• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Needing ideas for a completely new hairstyle - M/20

Mr. Clean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by trentarren
I've started a whole series of self-improvement things. I've already started doing weights daily (I may only be able to lift a 60lb barbell, but at least I'm doing it - this is the exercise I'm doing) and I've been cutting out all of the sodas (3-4 a day) and other ****** foods from my diet.

Congratulations, that's a very good start.

So, you want to change your looks. I am assuming that the underlying motivation is to be more attractive, correct? Keep in mind that for a man this primarily means to look "manly". Manly is first, looking "good" as in model looks comes second by a wide margin. Having said that, you are dealing with a few challenges here, some of which I share / have shared.

1. Hair colour - You may consider dying it, but only if you don't mind the constant extra effort.
2. Pony tail - This feature is questionable on any man, in my opinion, but for I really don't think it is very good. Keep the hair short.
4. Shape of your face, it is very round - Exercise and losing weight is key.
5. Very light eyebrows - This you should tackle first, if you have enough hair, dye it darker. I think it will help tremendously.

Finally, grow a beard if you can. I am not generally a big fan of beards, but I think it will be a welcome help to you.

Good luck!

Night Owl

Reaction score
laugh.gif
look like a lesbian with those glasses

you have a big round face, tiny glasses do not balance
better off with contacts or lasik
shrink your face asap

Mr.Pinchy

Reaction score
Just shave your head ASAP. Then we can talk about everything else.
53792746.jpg
21038368.jpg
Let's get you looking like a proper douchebag. Obligatory flippy hair doo? Check! You will be the best looking guy in computer science. EDIT: I made him smile
smile.gif
EDIT: If anyone wants my professional MS Paint skills or needs a flippy hair doo preview please send payment to [email protected]

rahulk

Reaction score
Nice job on the photoshop skillz. And to the guy who put up the original post, that photoshop image actually looks good. But might I suggest better glasses (something perhaps with a thinner frame) or perhaps even contacts? That would go better with the photoshopped look.

incastoutcast

Reaction score
Must say, I think you have potential. I've always appreciated a nerd who can hang out with the anonymous, and not come out of it an impolite snot. The first pic made your chin look worse than it is.

I very much second the larger glasses suggestion - the frames don't have to be thick (though it wouldn't kill you to try) and the glasses don't have to be huge - just a bit wider than the ones you tried.

Would you be willing to try a frame color other than black?

Also, can you grow facial hair? I have a bit of a weak chin/rounded face, and find the (currently NHL playoffs) beard does wonders for it.

Mr.Pinchy

Reaction score
If you don't start listening to the simple advice to get a haircut and you buy all of your accessories/clothing based on what best suits you now, this is what is going to happen:
me1.jpg
80439903.jpg
And before you know it you're a ******.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrisjustinparr
And before you know it you're a ******.

lmfao

lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As others have said, working out will help a lot. If you have access to one, try using an indoor rowing machine. It provides some of the best cardio you can do, and also gives you some strength and lean mass in the legs, core, back, and forearms. If you have any questions about rowing workouts or rowing in general, feel free to send me a PM.

As far as glasses go, you want frames that will lend some of the square, bold masculine features you currently lack . It would also be smart to avoid anything too dark, as this will emphasize the contrast with your light complexion. Something like these Moscot Zeligs might look good:
med_zelig-blonde-clear-4243.jpg

I concur with whomever suggested a McQueen-style haircut.

Prestwich

Reaction score
You have a pale complexion and blonde hair - as such, I feel that the thick-set, dark coloured (regarding your earlier point, the spelling probably gives away that this is an opinion from Europe!) plastic frames are overpowering on you.

I agree with the earlier post - get a shorter haircut, then try frames. I'd suggest that something metallic and discreet (even the 'frameless' style) may work better. If not, perhaps the plastic frames in a lighter colour - maybe tortoiseshell?

Good luck!

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you grow any facial hair? It's hard to tell from the lighting in your pictures. If you can, I would say cut your hair short on the sides and leave it a bit longer on the top. Then let your sideburns grow a little bit so you loose the boyish look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads