99 and a Barney's private label made in Italy tie for $1.49. The next stop was the motherlode: 4 Sulka pocket squares, one plaid silk tie from Tie **** (never heard of them), a very nice Zegna, a beautiful green Nieman's private label made in Italy, and - drum roll please - a Kiton in a beautiful brown/burgundy woven! All for $13.49

I thought the day was going to suck because at the first shop I stopped at I had found a nice pair of wooden shoe trees. I was looking at suits and this attractive lady walked by, smiled, and said "hi". A few minutes later I set the shoe trees on a nearby cabinet and slipped on a sportcoat. When I took the coat off I reached for the trees and they were gone. I went back to the shelf where I found them hoping that an employee had put them up but they were gone. I walked back by the register and there was my cute little suburban mom paying for the shoe trees! She gave me a smile and a slight wink and headed out the door. I almost headed back to the office but I'm glad I stuck it out.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EBTX66
Today was tie day! The first stop yielded a Ike Behar for Nieman's dress shirt for $4.99 and a Barney's private label made in Italy tie for $1.49. The next stop was the motherlode: 4 Sulka pocket squares, one plaid silk tie from Tie **** (never heard of them), a very nice Zegna, a beautiful green Nieman's private label made in Italy, and - drum roll please - a Kiton in a beautiful brown/burgundy woven! All for $13.49
Awesome finds! I've still never found a Kiton. Those Sulka pocket squares must be really nice too!

EBTX66

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Awesome finds! I've still never found a Kiton. Those Sulka pocket squares must be really nice too!

They are. I"ll try to post some pics late tonight. I know Nataku the Night Stalker will still be up
laugh.gif

lynch_king

Reaction score
had a nice day today, im learning alot from you guys!. i added 3 ties to my collection
Polo Ralph Lauren Tie

New with tags rOBERT tALBOTT FOR nORDSTROM

bROOKS BROTHERS MAKERS TIE.

runner-guy

Reaction score
Bought this Brooks Brothers tie today for $14.99 at Marshall's (brown with navy, light blue, and yellow stripes). The tag says irregular but I can't see anything wrong with it.
4756211551_23cd4a7543_m.jpg

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found a couple nice vintage Timex watches. Both need some work, but they were only $1.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper
I tried searching, but I didn't get any good results. If some of you NYCers don't mind revealing your secrets, where are some good places to thrift in NYC?
Don't bother, there aren't any. What's here is all way over priced and completely picked over. You're better off going out to Long Island.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EBTX66
Now we're both going to have an opportunity to become jealous and watch others "try their luck on eBay": you just announced to every amateur flipper in DFW, "come and get it".
facepalm.gif
Still, a couple of really good ones aren't on that site...

Originally Posted by que
im sure that site and others hve been thar
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper
Well, a PM woulda' been fine too. I wouldn't want to make the old-timers angry that secrets were being revealed. But I really appreciate this source. Thanks que
It's not just about that. We've been scouring by trial and error, looking for the best places to thrift. How nice it would have been not to have gone through all of that work, and yes, it's work. To just hand that valuable information to a newcomer, particularly in light of the ever growing crowds and ever shrinking good stock .... ah forget it. Seriously. I go into a thrift now only on occasion and usually can't stand the crowds for more than a few minutes. It's just not worth it to me anymore. I've got all the clothes I need, and ebay isn't the cash cow it once was. So, thrifting is pretty much over for me. My hope is that the ebay market stays crashed so all these flippers realize they're not getting rich, and will move on to some other exploitative activity. Anyway, good luck to you. Thrifting's not what it was even 6 months ago ... not by a long shot. Hope it works out for you anyway. I'm through. NYC used to be a gold mine. Now it's trashed.

lynch_king

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 83glt
It's not just about that. We've been scouring by trial and error, looking for the best places to thrift. How nice it would have been not to have gone through all of that work, and yes, it's work. To just hand that valuable information to a newcomer, particularly in light of the ever growing crowds and ever shrinking good stock .... ah forget it. Seriously. I go into a thrift now only on occasion and usually can't stand the crowds for more than a few minutes. It's just not worth it to me anymore. I've got all the clothes I need, and ebay isn't the cash cow it once was. So, thrifting is pretty much over for me. My hope is that the ebay market stays crashed so all these flippers realize they're not getting rich, and will move on to some other exploitative activity. Anyway, good luck to you. Thrifting's not what it was even 6 months ago ... not by a long shot. Hope it works out for you anyway. I'm through. NYC used to be a gold mine. Now it's trashed.

How long did it take you to make your wardrobe? im doing it slowly and its hard to get like 15 different things at one place, it's always like 1 or 2 things here, 1 or 2 things there.
But i guess it's how i shop for clothes anyway.

But yeah im just wondering since im trying to build a budget on a jobless college student budget. So those $5.99 shirts the thrift store, i really look hard it :p

Temujin

Reaction score
I checked out that sight, but there are several stores in my area that are not on it. Perhaps that is true of other areas as well. I have found, also, that little private stores just seem to "pop up" on occasion, and then go out of business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads