• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Folded Up Shirt Appreciation

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kaplan
^ Thank you. It's a Barba.

Great Barba that´s my style. Is it Sea Island?

I got a quite similar one by Finamore. I never seen a Barba , I´m with mtm Finamore very happy but some italians has told me that Barba is far better than Borrelli and Finamore. Is it?

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's cotton. At first glance it looks to be on par with my Borrelli and Finamores.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kaplan
It's cotton. At first glance it looks to be on par with my Borrelli and Finamores.

Yes but Sea island is already cotton. Has it a soft tissue paper handle? In theory it should be better than those, but I was asking. Post some more!
worship.gif

banis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpallaCamiccia
Great Barba that´s my style. Is it Sea Island?

I got a quite similar one by Finamore. I never seen a Barba , I´m with mtm Finamore very happy but some italians has told me that Barba is far better than Borrelli and Finamore. Is it?

That's some bullshit that Barba is far better than Borrelli or Finamore. They are pretty much the same. The only advantage of Barba is that is is a little bit cheaper than others.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by banis
That's some bullshit that Barba is far better than Borrelli or Finamore. They are pretty much the same. The only advantage of Barba is that is is a little bit cheaper than others.

I was asking as I have never seen a Barba. But from must be quite dificult beat my Finamores, let me tell you.

coltboy75

Reaction score
^ I have the above from Modern Tailor in Small White Herringbone. The problem with that collar spread and height is the edge stitching. The collar stays can't get down to the bottom of the slot and the ends of the collar will bend outward.

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coltboy75
^ I have the above from Modern Tailor in Small White Herringbone. The problem with that collar spread and height is the edge stitching. The collar stays can't get down to the bottom of the slot and the ends of the collar will bend outward.
Keep in mind that this is not the natural state of the collar with respect to the shirt front. When you wear it, the tips do not bend. And even if they did a little, I usually don't mind that as it gives the collar a certain organic feel to it. I find tips that float in mid-air far less appealing. ETA: If it really bothers you, I think you might be able to instruct them to place the stitching closer to the edge (not sure I like the look, though). And really good collars don't need stays anyway...
wink.gif

coltboy75

Reaction score
Trust me the shirt and collar you have above will bend. I wore mine today and fought it for eight hours.

kngrimm

Reaction score
Couple relatively new shirts from Freddy Vandecasteele.

Dark blue stripe is TM goldline
Light blue/white is Grandi & Rubinelli

DSC01768.jpg

DSC01766.jpg

DSC01762.jpg

DSC01763.jpg

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coltboy75
Trust me the shirt and collar you have above will bend. I wore mine today and fought it for eight hours.

Request the stiff interlining. Request edge stitching.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kngrimm
Couple relatively new shirts from Freddy Vandecasteele.

i like the collar.

the first is like my favourite shirt...

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79
Request the stiff interlining. Request edge stitching.

Who wants a vulgar cardboard collar? - Isn't a softer collar so much smarter?

nicolasdegunzbergII.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads