• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

$3000 budget for shirts, slacks and suits for Hong Kong

tbcthk

Reaction score
Hi all,

First time poster here. Great site.

I just graduated from a US college and will work in finance in a major US city next month. I would like to buy 10 dress shirts, two suits, five slacks and some ties and belts (shoes if they are good bargain) in Hong Kong.

I am from HK originally and will head home for two weeks. Tips I have gotten so far:

Shirts - Jantzen (ask for Ricky)

Obviously this is low budget (USD $3000) and I understand I won't get top quality.

I feel this site focuses a lot on Chan and other really top tailors but anyone has experience with budget tailors?

If anyone can break down where I should get:

-slacks
-suits
-belts
-ties
-shoes (zee?)

that would be so great!

Thanks so much!

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fit is everything, and as such I would focus much more on quality rather than quantity. Even if this will be your only business attire, I think it is better to use that probably hard-earned $3000 on one nice WW Chan, Yao, A-Man, etc bespoke suit and 3 shirts, rather than blowing it all on budget tailors for greater quantity. Obviously you will have to do more cleaning than normal, but I think that's a price worth paying. Some people will vehemently disagree with me, but shoes are not nearly as big of a deal as some make them out to be... get a $50 pair of plain, conservative leather shoes and I highly doubt anyone will notice, especially if you have an awesome custom suit covering the other 95% of your body. Anyway, this only works if you do your research and find out exactly what style you're going for, so you can direct Chan or whoever to make it accordingly.

Mercatorn

Reaction score
go to Lane Crawford in IFC mall to get your shoes and belt.

Why do you need so many slacks? are you planning to not wear a jacket to work very often?

brittain

Reaction score
I am one of the many people Svenn predicted would disagree with his recommendation to buy some cheap shoes.

As for the suits, you can probably get two suits from Chan in VBC cloth for around $2500. 10 shirts from Ricky will be about another $500. I would then get three pairs of slacks for another $500 or so and call it a day. I know thats over your budget a bit, but if you absolutely had to stick to $3000 then just get the suits and shirts, and wait until later for the pants. Pants are easier to find at a bargain in the states- its more important to get the suits taken care of when you're there in person.

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ricky at Jantzen also does suits if you are in Hong Kong. Not sure of the price or how they compare to Chan.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jantzen does both fused and floating canvas suits, if I understand correctly, at the same price and about twice or more cheaper than Chan. They are not spectacular though, a decent beginner suit is always possible with a bit of handholding.

I suppose if you are there in person, their shirts are good value, especially since you can see and feel the fabrics and jump ahead of the internet queues to get your shirt in 3-4 days. Seeing that you are there for much longer, I would suggest that you make a "trial" shirt first, wash it, tweak it and then order more.

If you see your finances becoming more steady in the coming months from your employment, you could head to Chan and try and convince them this --->. Have your measurements taken, choose a fabric and pay a deposit, go for one or two fittings. Tell them you will go missing in Africa or Amazon for a few months and not to bother you and that you will pay the remainder when they next visit the States with your suit.

I would not actually rush into getting so many items at one go, if you are new to this, although I can see the temptation, having paid the air tickets and taken the time to go to Hong Kong. The result I usually see with this kind of whirlwind shopping trips is disappointment and wrong purchase decisions. The reason is that even with a really competent tailor, the first and second commissions are usually stepping stones to a better final product and it takes time to nurture a relationship with the tailor. I assume having gotten the job, you must have at least own and worn something decent enough to get you through the interviews so the same outfits would probably tide you through as you gradually build your wardrobe.

Maybe try 6 shirts, 2 slacks, 1 suit, 1 shoe and some accessories to start with. You don't necessarily have to go for expensive shoes, but definitely not cheap shoes. A pair of calfskin shoes from loake through herring or pediwear will be fine without breaking the bank, although you can decide on this after snooping around for shoes in Hong Kong summer sales.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
peter lee does suits

I'd get 3 suits (from P Lee) $1500 total
3 pants from P Lee $600
2 pairs of good shoes - get these off of Buy and Sell $600 (max)
6 shirts Jantzen $300

saimike

Reaction score
I'd agree with upnorth. Start small, buy quality, and make sure they all fit. Once they have your measurements, and get the cutting properly tweaked, you can always order more later and have them shipped to you.

Put simply, your only objective on this trip is getting the fit right for that first suit or shirt or trousers.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
I would not actually rush into getting so many items at one go, if you are new to this, although I can see the temptation, having paid the air tickets and taken the time to go to Hong Kong. The result I usually see with this kind of whirlwind shopping trips is disappointment and wrong purchase decisions. The reason is that even with a really competent tailor, the first and second commissions are usually stepping stones to a better final product and it takes time to nurture a relationship with the tailor.
This, plus your tastes and preferences will inevitably change. That same structured, one-button, sharply-roped suit you commissioned from Chan in their finest (and most expensive) English fabric will no longer seem like a great deal when you have grown to prefer softly-tailored three-button suits.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Do not buy a suit from Jantzen. It will be a train wreck.

Peter Lee is more expensive than people seem to think. $500 will not get you a suit at PL anymore. It's more like $800. If you have your own cloth he might do CMT for the lower price, but then you need to find cloth.

Chan should be reliable but will also set you back $1200 or so for a suit.

Shirts buy whatever, Jantzen can be fine but you need to watch them closely, but they'll be cheap.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely do Peter Lee for shirts instead of Jantzen. The shirts are around 10% - 20% more in cost, but nearly 100% better in terms of fabric and fit. I have shirts from both and Peter is much better.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
Definitely do Peter Lee for shirts instead of Jantzen. The shirts are around 10% - 20% more in cost, but nearly 100% better in terms of fabric and fit. I have shirts from both and Peter is much better.

Hm, I have found the shirts to be more like 50% more expensive.

I did get to Peter somewhat after you, and when he was a bit more known around these parts, so you may well be paying less for shirts than I am, but Jantzens are about $45 and PLs are more like $70.

tbcthk

Reaction score
Thank you all for the great responses.

First of all I don't see myself heading back to Hong Kong in the next two years so I would like to get my wardrobe mostly done in this trip.

I should also mention that I don't really care how I dress, as long as it is conservative, professional and does not raise any eyebrows (after all I am just 23).

I will make a trial shirt from Jantzen first.

Currently my budget breakdown is:

suits max $1000 (2) - did some research on Peter Lee, Baron Kay and they seem competent. Anyone?
pants max $100 (4) - Peter Lee's $200 is a bit too $ for me. Any suggestion? How about Jantzen?
belts max $50 (3)
shoes max $150 (2)
ties max $100 (4)

So this is more than $3000 but it's for the next two years so I am not too worried.

I can get belts, shoes and ties here. Shoes I am thinking about Johnston & Murphy. I have a melton from them and I like it a lot.

Anyone have suggestions for pants? Thanks!

bigasahouse

Reaction score
Small point in the big scheme here, but if you're getting two pair of shoes, you probably can just stick with 2 belts that match those shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads