• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do people pay this much for knock offs?

arsenik509

Reaction score
but that is the only difference between the 2. how it's sewn together and the fit. that is if they are using the same fabric as stated. so you can't say they are higher quality really.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by arsenik509
but that is the only difference between the 2. how it's sewn together and the fit. that is if they are using the same fabric as stated. so you can't say they are higher quality really.
I have no idea if it is the same fabric. When I was in the army the fabric of our BDU's was not that great. Then they started with that ripstop fabric so you know it can rip.

I have no idea about the Navy but I know that Marpat is a Trademark of the U.S. Marine Corps. If that is the case with this then that may also explain the high price.

Really if you are just looking at pictures and wondering why things cost so much then you are lost. Worry more about what you are doing, not what other people are doing.

arsenik509

Reaction score
yes i am sure that the navy camo is trademarked too. but they aren't using the same pattern unless i just can't see the details in the pictures. there are little random ACE's(anchor, constirtution, eagle) in the pattern. but it could be the same fabric.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes i am sure that the navy camo is trademarked too. but they aren't using the same pattern unless i just can't see the details in the pictures. there are little random ACE's(anchor, constirtution, eagle) in the pattern. but it could be the same fabric.
Since you have everything figured out I have a question for you.

Why the hell are you wearing camouflage on a ship? Is this to help in hide and seek games or to save money on sailors lost at sea? You can't rescue what you can't see. I would think florescent orange would be more appropriate.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ahab

Why the hell are you wearing camouflage on a ship? Is this to help in hide and seek games or to save money on sailors lost at sea? You can't rescue what you can't see. I would think florescent orange would be more appropriate.

******* lol

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ahab

Flawless victory.

OP needs to reconcile himself to some fundamental truths of dressing.

Right now I'm in Soho 8 hours a day, I really think that if everyone did that for a week and saw all the classy ladies in high-caliber designer jawnz then we wouldn't have so many "but clothing really shouldn't cost so much" people on SF. The train of thought immediately shifts to "man, I really need some Dior 19cms so I can attract the classy bitches."

arsenik509

Reaction score
i have no problem paying more money for higher end gear, but this is rediculous. i also have the thought that i don't really give a **** what people spend their money on. but being in the navy and seeing this made me chuckle. the fashion world has been biting navy style for years though.

and don't ask me why we wear camo i didn't come up with the policy. the first test runs of them actually turned orange when salt water got on them so they could see you better if you fell overboard. then they figured out that sweat makes it change too and they probably cost too much so they scraped that idea.

im sure your snarky little comment is gonna get a lot of laughs, but it just goes to show don't talk about **** you have no idea about. anyone that works on a flight deck or is doing something where they might fall overboard wears a float coat that has reflectors and water activated glow sticks. not hard to find someone if they are seen while falling. if you fall at night or no one notices you fall over you're fucked anyways, cause it'll be +/-12 hours before anyone realizes you're gone. by that time the sharks have already eaten you.

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just saw this today, and since I'm in the Navy I had to laugh. $238 for something that we pay $30 for? Really? And they aren't even the "official" pattern like they say it is. WTF hipsters?!

can we just stop using the word hipster? it's a really stupid pejorative term with no real meaning and applied to anything having to do with some sort of under-the-radar subculture.

as far as costs go, labor and materials plus the fact that these are assembled in the us in much smaller batches especially when compared to say -- the military -- result in an ultimately higher price already, then the three bloggers who run that shop plus the designer all have to turn some sort of profit, so that's the logic behind why something would cost that much.

it's pretty much how it was explained in the ny times article regarding how scott sternberg thought his prices were "a bargain."

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ctrlaltelite
=
it's pretty much how it was explained in the ny times article regarding how scott sternberg thought his prices were "a bargain."

Alright. I understand margins and all of that, but that was a douchey thing for Sternberg to say.

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^fok... it's scott sternberg. some girl presented him with homemade cookies at his f/w 10 presentation ...and he told her they sucked.

dinogj

Reaction score
Im a hiker, and ive hiked since i was old enough to walk. Ive hiked in every sort of pant you can think of and let me say the military grade pants are not so hot. two years ago I had my friend whos in the army pick me up a pair of their field pants. They lasted for two months on the applilachian trail, the shins were patched to hell and eventually the seams gave way. I've had this pair of RRL jeans for going on 1.5 years...Its gone up and down the Applilacian 3 times, from Maine to Georgia.

sure the Military pants were durable, but sometimes, things of quality are just worth paying the extra coin for. Ill be wearing my really awsomely worn pair of RRL for my next trip later this month.

p.s. I realize that I could just have bought new militay pants for each new trip ($40 vs $175) ...buts thats just wasteful =P

arsenik509

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ctrlaltelite
as far as costs go, labor and materials plus the fact that these are assembled in the us in much smaller batches especially when compared to say -- the military -- result in an ultimately higher price already, then the three bloggers who run that shop plus the designer all have to turn some sort of profit, so that's the logic behind why something would cost that much. it's pretty much how it was explained in the ny times article regarding how scott sternberg thought his prices were "a bargain."
i can see that as being a legitimate factor. most military items are made if the us too. anything that isn't while we are in bootcamp they make us tear out the "terrorist" tags. another random fact is that our raincoats are made by american apparel for some reason.

dinogj

Reaction score
another random fact is that our raincoats are made by american apparel for some reason.

don't ask... don't tell...

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the fashion world has been biting navy style for years though.

im sure your snarky little comment is gonna get a lot of laughs, but it just goes to show don't talk about **** you have no idea about. anyone that works on a flight deck or is doing something where they might fall overboard wears a float coat that has reflectors and water activated glow sticks.

1) The fashion world has been biting everybody's style, since forever.

2) Yeah, but why camo? It doesn't blend in when you're on a ******* boat, there's no reason for it not to just be some solid color. It makes no sense.

Electricity

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Makeshift_Robot
1) The fashion world has been biting everybody's style, since forever.

2) Yeah, but why camo? It doesn't blend in when you're on a ******* boat, there's no reason for it not to just be some solid color. It makes no sense.

ergo the U.S. Navy makes no sense. The competency levels in the military are astounding. My friend was in the infantry in Afghanistan and they had jungle instead dessert camo... wtf!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads