• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Countdown to Breaking Bad!!!

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Walt was like Augustus Gloop entering the Chocolate Room when he saw all of that lab equipment. And I loved the music they were playing when first laid eyes on the equipment.

Such a well written and filmed show - from the scene of Jesse in the strip club to Skyler talking to her lawyer, and the lawyer saying that she was half as qualified and twice as expensive as a therapist.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
And I loved the music they were playing when first laid eyes on the equipment.

Wasn't that awesome? And I loved the scene where Hank stumbles on the fat older couple in the RV...priceless!

The first few episodes, more than anything, were building up to something, and I think last night's episode was where it all starts to really happen. Hang on, it's going to be a bumpy ride!

that_was_easy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
The first few episodes, more than anything, were building up to something, and I think last night's episode was where it all starts to really happen. Hang on, it's going to be a bumpy ride!

I watched the two most recent episodes last night. They have, with respect to the pollo (now laundry) business, the private dick, relighting the cooking fire and the aforementioned secene when Walt lays eyes on the lab, completely busted down every narrative limit that might have appeared to constrain the show during the first few episodes. I'll admit I was getting a little cycnical and thought the show was slowing down and then Walt, minding his own business get knocked with over with a brick of money somebody threw at him and shouted "Your Half!". +1 on the above, if a decapated head on the shell of a sucide tortise bomber wasn't enough, well, there's more.
devil.gif

The line when the chicken man says something to the effect of "My apologies for making my behaviors so transparent'" is exactly the kind of line that makes The Wire work so well. Two people from seemingly obtuse backgrounds communicating on the level. **** is ******* lovely.

ms244

Reaction score
Anyone else notice how dark Jesse got? I think the brick throwing was the first act of violence
he willingly did?

Psyren

Reaction score
If anything it seems that rehab made him worse. He isn't using but he's convinced he's a bad person and therefore will act like one.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
and then we have the motivations of Walt to consider....his signing of the divorce papers removes any pretense of 'doing it for the family', 'love of the chemistry' is a factor, but at some point, greed has to be in there somewhere.

And the wife....so willing to forgive and fall for a dude who is committing all kinds of fraud 'for his family', but furious at her husband's breaches motivated by the same thing, but calling on a different skillset. In a way, both men are stealing bread to feed hungry kids, which we are all supposed to forgive, but there is a line somewhere between fudging financial documents, and supplying seriously potent drugs to the market...and in the meantime showing no signs of remorse for her own infidelity, and starting to be tempted by greed as she ponders the lifestyle that big black duffel bag offers her. Couple that with the fact that she is now complicit in the crimes of them both (assisting him with book-cooking, and as her own lawyer pointed out, an accessory to the drug crimes) with really no redeeming motivation for either...

Damn this show is fascinating.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
and then we have the motivations of Walt to consider....his signing of the divorce papers removes any pretense of 'doing it for the family', 'love of the chemistry' is a factor, but at some point, greed has to be in there somewhere.

But remember what el pollo says, that as long as he has kids, he still has family.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
But remember what el pollo says, that as long as he has kids, he still has family.

And that he should always provide, whether he is liked or disliked. I think that's what made him start cooking and sign the papers - for the infant.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
there's more than enough in the bag to see that through...already laundered and good to go. Nah, it's not about making sure the kids are looked after any more...

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
there's more than enough in the bag to see that through...already laundered and good to go. Nah, it's not about making sure the kids are looked after any more...

No, his initial plan was for around $790,000. There isn't that much in the bag; he's kept having to pay people off, buy equipment, etc. He does need more, but greed is also an ingredient.

David Watts

Reaction score
aaw5qd.jpg
Riverdance! Yet again, the music during the lab montage ("Ginza" by Vince Guaraldi of Peanuts fame), was all killer no filler. I was also happy to see one last, classic RV moment before bidding farewell.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That was awesome! The scare with Hank was great, as was the way they figured things out. And the whole "best cup of coffee" bit was the funniest thing I've seen this season. Of course, the new development with the Mexican hit men gives an entirely new twist to the plot. It just gets better and better.

However, the changes they've made make me wonder: how far can they keep this going without either (1.) reformulating the whole show or (2.) getting rid of most of the main characters. It'll be interesting to see where this all leads...and how long it lasts.

David Watts

Reaction score
The coffee setup reminded me of one of these. Also, did anyone notice that Walt's new lab assistant was the ineffectual newspaper editor from the last season of The Wire? So, Gus was planning for him to learn, then recreate Heisenberg's formula? And the eagerness of the cousins to terminate WW threw a monkey wrench into the plans? Plus, Hank (although outsmarted last night) is still a Bad Motherfucker. No way he let's the cousins get the drop on him...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads