• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Some Pics of Saint Crispin's Shoes

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 82-Greg
Gorgeous shoes. I thought they were based out of Austria, not Romania. Or did they just outsource the manufacturing there?

They have a wholly-owned factory in Romania.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Excellent!

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gorgeous shoes. I thought they were based out of Austria, not Romania. Or did they just outsource the manufacturing there?

Exactly.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great shoes.
Originally Posted by Bellison
Well of course a person from India would not be able to afford these shoes.
Sweet mother of god I cannot believe no one else has picked up on this idiocy masquerading as a post. IIRC 2 Indians are 4th and 5th on the Forbes richest list, and he's actually from the Netherlands.
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

headquarter is in austria, including a showroom, where you can buy discontinued models and "seconds".

production has always been in romania. i recall some reports about factory tours on various blog-sites(years ago), but dunno how you qualify for that. i guess, being a journalist might not be a disadvantage.

the brand is merely unknown/"unpopular" in austria and they focus on the export market.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
ET - how does one get to go to the factory in romania? do they sell direct from there as well? (factory store)
not that it matters too much. in general - romania is not the safest place to travel. don't forget your bodyguards. iirc, the factory is in the heart of romania, so it might be a hassle to get there. travel expenses would easily eat up the "discount". on the other hand, the adventure and experince is priceless.

koolhistorian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
not that it matters too much.

in general - romania is not the safest place to travel. don't forget your bodyguards.

iirc, the factory is in the heart of romania, so it might be a hassle to get there. travel expenses would easily eat up the "discount". on the other hand, the adventure and experince is priceless.

Not more unsafe than parts of Vienna I might say
biggrin.gif
. The factory is in Feldioara, which is near Brasov, to Brasov you can arrive either by plane (to Bucharest and Sibiu) and then the train. But I don't think they have a factory shop!

clintonf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
Great shoes.

Sweet mother of god I cannot believe no one else has picked up on this idiocy masquerading as a post.

IIRC 2 Indians are 4th and 5th on the Forbes richest list, and he's actually from the Netherlands.
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif

I'm with you. How can people ignore this and not call this "person" out? What's interesting to me, is that people become more animated over the construction of a pair shoes than someone who is either trying to make a joke and is deluded enough to think it's funny, or so ignorant that he shouldn't be allowed an internet connection.

Well done for spotting this.

Clint

Toronto34

Reaction score
They have shoes on their website going for 600 euros

Not crazy at all.

Anyone have experience ordering from them?

Mata_Leao

Reaction score
Originally Posted by clintonf
I'm with you. How can people ignore this and not call this "person" out? What's interesting to me, is that people become more animated over the construction of a pair shoes than someone who is either trying to make a joke and is deluded enough to think it's funny, or so ignorant that he shouldn't be allowed an internet connection.

That comment was undoubtedly out of line. But I don't think you can fault people for just moving past it with their discussion of shoes. This is a site for men's style, after all. And best practices often dictate that we not feed the trolls.

clintonf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mata_Leao
That comment was undoubtedly out of line. But I don't think you can fault people for just moving past it with their discussion of shoes. This is a site for men's style, after all. And best practices often dictate that we not feed the trolls.

You do make a fair point. Some comments are too dumb to address. Other's are clearly meant to make a statement. In my personal opinion, I think that this statement was meant for some effect and therefore needed to be addressed.

However, I guess the lack of response may be another way of countering such statements.

Regards and thanks

Clint

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
St. Crispin's are frequently available on Ebay too, though only through one seller in my experience. Lately, he's had only small sizes -- sizes 6/7/8, for example. Over the last 4 or 5 years, I've bought two pairs from him (he sells them for @ $550 IIRC) and I agree with others -- the shoes are stunning. The quality of construction is similar to Vass, while the style is more ... stylish than most EGs and Lobbs. Too bad they're not sold at retail in the US, though perhaps that'd mean the prices would go up.

chatty

Reaction score
I have ordered two pairs of MTO from St. Crispin. I just emailed one of the owners Phillip Car to place the order. He is very responsive and helpful. I'm sure if you email the address they list on their website, they should respond.

They did a trunk show in NYC back in the fall of 2008, which is how I knew what size would fit etc. Sadly, there wasn't enough turnout (given economy was starting to struggle), so don't think they made any plans to come back stateside.

My understanding is they are more of a MTO shop, so not much stock lying around. But plus side is that unlike lots of other brands, there is no upcharge for buying MTO.

I have shoes from other high-end brands (EG, Lobb, G&G, Corthay, JM Weston) and think they are on par with them. Great shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads