• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Cool

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ninetofivereject
landlord has got to be a jew,that is a jew move if i ever saw one.

Thanks for letting the world know what an intelligent person you are
ffffuuuu.gif

ninetofivereject

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joe Cool
Thanks for letting the world know what an intelligent person you are
ffffuuuu.gif

i guarantee you a lot of people thought the same thing,they just wont admit it.
as far as my opinion,i thought we were all entitled to one and the freedom to say it,even if you dont happen to agree with it.or did i miss a memo?

Coal_Mining_Polak

Reaction score
as far as my opinion,i thought we were all entitled to one and the freedom to say it,even if you dont happen to agree with it.or did i miss a memo?

What's your opinion - some racist garbage founded on absolutely nothing? Please finish High School before you open your idiotic mouth!

Back to the thrift finds...

mystillwater

Reaction score

if that's the logic you want to use then you won't mind if i call you a racist douchebag. i guarantee more people agree with me than agree with you.

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

You're entitled to an opinion. Your opinion happens to be reprehensible, racist, anti-semitic and generally awful.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to stray, but you should know that experience is never certain, and the future isn't necessarily like the past. The fact is, it could have been anyone who decided to charge double rent, regardless of any quality about them, such as their heritage. This is, in fact, the most basic of philosophy, knowledge, and logic and by generalizing with stereotypes you have revealed your limited capacity to think.

That all being said, I wore my wingtips today and love the detail put into them. I will definitely be restoring them within a week or two.

WRAdvisor

Reaction score
So, has anyone found anything decent today at the stores? All this nonsense the past two pages is annoying.

I'm going tomorrow...hopefully I can report some good finds!

CEE88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by WRAdvisor
So, has anyone found anything decent today at the stores? All this nonsense the past two pages is annoying.

I'm going tomorrow...hopefully I can report some good finds!

...Now that you mention it, yes. I found these shoes (see attached, below) -- from Barrie Ltd. Booters.
They are an 11C, my exact size, and barely worn. They were literally crying out to me. I had to pick them up.

So, who is/was "Barrie Ltd. Booters?"
I did a quick internet search & learned Barries was located at 268 York Street, next to J.Press, in New Haven, CT -- right by Yale.
Barrie was owned by the Isaacs family, who had been selling great shoes in that same location from 1934 until they closed in 2003.

What do you think of the shoes? Did I stumble on a find (or just stumble)?
Unfortunately the shoes are not marked where they were made
(so if you know anything about where Barrie sourced their shoes I'd greatly appreciate hearing from you)

Here's a couple of links to info on the shop:

http://sorrentolens.wordpress.com/20...e-ltd-booters/

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...e-Ltd.-Booters

http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/un...ose-shop.print

j-press-and-barrie-ltd-20_-10__-10_-20_tonemapped-ele1.jpg

mystillwater

Reaction score
those are really nice looking shoes. don't know any more than you do about the maker but they appear to be of high quality. if you don't get any help here on finding more info, perhaps try Ask Andy About Clothes or one other other trad havens.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm familiar with Barrie Ltd....I once saw a pair of their NOS white bucks that were really nice and said 'custom grade' on the inside. They weren't my size and the store was asking $25-$30, if I recall, so I left them. But they looked like great shoes.

At the time I did some research (and started a short thread about them on the forum) and found out the store closed in 2003 when they were pushed out by a steep rent increase. Yours look very trad indeed.

EBTX66

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CEE88
...Now that you mention it, yes. I found these shoes (see attached, below) -- from Barrie Ltd. Booters...

Those look like a great find to me
worship.gif

I've been too busy to thrift since Friday. So help me, I'm so desperate that I'm looking on eBay. It may be time for an intervention...

A buddy from church did swing by and snag three of those Hickey Freeman suits that I had seen last Friday. They were $8 each. He went on and on about it Sunday. Ah, don't we all fondly recall our first time?
laugh.gif
I think we may have a new convert on our hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads