• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official brogue boot style thread.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was going to have some fun with this thread, so I went to google images and searched "ridiculous boots." JKissi shows up on page 5, I am not kidding.

lulz

baba booey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Wait just a fuckin minute here, ok so let me get this straight you actually are quite enjoying ******** in your mouth is what you're saying right? Because that's pretty much what you just said.

LOL!!!

As much as I know how you would like to derail this thread to be all about dicks in your mouth I am going to contribute to the subject...good day sir.

I have these, Grenson Ellis.

507001.jpg

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really regret selling my Doc Marten brogue boots five or six years ago.... they were the waxy brown version with the white residue (which was a little affected), but I think I could have treated and polished them into something semirespectable and the last was actually a nice slim shape, not the typical round soled Doc. They also had rather discrete soles.

Pablo-T

Reaction score
Just trying to keep this thread going... The soles of the Stow are pretty wide - but they're not a chunky boot.
TrickersMarch010.jpg
The beauty of this style, in the UK at least, is that you can get pretty good GOodyear welt brogue or Derby boots for around £40, thanks to their heritage as working men's boot. These are Grafter's: all leather, including the lining, not the most beautiful hide, but hard-wearing and waterproof. £45 UK.
Grafters.jpg

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pablo-T
The beauty of this style, in the UK at least, is that you can get pretty good GOodyear welt brogue or Derby boots for around £40, thanks to their heritage as working men's boot. These are Grafter's: all leather, including the lining, not the most beautiful hide, but hard-wearing and waterproof. £45 UK.

Grafters.jpg

Wow, that's like a pair of Vans at retail. Makes me wish there was some ancient working class that did all their lumberjacking/masonry/etc. in tuxedoes.

nerazzurrri

Reaction score
Just trying to keep this thread going...

The soles of the Stow are pretty wide - but they're not a chunky boot.

TrickersMarch010.jpg

Grafters.jpg

Where can I get a pair?
bigstar[1].gif

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pablo how are those trickers not chunky??

Look at the sole, brogueing, thickness of leather, laces, brass eyelets, it's a derby etc

lol what more ticks on the chunky list do you want

Pablo-T

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Razele
Pablo how are those trickers not chunky??
The sole is wide/chunky, because it's a goodyear welt. The uppers on the Stow are lower and slimmer than a traditional derby boot like the Grafter's. Admittedly, a blake welt on something like a Paul Smith brogue would be much slimmer; but they won't take anything like the number of resoles that Tricker's will.

Grafter's - just Google them.

Someone mentioned the Doc Marten's Derby boots - you're better off looking for Solvair, these are still made in Northampton, rather than China. I believe they still do Derby's; and from street markets, these boots are still available for under £50!

solvair.jpg
solvair2.jpg

Earnest Hemingway

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn thats cheap, JtG sells solovairs for a lot more than that.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yo Pab I think you need to do more reading

The sole is thick as its double leather and its wide because of a design choice, goodyear welted soles can be trimmed back significantly.

Paul smith's shoes aren't always blake stitched, some are blake rapid, which is as good and can be better then goodyear welting. Blake rapid is just as easy to resole and you'll get just as much life out of it. The welting strip in alot of goodyear shoes is made of linen which means that it will eventually disintegrate, while most blake rapid welting strips are leather.

Trickers are chunky man they are a traditional country boot, how am I even arguing this

Pablo-T

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Razele
Yo Pab I think you need to do more reading

?

Duh, compare the Tricker's with the Grafter's; the Tricker's have a wide sole, but the uppers are less bulky. It doesn't take any reading; look at the photos.

IF you don't like Tricker's, cool. Mine have taken more resoles than my poor, dead, Paul Smith brogue boots. I do find it hilarious when people are prepared to spend hours arguing what are patently aesthetic judgements. But feel free to keep going, I'm sure you'll win everyone over.

duty_calls.png

Pablo-T

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nerazzurrri
Well I'd expect the PS boots to last a lifetime since they are like 20x the price
ffffuuuu.gif

Better still, show us the photos of your PS boots, resoled once or twice. If Blake Rapid is as good, and you've had your boots resoled, show us the proof! And tell us the name of your cobbler. My PS chelsea brogues of a few years ago were beautiful things. But I still resent having to bin them after doing the round of London cobblers, all whom told me they weren't great construction.

Sylvr

Reaction score
?

you must be confusing "chunky" with "bad".

chunky is neither inherently positive nor negative, its a description and razele is spot on. those boots you posted are undeniably chunky, and that is perfectly fine. they are not a bad boot. hell, i love my chunky redwing GTs in every color (dont have cigar yet) but there is no way i can trick anyone into believing its something its not.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads