• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nyc Apt Search Help

costadelmar16

Reaction score
I'll be moving from the south to Nyc in June to start work. I've got 2 other friends from school that I'll be rooming with that are moving at the same time. I need to start looking for apartments and although Craigslist seems to be the best route, I won't be able to afford a trip up there to check out any of the apartments to make sure they're not tiny or a scam. I really don't want to have to pay a broker fee, so I was wondering if I could get some suggestions on what I should do. Thanks

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
You could try looking at Craigslist for a temporary sublease or possibly a renting a bedroom from people needing an extra roommate that would allow you to look at apartments while you're there.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by costadelmar16
I won't be able to afford a trip up there to check out any of the apartments to make sure they're not tiny or a scam.
A broker might be the best best in this case.
I really don't want to have to pay a broker fee
damn it!!

to make sure they're not tiny

if you don't want tiny, move to Jerz. Or Greenpoint. Or Astoria. Otherwise get used to tiny (or a new definition of tiny) in NYC.

racknac

Reaction score
i just found an apt in NYC last weekend, it was hectic looking at apts then getting things signed within 2 days.

you need to more specific with what your requirements are...

1. Where do you want to live? (ie. West Village, Chelsea, Union, Midtown)
2. How many rooms/bathrooms are you looking for.
3. What is your price range? Can you and your roommates afford 40x the rent? Do you have a guarantor?

If you don't want to pay a fee, you will probably need to travel up to go to NYC to look at places... basically try and deal directly with the owners. Its really getting to the hot season for moving right now and most landlords wont pay the broker fee at this time.

costadelmar16

Reaction score
I could try and sublet for a little while, the only problem is I will be starting as an Investment banking analyst and I'm going to be swamped with work and I really don't want to have to deal with moving twice.

-I'm not necessarily worried about it being tiny. The place I lived in this summer in the east village was small, but a lot bigger than I could of imagined. I just meant I don't want to get screwed over by pictures.

1. I'm looking to live in east village, LES, Flatiron, West Village, Soho, or GVill
2. Need 3 bedrooms, don't really care about the number of bathrooms.... 1 is fine.
3. Price range probably max out at $4000

Thanks

racknac

Reaction score
I could try and sublet for a little while, the only problem is I will be starting as an Investment banking analyst and I'm going to be swamped with work and I really don't want to have to deal with moving twice.

-I'm not necessarily worried about it being tiny. The place I lived in this summer in the east village was small, but a lot bigger than I could of imagined. I just meant I don't want to get screwed over by pictures.

1. I'm looking to live in east village, LES, Flatiron, West Village, Soho, or GVill
2. Need 3 bedrooms, don't really care about the number of bathrooms.... 1 is fine.
3. Price range probably max out at $4000

Thanks

i'd recommend going a little higher... maybe Union or Gramercy, more bang for your buck and easier to find those larger 3 bedrooms.

chas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by racknac
i'd recommend going a little higher... maybe Union or Gramercy, more bang for your buck and easier to find those larger 3 bedrooms.

In the areas that you mentioned above $4,000 will get you a nice 1br or an average (at best) 2br.

costadelmar16

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chas
In the areas that you mentioned above $4,000 will get you a nice 1br or an average (at best) 2br.

Are you referring to 4,000 in Union or Gramercy.... Or Evill, Wvill etc. The Apt I lived in this past summer was a large 3 bedroom and it was just rented for 3500.

chas

Reaction score
I thought you said you wanted a 3 br in - east village, LES, Flatiron, West Village, Soho, or GVill-
for under $4K.

That is specifically what I was referring to.

racknac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chas

i have a nice 1br for $2700... although my definition of nice dropped dramatically as I started looking at places.

costadelmar16

Reaction score
Is it really true that when you pay a fee to a broker, your rent can be lower since they management company doesn't have to pay the fee. And when you find a no fee apt the management company is just passing the fee along to you in the rent anyway. I know brokers tell this to people all the time, but is it accurate or just a line?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
it's true and it's what I did. And since I'm renewing my lease, I'll be saving quite a bit of money in year 2 since the slight rent increase will be based off of the lower rent from year 1.

costadelmar16

Reaction score
Someone mentioned that since its becoming the time for an influx in apt renting, they don't feel the need to provide a no-fee place. Like I said before I'll be living with 2 other people, one of the guys doesn't start his job until September, therefore isn't planning on moving to NYC until mid-august. Do you guys think it would be wise for me to just sublet a place till August and get a storage unit in the city? Do you guys think rent prices will come down by August? Or is that still considered a high volume renting month?

bant

Reaction score
i would strongly suggest that you or your roommate figure out a way to see the apartments in person. you're asking for major trouble renting something sight unseen. put some of that analyst signing bonus to good use and book a trip to nyc to check out a bunch of places.

in your price range, and depending on the location of your office, i would suggest sticking to east village/les, gramercy/flat iron/murray hill. soho/west vill/central vill will be too pricy and besides you're not going have much free time as it is to enjoy your home. in this regard, if you're working in midtown you should consider midtown. its not the sexiest but you will be appreciate the convenience of a 2 min commute when working 90 hr weeks.

in terms of broker fees, im sure some places that charge no fee pass them on - but as a rule of thumb always try to avoid them or at least try to negotiate them down. unfortunately thats not always possible but def worth a shot

edit -- also, depending on the firm your HR dept may be able to assist with relocation (not pay for it, but help you determine where to live, broker to use etc.)

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
do not rent a place in NYC sight unseen. Geeez. Also don't buy the batteries the guys sell on the subway. Also do not put any money down if you see a 3 card monte game. The people who are winning the money and getting paid are shills that work with the guy running the game.

Do not expect rents to go down in August. Things have bottomed out and are only going to head upwards.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads