• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Food Questions Thread

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
what can i do to chicken breast to make it actually taste good

Good tasting chicken always starts with a quality bird IMO and slowly cooking it. My favorite preparation is to marinade it with some lime, thyme (which i grow on my deck
bigstar[1].gif
), salt, pepper, and olive oil. Then I put it on a hot grill at low heat and cook it slowly. It is always cooked perfectly through and is extremely moist.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
thanks for the suggestions. brining sounds like fun.

also, what's the reason you can eat beef somewhat raw, but not pork? is chicken ok if it's slightly pink? i dont get it. like fish you can eat completely raw and you have things like beef tataki, steak tartare, but not pork?

Prior to modern animal husbandry methods, pork often had trichinosis.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
Good tasting chicken always starts with a quality bird IMO and slowly cooking it. My favorite preparation is to marinade it with some lime, thyme (which i grow on my deck
bigstar[1].gif
), salt, pepper, and olive oil. Then I put it on a hot grill at low heat and cook it slowly. It is always cooked perfectly through and is extremely moist.

Do you have the lid on the whole time? Have you tried brining it first? That will have much more of an effect than a marinade.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
To go along with duck leg confit tomorrow, I want to use some fat and do fingerling potatoes. Wash and halve the taters lengthwise, cook in duck fat at medium high until golden brown?

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
To go along with duck leg confit tomorrow, I want to use some fat and do fingerling potatoes. Wash and halve the taters lengthwise, cook in duck fat at medium high until golden brown?
You might want to blanch half way first.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
That's what I was wondering.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Do you have the lid on the whole time? Have you tried brining it first? That will have much more of an effect than a marinade.

Usually I try to keep the lid down but I keep going back and forth to the BBQ on my deck to check it out of habit pretty often. To be honest, I've never brined in my life. Is there a particular brining technique that you recommend?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
Usually I try to keep the lid down but I keep going back and forth to the BBQ on my deck to check it out of habit pretty often. To be honest, I've never brined in my life. Is there a particular brining technique that you recommend?

there is a chicken brine recipe/instructions in Ad Hoc. I haven't done the chicken one (only pork), but I've eaten Manton's go at it and the results were fantastic.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
You might want to blanch half way first.

That's what I was wondering.

In a restaurant situation, blanch, but the taste is going to be better cooked in the fat the whole way, so I think that is a better way to do it at home.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Buy better chicken.

This, and get chicken breasts which are on the bone and with the skin intact - that makes a BIG difference on the flavor and juiciness of the meat. Sear the meat and then roast in the oven at 400 degrees. Use a meat thermometer because it takes the guesswork out. I cook mine to 145 degrees, let it sit for about 10 minutes. You can then leave it whole, carefully debone it, or chop it in slices with the bone intact and serve it.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
In a restaurant situation, blanch, but the taste is going to be better cooked in the fat the whole way, so I think that is a better way to do it at home.

Medium/high heat? Plan on using a cast iron skillet.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's true. I just don't know how much duck fat you have. No restaurant would ever do that for potatoes... too expensive.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I have enough to cover the split fingerlings. Barely.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score

Relatively low to cook through then frank it and let those babies get some color.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Traditional pommes sarladaise is cooked on about medium with the potatoes turned only once after they have browned, and you add some chopped garlic and parsley at the end. Don't cover the potatoes with fat, but have a nice thick film of it in the pan.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads