• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Essential Business Casual

dagman1

Reaction score
I am trying to build a solid business casual/business wardrobe for when I start work this summer. Normally it's business casual but sometimes suits.

What do you consider to be essential items at the foundation of any business casual wardrobe? If you had to build one from scratch, what would be the first 10 items you'd get?

Thanks.

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
1) Khaki/tan pants
2) Grey pants
3) Navy blazer
4) Brown shoes - captoe, wingtip, half brogue
5) Black shoes - captoe
6) White shirt
7) Blue shirt
8-10) Shirts, lighter colors, can go w/ stripes, checks, or solids, whatever looks good on you

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bananananana
1) Khaki/tan pants
2) Grey pants
3) Navy blazer
4) Brown shoes - captoe, wingtip, half brogue
5) Black shoes - captoe
6) White shirt
7) Blue shirt
8-10) Shirts, lighter colors, can go w/ stripes, checks, or solids, whatever looks good on you

This is all well and good. I'd also add that, despite the protestations of the SF crowd, even blazers and sportcoats are sometimes considered too over-the-top at many "business casual" workplaces these days. The definition of business casual varies from company to company, but the ones I've visited most often feature guys in dress pants and shirts, maybe with loafers or some other variations of laceless shoes. Occasionally you'll see a fitted sweater over the shirts.

Feel free to wear a sport coat and nicer shoes if you want, but the coat might make you stand out (and not necessarily in a good way) at certain workplaces.

I'm not a fan of business casual myself, but it is what it is.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
get a couple Lacoste polos, one in black and one in white.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Light blue button down shirt
Tan chinos
Tan socks
Brown loafers
Navy blazer
Brown belt

Done.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by westinghouse
Light blue button down shirt
Tan chinos
Tan socks
Brown loafers
Navy blazer
Brown belt

Done.

Don't forget your free golf shirt from that tournament you did in 1995.

Mark it 8

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster
Don't forget your free golf shirt from that tournament you did in 1995.
And dont forget the fuckit bucket, eh Rooster?

vincerich

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dagman1
I am trying to build a solid business casual/business wardrobe for when I start work this summer. Normally it's business casual but sometimes suits.

What do you consider to be essential items at the foundation of any business casual wardrobe? If you had to build one from scratch, what would be the first 10 items you'd get?

Thanks.

If I knew what you already have, this would be a lot more easy. I'm going to assume that you have nothing but tshirts and jeans. My first 10 clothing items would probably look something like this:

5 shirts: 2 white, 2 blue, 1 in whatever color/pattern I like.
2 pairs of cotton pants/"chinos": khaki color
2 pairs of wool pants: charcoal and navy
1 v-neck sweater: charcoal, black or navy.

I'm sure that if I thought about it more I would think of adjustments, but that list would give you at least enough to make it through a full week with a basic wardrobe. Let's have more detail on what business-casual items are already in your closet.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In a lot of "business casual" environments, that means no running shoes or open toe footwear, no t-shirts or jeans. Everything else flies.

That rule doesn't seem to apply to women though. I've seen women in flip flops and sandals at law firms while the men are in suits.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Viral
get a couple Lacoste polos, one in black and one in white.

Good call, especially if you get the long sleeve ones which look slightly more dressed up of you take off your blazer or jacket.

Please please for the love of god DO NOT wear a blue button collar BB shirt, khakis and loafers. This is the uniform of the unimaginative. My theory is that most people in a business environment even if they are squares, are forced to have a few suits, shirts and ties of various colour combinations and still fit the dress code, but when they transition to business casual they freak out as they don't know how much business and how much casual, so they revert to the uniform of the unimaginative. I counted 30 yes 30 people in that exact getup merely walking from security to my gate at IAH the other day.

dagman1

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Some things that I already own, mostly CM and J.Crew, nothing fancy. Not so informal--I couldn't wear a golf shirt to work. Any holes here?

Shirts:
Solid white point collar
Solid white oxford point collar
Stripe white/purple oxford button down collar
Solid grey oxford button down collar
Solid pink point collar
Solid light blue point collar
Stripe (unconventional) white/blue point collar

Pants:
Black cotton
Dark brown cotton
Light brown khaki
Light grey glen plaid

Shoes:
Brown captoes
Black wingtips

dagman1

Reaction score
Some things I'm thinking of getting:

Charcoal pants
Navy pants
Light blue oxford
White/blue stripe oxford
White/red stripe oxford
White/blue mini-gingham

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do have a follow-up question. What do you wear with blue dress shirts in a casual setting? Dark pants look too "McDonalds", and apparently light khakis are sinful.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads