• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by boo
Sampled L'Air du Desert Marocain today. Yuck!!!! I haven't been this repulsed by a scent since Secretions Magnifiques (no offense L'Incandescent
wink.gif
) Felt like a dirty, yet expensive, body odor. Someone tell me that it was just the opening and that it evolves to something more pleasant. I immediately scrubbed it off and didn't give it the chance to find out.

Not a big fan of the stuff either. Perfumer Andy Tauer's best selling fragrance by a long shot. To me it smells like a spice rack and not much else. Interesting that cologne aficionado and writer/critic Luca Turin wore it as his SOTD for his wedding a few years ago.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like L'AdDM but it's a bit strong for me so I pretty much never wear it. I only have a decant but I've barely made a dent in it. I think it's a lovely spicey amber but it's one of those scents that never seems to dry down on me - it just blares on at maximum volume, even it barely dab it on. I guess I like it but don't enjoy wearing it. I do like it on my girl.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by boo
Yuck!!!! I haven't been this repulsed by a scent since Secretions Magnifiques (no offense L'Incandescent
wink.gif
)

shog[1].gif

I'm wearing Secretions Magnifiques today, not because boo mentioned it, but because I'm spending all day at my office alone getting work done.
frown.gif

FWIW (probably not a lot), Secretions got five stars from Luca Turin in Perfumes: The Guide. I also noticed that L'AdDM got five stars from Tania Sanchez. I might have to get a sample.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sampled Creed MI on one arm, Himalaya on the other. Am officialy Creeded out haha. Himalaya is too floral synthetic and weak IMO.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Pun
Am officialy Creeded out haha.

Did you like the Orange Spice? I just sampled it for the first time recently, and I found it very different from all the other Creeds that I've tried. I liked it a lot, although I'm not sure if I like it better than Kouros or not. Other than that, the only Creed that I like a lot is Baie de Genievre. I'm a sucker for juniper though.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Was able to find a supply of good Grapefruit, lemon, and sweet orange extract and, after diluting it down to wearable strength with some perfumer's alcohol (PGA can also be used in a pinch) am enjoying it. It's very light, fresh, and bitter, not deep at all (it's only got the three top notes), but in the middle of the sweltering, humid Japanese rainy season, it's just what the doctor ordered.

Jicky in this weather somehow manages to smell like I've been rolling around in garbage for a half hour.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
After a three-day-camping weekend, I returned home to squint (yes, I lost my glasses) into the mirror and see a LOT of white in my beard. It made me think of Habit Rouge (original), and after a shower and a shave, that's what I went with.

B Hamilton

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PITAronin
While Azure Lime certainly seems - to me at least - to be more characteristic of what I think of as a summer fragrance in the Tom Ford line (esp compared to the ones I'm more familiar with such as Tobacco Vanille or his version of Oud Wood) it pretty much disappeared in no time. Think I'll pass on it and keep looking for grags with a bit more longevity.

that's disappointing to hear.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Jicky edp today.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
After a three-day-camping weekend, I returned home to squint (yes, I lost my glasses) into the mirror and see a LOT of white in my beard. It made me think of Habit Rouge (original), and after a shower and a shave, that's what I went with.
Keith Richards' fragrance of choice

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
Keith Richards' fragrance of choice

Strangely, I did feel rather grizzled and old-ish. Now I'm just sunburned and feeling better groomed. Today: Habit Rouge Legere.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Was able to find a supply of good Grapefruit, lemon, and sweet orange extract and, after diluting it down to wearable strength with some perfumer's alcohol...
Just thought I'd jump in here and mention that probably almost a year ago I just started getting into fragrances and you mentioned that you really liked Guerlain's AA Pamplelune and after sampling many times I finally got round to pulling the trigger on a bottle and have been wearing it quite often and loving it. Tart citrus with warm vanilla and more. Really enjoyable experience, so thanks for the recommendation professor! and inspired by you, I decided to take the ultimate "fcuk it" test of manliness and bought myself a bottle of Chanel no.5 (Eau Premier) which I've really been on the fence about for months and months. Can a straight mid 20's dude pull this off? and, I used your BN's thread on cracking the Chanel code so I figured out my bottle was pretty recent and fresh, phew. Prof Fab saves the day again ! I've been comparing Vetivers... SOTD today was Givenchy's Vetiver... sort of resident of Britain/citrusy, a whole mix of things I couldn't really pick out. Nothing that really caught my attention. Pretty subtle/low key, I basically forgot I was even wearing something... now BN's reviews are basically 23+ and 0 neutral or negative... am I missing something? Maybe because it's so "true" to vetiver? I'm just bored though. Like/not Guerlains for example, at least it's an opinion.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The No. 5 Eau Premiere is lovely and you can definitely pull it off. I've been wanting a bottle since just after it came out. Anyway, I think it's very wearable. If you find that you CAN'T wear it, though, or it's just not working for you... PM me and I'll take your bottle off your hands.
wink.gif
Glad you like the Pamplelune... it's wonderful. The slight creaminess of the vanilla, the funk of the patchouli, and the tart grapefruit really take it in a neat direction. Basenotes USED to be a lot of fun with a lot of SF-like experts (imagine a Manton of parfumerie!) Moderation there got very heavy in favor of noobs and overly PC, and a lot of hand holding for constant, incessant threads that had the same topic (like, 5000000000 "Is my GIT real?" threads and "What Creed should I buy if I like GIT?"). Mods would rant and rage after older members who asked noobs to use the search function and, after a while, one by one the older "noses" just left because it was getting to be a headache. I don't think I've posted there in a year or more.
frown.gif
Gotta run!

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
ah, pulled the trigger on a bottle of Pampelune, finally.

Today...a blast from the past - Signoricci. One of my favorites, too bad it's discontinued. =(

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads